How do you answer "you research just to criticize"?

by undercover 47 Replies latest jw friends

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

I researched so that I could defend myself from elders who twisted scriptures to win a point or to be in control of a situation.

Small example ; I accused an elder B.D. of stumbling me an in his duty as elder, he showed me in the book of Romans where it says we can’t be stumbled, because of my knowledge I was able to showed him also in Romans where you can .

This is a prime example of elders "controlling" a situation, fortunately we are not in the dark ages where the leaders could get away with this sort of thing. We know as much as them, ……which nowadays I found isn’t much.

KT

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Hey thanks bennyk,

Proverbs 18

13 "When anyone is replying to a matter before he hears [it], that is foolishness on his part and a humiliation."

(get the facts before answering)

15 The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out.

(be open to new ideas)

17 The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him.

(make sure you hear both sides of the story before judging)

All three princibles center around seeking additional information the alternative is being prejudice.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Always speak the truth,………………………but leave immediately afterwards.

KT

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Hey Undercover,

Lots of good thoughts on this thread. I'll add mine for what they're worth. Here are a few options. Which one to use (or combine) depends on the situation and person.

1. Combative Approach: Dismiss the question as cowardly and fallacious. Ask him why he's afraid to actually discuss the merits of what you've found. Don't the Witnesses research *other religions* "just to criticize" or to find holes in their teachings that can be exploited in the ministry? If this is *the truth* then it should stand up to at least as much scrutiny as Babylon the Great, right? Perhaps even throw some scripture at him (I love 1 John 4:1 about not believing every inspired expression, but rather testing what is said).
    2. Softer Approach: Deny the accusation. Explain that you have sincere questions to which you have not received satisfactory answers. Remind them of the Bereans and also that Jesus said that God was to be worshipped "with spirit and truth." If the person asking the question is a convert, perhaps politely ask if members of his former religion could have accused him of the same thing (i.e., researching the Bible to prove his old religion wrong).
    3. Full Disclosure: If the person asking the question is a close friend who may be receptive, ask him if he really wants to know why you do this research. Explain how you started researching certain issues and things didn't add up, leading to the inevitable conclusion that the WTS is not what it claims to be. Of course, this is a risky option...but I thought I would throw it out there.
  • undercover
    undercover

OMG,

I've actually "threatened" full disclosure with a couple of people who applied too much pressure. Interesting though that when push came to shove, they chickend out and didn't want to really know.

I'm in favor of the "combative approach" combined with the "softer approach". It's important to keep the attention on the research, not the researcher. JWs, or anyone in a similar controlled situation, will question and discredit the researcher first. Deflection of the debate is standard modus operandi of a JW.

If you can keep them focused on the research, you can actually present the evidence. They might not accept it but it could plant a seed of doubt that could take root later.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Tell them you're researching to find out what the "enemy" (i.e. the rest of the world) is up to, so you will be prepared to defend dubism from any kind of attack. It's actually strengthening your faith! Recommend that they do the same. Tell them how helpful it is to understand how worldly people think.

• inkling
    inkling
    accused me of researching just to purposely find something wrong

This strikes me as being quite ironic, considering that the reaction to OTHER peoples
    beliefs (when met in the field ministry) is to research, not with an attempt to understand
    the persons religious belief at any real depth or nuance, but rather to find it's weakest
    points so that it might be proven wrong, and the witness belief offered as the obvious
    correct alternative to the error of their ways.

sigh...

[inkling]

• bennyk
    bennyk

"’Are we at the End of the World?’ was the subject of

Mr. Rutherford’s address. This was his first public appearance

in Brooklyn since the death of Pastor Russell.

"’Criticism of a man is hardly the proper course for a

Christian,’ he said, ’but criticism of a man’s teachings is always

proper. " (Watch Tower, 15. June 1917 [Reprints page 6104])

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit