Need scans of the 1975 apology watchtower

by 1914BS 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 1914BS
    1914BS

The WTS evidently made a lame apology about the 1975 blunder in a Watchtower magazine. Does anyone have a scan of that?. Also needed is the Watchtower where the Society blamed the Witnesses for the 1975 blunder.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Sorry I don't have a scan. But just for FYI:

The WT blamed it on its members in the 7/15/76 WT (not sure which page).

Then the apology was written in the 3/15/80 WT, pgs 17,18. Ray Franz says he was the one to write the apology, according to COC.

If you're going to show this to a current Dub, I would suggest getting a scan of the Kingdom Ministry where the WT praised all those who were selling their homes. That one is in the May 1974 KM. You can easily find a scan of that one online by doing a search.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Watchtower-1976-July-15-p.441 "If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment,but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises." Watchtower-1980-March-15-pp.17-18 Hold to Your Choice! In saying "anyone," The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah's Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date."

• sir82
    sir82

That's gotta be one of the most mealy-mouthed, meaningless, and useless apologies I can conceive of.

"It is to be regretted"?

Let's see how well that phrase works in other situations:

"It is to be regretted that your beloved cat Fluffy ate the poison that apparently was mixed in with her food when I fed her."

"It is to be regretted that your mother, my very own mother-in-law, suffered multiple stab wounds in the course of her overbearing criticism of me."

"It is to be regretted that your brand new Lotus was driven into a fire hydrant, and that I was in the driver's seat when the incident occurred."

Somehow, that phrase just seems to lack, oh, what's the word? Sincerity? Humility? Failure to recognize responsibility?

Idiots.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Responsibility

The state of being responsible, accountable, or answerable, as for a trust, debt, or obligation.

That for which anyone is responsible or accountable; as, the responsibilities of power.

Ability to answer in payment; means of paying. http://www.brainyquote.com/words/re/responsibility212663.html (1980 Yearbook,pp.30-31) "The brothers also appreciated the candor of this same talk, which acknowledged the Society's responsibility for some of the disappointment a number felt regarding 1975."
  • 1914BS
    1914BS

Thankyou Atlantis for these scans!!!

I never read that WT apology before - amazing!!!

• oompa
    oompa

tag...oh i wish i had been an adult in 1975...i woulda been so outta there...i hope......oompa

• watson
    watson

"It is regretted that the Faithful and Discreet Slave got the wrong vibe from above about 1975." Or, as Chris Farley would say..."Whoopsie daisy!"

• donny
    donny

Just the fact that they had to post these "explanations" regarding 1975 proves that they indeed promoted the idea that 1975 would see the end of the current system. It is so irriating to hear the younger JW's state that no such claim had ever been made regarding that year. I am just sorry that I had no one to tell me this stuff back in 1982 when I began my ten year sojourn through the Watchtower jungle.

Donny

• factfinder
    factfinder

The scans are all too blurry to read!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit