Any Vegans on the Board?

by PrimateDave 69 Replies latest jw friends

• inkling
    inkling
    Let's all eat a bloody steak to celebrate.

Of course, we have all been carefully ignoring any underlying ethical issues...

"I'm sorry Mr. Cow, I know you have hopes and dreams and feelings, but you are effing delicious, and I am going to eat you."

Yeah, I am going to just pretend those don't exist. Ethics make my steak taste funny.

[inkling]

• shamus100
    shamus100

inkling,

no they don't. They're cows. And WHEN you eat your steak, it's delicious - or you eat chicken, or whatever - and you don't feel bad. You feel satisfied.

Meat, meat, meat! Yum! Of course, I'm one of those jerks who's never killed a cow, never will kill a cow, and never will see it happen. I heard they scream like flowers when you touch them.

Okay, I'm making no sense. Please disregard.

• inkling
    inkling
    Mr. Cow, I know you have hopes and dreams and feelings,

no they don't. They're cows.

Well, exactly. That's the question. I don't really think they do, at least not as much as some of the "higher" animals,
    but it's a fair question to ask and think about. Saying "they are not like us, so it's ok to do whatever" has made alot of
    sense to humans in the past, and allowed them to enjoy such things as slavery and live autopsy on dogs.

I'm just saying, we should'nt assume we have allready achived the highest-possible ethical water mark.

[inkling]

• beksbks
    beksbks

Shamus you are obviously suffering from a hemp hearts deficiency.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Where did Dave go? Come back Dave!! I want to help you with your menus!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Wow, you guys/gals are fast! I've been typing too much. lol!

beksbks, why do you say that it is difficult to get enough protein on a Vegan diet? What is your source of information? I agree that a "vegetarian" diet consisting of prepared, manufactured foods would be highly deficient. I am in a gradual transition. I finished off the last of my eggs yesterday for breakfast. I had prunes and bananas for snacks between meals. I ate a peanut butter and pineapple jelly sandwich for lunch. At dinner time I ate vermicelli with meatless spaghetti sauce, black beans (beans, onion, garlic, bell pepper, seasonings) with tomato salsa and organic blue corn chips. Breakfast today included fresh bananas and oatmeal sweetened with stevia. I made some iced tea with stevia sweetener, too.

shamus, you didn't really eat a vegetarian diet if you included fish. Also, I'm only guessing, but you may have suffered from iron deficiency with that diet. One of my sources indicates that dairy products including cheese may hinder iron absorption. Honestly, I don't know either. It is just a guess on my part.

inkling, humans and other primates share characteristics with herbivores such as type and form of teeth, well developed salivary glands, alkaline saliva, weak stomach acid, and long intestinal tract. Even chimpanzees consume 95% of their diet from plant sources, and a major portion of the remaining 5% is termites (for their b12 content). High protein consumption is cited by different studies as a possible factor in the development of osteoporosis. I admit that the result of any scientific study can vary with its design. A book that I am reading by John Robbins (Diet for a New America) cited numerous studies made in the 70's and 80's that were negative towards the dairy industry. Naturally, the dairy industry has used its financial resources to fund its own studies. Personally, I love milk, cheese, and ice cream. But, I don't see them as the "health" foods that the industry has promoted for decades. YMMV.

David, what I am learning is that getting enough protein is a non-issue that has been popularized in our culture. A truly protein deficient diet would amount to starvation or at least severe malnutrition. The real problem is excess protein in our modern diet.

Dave

• PrimateDave
  • shamus100
    shamus100

That's right, DAve. I was a wussy vegetarian.

How many people have I known that have stuck it out being a vegetarian (I don't mean vegan)? Zero.

beseks, you bore me. Be gone!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

It's easier today to follow a vegan diet than in the past.

I have a couple of vegan friends, however they have to take many supplements to compensate. For example many people are iron deficiency. You can get iron from vegetables such as spinach, however the body does not absorb it in the same was as the body absorbs iron from a piece of meant.

If you can follow that diet and are happy with it good for you but remember that veganism is not a magic bullet that will cure all the ills of the body.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Of course, as inkling has stated, we have conveniently bypassed the ethical issues of using animals for human food consumption. The factory farms are not run with your health in mind, so much as to generate a profit in a competitive marketplace. Do you really know what these egg laying chickens are being fed?

Factory Farming

beksbks, I would love to have some recipe ideas from you! Just don't include or as ingredients.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit