the high cost of divorcing a JW............

by oompa 89 Replies latest social relationships

• oompa
    oompa

Divorce is hard for everyone, unless the person is just jumping for joy to get out it.....but even then it can be rough....and you lose half your assets.....some people stay in bad marriages just because they can not AFFORD to be divorced.......

But esp if you are a BORN IN JW.....you know what is so unfair compared to NORMAL non-JW divorces?????....what is so FUKKIN UNFAIR?!?!.......that you lose ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!!!!.......For most, the pain of hurting your mate is awful.....plus all the stress and crap, and money thing.......but only us born-in dubs.......lose all friends and family.....that is a lot to deal with.....it scares me............oompa

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Any way you look at it divorce is hard I guess. I've never been thru one but damm close to it. Not being a born in and all I have in da sh#t is my wife and inlaws. I wouldn't be losing as much as a born in but the thought still lingers.

• oompa
    oompa

funny i just vented in a post on your apostatherapy thread quirky.......oomps

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

So true. But for me its worth it.

Isaac

• flipper
    flipper

OOMPA- Very true points you make. I've been through 2 divorces in my life - and yes the witness divorce was the hardest because of the stigma about shunning. But even in my non-witness divorce 5 years ago , people still tend to take sides on issues depending which friends are close to either of your families. So don't berate yourself if you are going to go through this. You would suffer friendshiplosses as a witness, or a non-witness. Really doesn't matter. Divorce is divorce . The main thing to worry about is staying close to your children, and helping them cope with the new circumstance. Also a big key - stay dignified and don't go around to your or her friends badmouthing an ex-wife . It makes you look like the bigger, more classy person if you just move on and as the Beatles said, " Let it Be". The ex-mate may not , but who cares - just keep your dignity. Anyway- just some thoughts from one who has been there - twice ! You will live to love another day. Worked for me- I finally found the right woman. Take care, Peace out and hang in there ! Mr. Flipper

• undercover
    undercover
    ...the witness divorce was the hardest because of the stigma about shunning. But even in my non-witness divorce 5 years ago , people still tend to take sides on issues depending which friends are close to either of your families.

Of the non-JW divorces I've witnessed, it does seem to be that people take one side or the other...especially family. But I've heard people joke about who got what friends in the divorce, since the couple was friends with other couples. If they were friends with one couple through the guy, then he "kept" them; if through the wife, then she "kept" them. In most cases in a non-JW (or other fundie/cult group), one person doesn't come out completely shunned or without support from family/friends.

Of the JW divorces I've witnessed, it was usually the person DFd or reproved (either publicly or privately - and face it, there are no real secrets at the hall) that ended up losing all the friends and family. He/she might lose the in-laws, but then their own JW family would shun them. I can attest to a situation in my extended family where the parents of the DFd mate, became closer friends to the ex-spouse, shunning their own child.

No divorce is easy or cheap, but it does seem to be more stressful when in the JW faith.

• oompa
    oompa
    flipper: But even in my non-witness divorce 5 years ago , people still tend to take sides on issues depending which friends are close to either of your families. So don't berate yourself if you are going to go through this. You would suffer friendshiplosses as a witness, or a non-witness. Really doesn't matter.

sorry flipper...i feel you are WAY off base on this one!!....and undercover does too i think....so if "people take sides depending"....that means you only lose SOME friends...............i lose ALL!!!!..........nearly every single moment with friends and family....every conversation in my life... has been with dubs...as far as friends and family go......i am fukkin fourth generation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....kinda funny...my jw wife is so nice....even my non-JW employees would hate me for leaving her!.....crap!........

and what sucks even more.......is i would not just hurt her once...but TWICE!!!......cause if i did give her the coffee (GROUNDS) for divorce....she would fukkin FORGIVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........so then i would break her in half with the "NO THANKS....I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!.......

so i would lose a lot of coin in a DV........and i can handle that i think, i would have enough left over i hope......God has blessed me in the business/coin world......but when i say i lose EVERTHING i am not talking about coin........my parents already need me some......they are retired and not in perfect health.......i so hated nearly everything JW!!!!........except the friends...really good people......really they are.....and my family......really good people.......and my son at Bethel......really good son........hell i may even lose my df son......he really loves his jwstepmom....she is a great person........NOBODY hates her....or ever has.......I DON'T!!!..........

she has but up with soooooooo much crap from me and one of my sons.......and my ex......you would not believe!....really she has.....a saint.......but to give up what i would have to.......is just sick....and i hate JW even more now.....for making it that way......and yet.....if i stay in this.......not only may i be giving up on an incredible person i could be with some day.......i am giving up on my life's dream......because me an my wife do not have that in common..........................................cause she would miss to many meetings.............................oompa

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

My husband (a divorcee) described disfellowshipping as multiple divorces without the lawsuit.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Although I usually agree with Mr. Flipper, I know from experience that divorcing a jw is worse than a worldly divorce. I was a domestic violence victim, of which my jw family was aware, but when I was df'd over circumstances surrounding my divorce, they shunned me and continue to do so right down to this day.

Oompa, how can you be so sure your wife would forgive adultery? It would be the perfect opportunity for her to be free to marry a "spiritual" man (gag).

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Oompa..you are right.

My husband lost all of his family - in laws, xwife, kids, siblings, parent..as well as every friend he had. It was extremely difficult because even to rent an apartment or get a new job or need a reference for anything, he had nobody to contact. This created more problems on top of all the other issues he was dealing with. His x moved all his belongings to another location - even all the family pictures - so he had no access to one single photo of his kids. He could not access any financial information etc because of the extreme hatred and shunning.

Marriage to a worldly woman later on of course sealed the deal of hatred and shunning forever. We have a letter from an elder in the old congregation attesting to the fact that reinstatement would be refused because he married a worldly woman....so for anybody listening - if you think that JW's won't take negative action or dislike your non JW mate - you should think again.

This is not the same treatment that I received in the non witness world. My family did not shun me for my decision. They did not shun my husband. My ex sister in law still emails me and we are on great terms. Employers had no problem with me. My family's acceptance of my husband into the fold, was based on how I was treated...not by his religion. Their treatment of me in my decisions is based on their concern, respect and love for me. Two very different ways of handling the situation and the lives of their family member.

The very idea that a separated and then divorced JW can be accused of adultery when they remarry is ludicrous at the very least and pathetic at most. How juvenile and how judgemental..perhaps the society would be better off dealing with some real issues within the ranks...like lack of forgiveness and compassion...instead of encouraging this kind of persecution and hatred. Might make them all happier people. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit