What's Peculiar About Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 14 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

One thing that always struck me was that they were always sick or thinking they were. And they were more depressed than "worldly" people.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Some were just ignorant to what is going around them...they never watch the news.

• minimus
    minimus

Until the news was from the Devil, I knew a lot of JWs that kept up with the news and Bible prophecy.

• jws
    jws

I don't know whether it's particular to JWs, but there were a lot of them into herbal remedies and vitamins like Shaklee.

I still know an ex-JW that distrusts regular medicine in favor of what (to me) seems like snake oil salesmen. I think it comes from some fundamental belief that God created everything we need to fix ourselves and that ancient remedies were what God had in mind for us. Combine that with a general distrust of the establishment cultivated by the JWs and he's falling for Amway, seeweeds, coral calcium, Shaklee, and others.

• minimus
    minimus

JWs love to make $$$ without really working. Pyramid schemes were real big for them in the 70s.

• poppers
    poppers

Shaklee: true story. For years I had problems with boils on my back. No matter what I did I couldn't stop them from coming. A co-worker got me to try their basic vitamin pill and protein drink, just those two products and nothing else. Within a matter of a couple of weeks the boil problem resolved itself. Even after stopping Shaklee a few months later I remain free of them more than 30 years later. Now, I probably could have had a better diet to begin with and maybe I wouldn't have had the problem, but I haven't changed my diet at all and still there is no problem. Maybe my co-worker was a JW - I don't really know, but I got something out of Shaklee that I'm grateful for.

• minimus
    minimus

So, if you weren't a JW, you would've never gotten better!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

One thing they know how to do is use any story to proclaim how close we are to the end. Good news--Peace and Security. Bad news--The Great Tribulation.

• Mandette
    Mandette

They repeat things like automatons. The same phrases over and over. It's so obvious that they're not thinking for themselves.

Ones that I knew around here were into high colonics. What a stupid thing to do. One dub that I knew tried to get off on medical leave due to what a "colon therapist" told him. He even had some pale imitation of a doctor's slip written by this woman.

There's so much negativity about EVERYTHING. If it's not part of the society, then it's bad bad bad!!!!!!!

• minimus
    minimus

If you repeat something (even a lie) long enough, people start to believe it as accepted fact.

From the beginning of Watchtower, medical doctors were no good, so any other gimmick was acceptable----even if it killed you!

It's easy to tear down, hard to give a plan of positivity, especially when your beliefs are a sham.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit