Growing up a Jehovah's Witness

by jwfacts 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• beksbks
    beksbks
    I think those of us that really did try to make this thing work and whose faith was developed around these concepts have a very difficult time becoming "regular" people. Getting out of it wreaks havoc with your core being and you just have to work really hard to keep facing reality and not fall back under the theocratic spell we grew up with.

Hey there MostlyDead!! I saw your welcome thread, but didn't see you.

I can't necessarily say I tried to make this thing work. It just was, it was all there was.

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

My pleasure New South Wales. Thanks for the thread.

Mostly Dead, I love the term "theocratic spell" - that gave me a good chuckle.

Had lots to do this evening, don't know what inspired me to check in, soooooooo glad I did.

"Grateful, grateful, truly blessed and duly grateful".

Sloboy's wife aka Dragonfly5

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Boy did this remind me of my childhood. I was a kid in school in the 70's. I longed for a permanent home, mornings watching cartoons and having friends from school over. But instead my parents were living like vagabonds, pioneering here there and everywhere the "need was greater". Didn't they know their child had needs? I went to 11 schools from first grade to ninth grade. Ninth grade was when my elder/pioneer father decided he wasn't in to it anymore (1975 came and went), he left, have not seen him since. Oh, but mom made sure I had that super JW upbringing by remarrying that same year. I can relate to every point you made. That orange paradise book scared the bejeebers out of me. You can't go back and reset you psyche to not be raised terrified. It just controlled every aspect of your life that should have been new fun and exciting, like school activities, sports, dating, college, marriage and having your own children. Thank you for sharing your perspective, makes me realize I may not be crazy!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

WoW! Talk about time warp! I feel sick reading that. I would be eaten up with guilt for stupid things and for the "bigger"ones like masturbation - I used to literally cry about why I couldn't control myself & why Jehovah would take those feelings away. For most of my life I lived it - thank goodness I got out when I was 29. thank goodness I did get a good job & provided for my future.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

The only comment that I could say is that a child born in 1960 would now be nearly 50 years old. I think this would be more beneficial if it were set up for people in their 20's or 30's. People in their 40's usually have come to grips with stuff, they're set in their lives (unless they recently left), most people leave in their 20's and they would still be dealing with this stuff.

Also it would be more recent teachings and couldn't simply be relegated to "old light".

• mary stewart
    mary stewart

well, i fell catholics are untrue xtians cos of the tradition and similarity to the witnesses. that cos of my upbringing?

not too sure how anyone can base what they do on the bible, like the statues/saints and the transubstatiation. them literally thinking they eat jesus yet apparently hating cannibalism makes the doctrine hypocritical. one general xtian thing is where's the basis of the 'god in flest' concept? seems like an assumption to me. even if i'm a trin-believing atheist. there are GOOD parts of catholics, they apologised for the paedophilia. witenesses never have! they pretend it never happens!! and ccatholics are allowed to go to college and think. i bet the witnesses see the rocket boys in 'october sky' as evil cos they went to college and encourage college education as a way to siccess that it is. i wish i went to college. but i'm too old now imho. and i'm unemployed.

• besty
    besty
    "Behind this passion for convert-winning is the firm conviction of the Witnesses that the end of human history is imminent. They expect it to come at any hour, and almost certainly within the next 10 years." Watchtower1968 Aug 1 p.466

great catch - never saw that quote before....combine that with

"Bible chronology which indicates that Adam was created in the fall of the year 4026 B.C.E. would bring us down to the year 1975 C.E. as the date marking 6,000 years of human history with yet 1,000 years to come for Christ's Kingdom rule. So whatever the date for the end of this system, it is clear that the time left is reduced, with only approximately six years left until the end of 6,000 years of human history." Watchtower 1970 May 1 p.273

and leave the '75 deniers with no wiggle room.

Side point. Sorry - great work on the new part of your site....

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

I think the content is really good. Not too overdramitised but making the points nonetheless.

However from a design/aesthetic point of view....
    Personally I think you ought to change the colours. The black background is quite oppressive and off-putting for people worried about looking at anything anti-jw. The black makes it look a bit bad/evil/scary rather than welcoming, inviting and informative.
    Also the capitals make it look like the words are being shouted. So perhaps change to small letters in a different font to distinguish from the quotes you use.

Otherwise, its a very good idea and well-executed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit