What are you going to give up on Lent?

by DoubleVision 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DoubleVision
    DoubleVision

Well I was listening to the news this morning and they were talking about Lent starting Ash Wednesday the 25 th , I believe. They talked about how on Lent you are suppose to give up something you like or crave.

Wikipedia say’s “ There are traditionally forty days in Lent which are marked by fasting, both from foods and festivities, and by other acts of penance. The three traditional practices to be taken up with renewed vigour during Lent are prayer (justice towards God), fasting (justice towards self), andalmsgiving (justice towards neighbour). Today, some people give up a vice of theirs, add something that will bring them closer to God, and often give the time or money spent doing that to charitable purposes or organizations ”.

Well, I don’t know about all of you but being I gave 25 + of my years to the Watchtower, I figured I gave enough for a life time.

So what about you?

Are you still giving up something?

Have you left the “truth” and started giving up something new that’s a sacrifice to you?

DV

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'm going to give up this pathetic life of abstinance and indulge myself for a change.

W

• blondie
    blondie

Not a thing, I don't observe Lent. I feel fasting or something similar should be a personal choice.

• Priest73
    Priest73

The only lint I observe is in my belly button, or the dryer trap. But I will "give it up" for the gods of clean/dry laundry

Can I get an Amen?

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Yesterday I received an email from a fellow church member with a writing with some suggestions on what to give up for Lent. They were meaningful to me personally and this is what I'm going to try to give up for Lent:

1. Judging others. This was so well taught to me in my JW childhood. It is difficult to purge from your mind but I'm going to really try.

2. Words that pollute.

3. Discontent.

4. Anger. I am still angry about my parents raising me as a JW. And that anger permeates into other areas of my life. I't time to move on.

5. Pessimism. Another teaching from my JW childhood. And there is much to be pessimistic about right now if that is how you tend to be.

6. Complaining. I need to appreciate all the good things that I have and the life that I have built for myself as an adult.

7. Negatives. I'm going to concentrate on affirmatives. There was so much negativity in my life from my mother and from the JWs.

8. Hostility. I'm going to concentrate on being non-resistant. My life will be better.

I'll stop at 8.

• StAnn
    StAnn

For lent, I'm giving up "clutter." Yesterday I donated three bags of very nice clothes that no longer fit me (via Freecycle). I will give something away every day of Lent, either via Freecycle or by taking donations to a charity shop. I try to clean my house, top to bottom, floors to ceilings, every year during Lent as a kind of personification of Lent being a season for interior cleansing of the soul.

Lent hasn't started yet but I've discovered that I can't clean thoroughly in only 40 days, given that I still have to accomplish the rest of life's day to day chores, so I'm starting a little early. My home will look beautiful by Easter, though!

StAnn

• undercover
    undercover

I'm going to clean the lint trap in the clothes dryer...so I'll give up lint on Lent.

• Priest73
    Priest73
    I'm going to clean the lint trap in the clothes dryer...so I'll give up lint on Lent.

I'll take that echo as an Amen...

• undercover
    undercover

Amen, brother

Let us bow down to the god of the toejam as well...

• Priest73
    Priest73
    Let us bow down to the god of the toejam as well...

Yes. And let us stop there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit