Joel Osteen on Larry KIng

by Scarred for life 28 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Joel is a very good speaker but his prosperity gospel is not the gospel of the Bible.

When have you ever heard him preach about Jesus for any length of time?

He only talks about what it takes for you to make yourself feel good.

He selects scriptures from here and there just like the WTBTS does to enhance the point he is trying to make.

No real substance in his preaching as to doing what Jesus says to do.

HappyDad

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I like Olsteen. I haven't ever heard speak of God in a hellfire type way. He is very positive and isn't a character like a lot of the TV evangelists are.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di9-PebV634&feature=related

I think Joel is just another commercial artist exploiting the belief in the bible until his pockets are full just like the other gospel preachers of the past,

most people do not know and realize these big money preachers are making millions ever year all gathered up tax free and hidden from the eyes of the flock of whom

the took it from. The typical scenario of these guys is gather up the money and then live a life of luxury and spender for the rest of their lives away from the flock

that they fleeced.

• avishai
    avishai

Hmmm...BA mostly quoting ex-pharisee paul and old testament stuff, instead of radical loving, reforming Jesus. Kinda interesting, huh? Joel Osteen reminds me far more of Jesus' message rather than the JW, old testament kill-everybody-who-isn't-like-you doctrine. Or Paul. Those were LETTERS folks, not books, meant to be holy scripture later. Paul was a joke. Also not surprised @ the formerly respected by me until he showed what a bigot he was happy dad that he does'nt get Jesus message from Osteen.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Take what works good for you, and carry on. Nobody has it all, just pieces of it.

S

• beksbks
    beksbks

Joel Osteen's Evangeliyuppie message is about Joel Osteen making another buck.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    Hmmm...BA mostly quoting ex-pharisee paul and old testament stuff, instead of radical loving, reforming Jesus. Kinda interesting, huh?

Thank you, Avishai!

In order that I balance Paul's teachings with those of my Lord:

The Blessed Attitudes:

Matthew 5:3-12 (compare Luke 6:20-23):

"How blessed are those who are destitute in spirit, because the kingdom of heaven belongs to them!

"How blessed are those who mourn, because it is they who will be comforted!

"How blessed are those who are humble, because it is they who will inherit the earth!

"How blessed are those who are hungry and thirsty for righteousness, because it is they who will be satisfied!

"How blessed are those who are merciful, because it is they who will receive mercy!

"How blessed are those who are pure in heart, because it is they who will see God!

"How blessed are those who make peace, because it is they who will be called God's children!

"How blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, because the kingdom of heaven belongs to them!

"How blessed are you whenever people insult you, persecute you, and say all sorts of evil things against you falsely because of me! Rejoice and be extremely glad, because your reward in heaven is great! That's how they persecuted the prophets who came before you."

As an individual, a human being with the faculties of observation and reason, compare Joel Osteen's message with those of the Lord he says he serves and teaches about. Do some Google searches on his message, his teachings, for example.

Also:

Matthew 19:24 - Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to squeeze through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to get into the kingdom of God."

If Joel O. is endeavouring to live up to Christ's teachings, his life, his income, his donations should exemplify his teacher. one would think? Again, Google the appropriate keywords, decide for yourself.

Salt and Light in the World - Matthew 5:13-16 (compare Mark 9:50; Luke 14:34-35):

"You are the salt of the world. But if the salt should lose its taste, how can it be made salty again? It's good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled on by people.

"You are the light of the world. A city located on a hill can't be hidden. People don't light a lamp and put it under a basket but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before people in such a way that they will see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

Again, you know the drill. Compare Joel O. with the words of Jesus Christ, written above. Google is your friend.

Now, Matthew 6:1-4:

Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of people in order to be noticed by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So whenever you give to the poor, don't blow a trumpet before you like the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets so that they will be praised by people. I tell you with certainty, they have their full reward! But when you give to the poor, don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be done in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

And Matthew 6: 5-15:

"And whenever you pray, don't be like the hypocrites who love to stand in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they will be seen by people. I tell you with certainty, they have their full reward!But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees from the hidden place will reward you.

"When you are praying, don't say meaningless things like the gentiles do, because they think they will be heard by being so wordy. Don't be like them, because your Father knows what you need before you ask him. "Therefore, this is how you should pray:

‘Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy.

May your kingdom come.

May your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our sins,

as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us.

And never bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’

Because if you forgive people their offenses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

But if you do not forgive people their offenses, your Father will not forgive your offenses."

Matthew 6:19-21:

Stop storing up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But keep on storing up treasures for yourselves in heaven, where moths and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal, because where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Where is Joel Osteen storing up treasures, and where is he encouraging his followers to store up treasures?

When Joel Osteen says : "Be a person of excellence", where and what is he referring to?

When Joel Osteen says, on Aug 7, 2008: "I think God wants us to be prosperous", where and what is he referring to?

Okay.

I will stop here, because I could easily write a book about this.

How many charlatans does it take for people to wake up to their message?

Out of the frying pan and into the fire?

I will leave you with these as further reading:

http://benwitherington.blogspot.com/2006/03/whats-wrong-with-prospering-gospel.html

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdopinion/2008/08/a_love_that_scares_us.html

BA- Good night, all.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Exactly, 10 years from now you wont hear a word from him, why ? because he'll be off in a secluded location somewhere where people can't see how

much money he took in spreading the word of god........I wonder what Jesus would think of doing such a grievous of a thing !

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    Joel is a very good speaker but his prosperity gospel is not the gospel of the Bible.

When have you ever heard him preach about Jesus for any length of time?

He only talks about what it takes for you to make yourself feel good.

He selects scriptures from here and there just like the WTBTS does to enhance the point he is trying to make.

No real substance in his preaching as to doing what Jesus says to do.

HappyDad

You got it, HappyDad!

I think Joel is just another commercial artist exploiting the belief in the bible until his pockets are full just like the other gospel preachers of the past,

most people do not know and realize these big money preachers are making millions ever year all gathered up tax free and hidden from the eyes of the flock of whom

the took it from. The typical scenario of these guys is gather up the money and then live a life of luxury and spender for the rest of their lives away from the flock

that they fleeced.

Yup.

Scream it, sis!

Exactly, 10 years from now you wont hear a word from him, why ? because he'll be off in a secluded location somewhere where people can't see how

much money he took in spreading the word of god........I wonder what Jesus would think of doing such a grievous of a thing !

Amen. If only those who have a vested interest would reliquish that finite interest for something everlasting.

BA- Hallelujah!!!!

• abbagail
    abbagail

I always say if you're in the dumps and need a temporary lift, Joel can be a boost.

But an endless diet of Joel would be like eating too much honey. Nauseating.

I don't mind being able to watch him on the tube if I feel in the mood, but I would not want a steady dose of him as in being a constant/committed member of his mega church.

That mindless "mantra" he has his congregation repeat at the beginning of every single show would drive me insane... it's not even a prayer to the Lord, but a "feel good" childish mantra: "This is My Bible. I Can Have what it Says I Can have. I can Do what it says I can Do..." etc. etc. Puh-leeze. I would rather hear a sincere prayer anyday.

Also Joel has totally dropped the ball on prior TV interviews, Larry King and elsewhere. Check youtube or a google search. His interviews have been written up en masse. He has joined the likes of Billy Graham and other "antiChrist spirits" who have gone "ecumenical" and say Jesus is NOT NECESSARILY the only way to salvation. They don't have the backbone -- when being interviewed by media -- to take a stand for Biblical salvation through Jesus Christ alone.

That's why I say he's good for a temporary "psychological pep talk" if direly needed, but I wouldn't get too sucked in by his youthful charm, because you sure won't LEARN very much, only the "feel good" aspect is about all he's good for.

(Another term for too much psychology and too little Gospel is "Psycho-Heresy." Look it up. A lot of it going around.)

But since you're on a journey, check them ALL out on TV (depending on how many Christian channels you can get, there might be a wider variety than just the TBN types). Ask the Lord to lead you... If you are short on Christian channels, check out Sky Angel IPTV.

When I first starting watching Christian TV I checked them all out slowly, one at a time, over time.. it was a great help at the time, but over the years I have backed off from some, others I really like and make a point to watch, and others I'll check in on from time to time just to see what they are up to, what they are teaching these days, or who is on their show...

My fav is Charles Stanley for solid Biblical sermons... In Touch.org.

And for verse by verse "Through The Bible" study I loved Les Feldick, but I can't get him where I am now. LesFeldick.org.

I'f I'm down in the dumps, believe or it not, TD Jakes does it for me. He never fails to say something that hits home. (But I wouldn't want to be a full-time member of his mega-church either... or ANY mega church for that matter).

For Bible prophecy....
    Ed Hindson's "The King is Coming" is great Short outlines, half-hour show.
    Perry Stone's "MannaFest" I also like - mostly prophecy.
    Joe Van Koevering's "God's News Behind The News" is pretty good.
    David Reagan's "Christ In Prophecy" also pretty good.
    Jack Van Impe is OK "sometimes"... until he begins lauding the Pope and the RCC. Then I get nauseous!

Ditto for Hal Lindsey, he's OK most of the time, mostly for world news. Same for Christian World News - CBN.

Then there's the "Messianic Jewish" guys:
    Sid Roth - he's OK but way too obsessed with "signs and wonders" though he has interesting guests sometimes.
    Jonathan Bernis - he sometimes has interesting guests.
    Kirt Schneider - This guy tickles me, he talks so fast. I don't agree with everything he says as I have "moved on" from the heavy doses of "Hebrew Roots Movement" (which is NOT required as some will lead you to believe). But he's sincere.

I take them all "with a grain of salt" since I've learned a lot over the years. It's OK not to agree with everything. But you CAN learn from all of them a little here, a little there. Just learn how to weed out the chaff-comments.

Good Music and Great Testimonies are always a spiritual boost. That's one of the best thing, the frequent Testimonies.

I'm always on the lookout for good solid Biblical info or interesting testimonies to tape and share w/others. And fortunately, I've had the time and opportunity to watch a lot of these folks and get to "know" most of who's who on Christian TV.

Like I said, ask the Lord to lead you... He'll do it faster if you ask often! ;-) And enjoy the journey! Learning is FUN. But when you hit those snags of "I don't know WHAT to believe!" that's when it's time to PRAY AND ASK for HELP! Don't forget to do that and you'll come out in the right place! (place not meaning LOCATION, but you know what I mean).

PS: I meant to add: Thumbs Up to HappyDad and BrotherApostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit