Questions about A.H. Macmillan

by Junction-Guy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

J-G,

Could you supply a link to the article you are talking about?

Thanks

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Some say he was the behind-the-scenes figure who guided the organization for many decades.

Others say he was just full of his own importance.

You can buy his autobiography from me for $250 - cheap at the price.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I will try to post the link here shortly.

• ninja
    ninja

bill cetnar talked about him and his drinking in one of his mp3's....maybe joan cetnar could further enlighten you junction dude.......ninja

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Sorry, but I can't post the link, this article was from Wednesday's online edition, and by the time I went to re-read it, it had already been replaced by Friday's edition.

I don't think Fred Franz being from Covington Ky had anything to do with Macmillan visiting Paintsville, the 2 towns are 170 miles and light years apart.

Ninja, its no big deal, I was just wondering if there were any well known juicy tidbits about him.

• DocBob
    DocBob

The 8/26/1966 NY Times published the following death notice for Macmillan: "Alexander Hugh Macmillan, an administrative associate of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (Jehovah's Witnesses) died Friday in his home, 124 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn. His age was 89. Mr. Macmillan was the author of "Faith on the March," the story of Jehovah's Witnesses, published by Prentice Hall in 1957. He was born in Mabou, N. S. and became a minister of the society in 1901. He was an administrative associate of three presidents of the society, Nathan H. Knorr, the incumbent, and Charles Taze Russell and Jurge [sic] Joseph F. Rutherford."

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The Watchtower Society had traveling overseers (called pilgrims) who went all over the country visiting congregations. Macmillan also came on several occasions to Florida, including Tallahassee. The Proclaimers book has several references to him; look at the index. Page 222 notes: "Many of these traveling representatives of the Society were dearly loved by those wlhom they served. A.H. Macmillan, a Canadian, is remembered as a brother to whom God's Word proved to be 'like a burning fire.' (Jer. 20:9) He just had to talk about it, and he did, speaking to audiences not only in Canada but also in many parts of the united States and in other lands..."

• Farkel
    Farkel

Here's a tidbit about A.H. ("Mac") Macmillan. He was always a more popular speaker than Nathan Homo Knorr and Knorr hated that.

Despite Mac's decades and decades of faithful service to Russell, Rutherford, Knorr and the Watchtower Corporation, Knorr banished him to a room in Bethel where he hand-wrapped WT and Awakes for subscriptions. Mac was in his eighties then and almost totally deaf and doing grunt work because of Knorr's own inflated ego.

Knorr wrote the Forward to "Faith on the March" and even there showed his disdain for Mac. He stated that Mac's experience was really no different from any other experience of Jehovah's Witnesses. What? Mac was there from almost the beginning of the movement and even went to prison with Da Grudge.

Farkel

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I've read, and still have a copy of Faith on the March, somewhere.

I'm fairly certain that the book was vanity published, at least at first, with funding assistance from the WTS. Decades ago I got some literature from a self-publshing "vanity" press, and they used Faith on the March as sort of the poster child for self-publishing success. It may later have been picked up by Prentice Hall, which is not unusual for a successful vanity press release.

As has been mentioned, public speaking tours were a big thing in the early years of the WTS, and MacMillian was one of the favorites. I have a vague memory of having met him shortly before his death, but not positive about that.

S4

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I've read, and still have a copy of Faith on the March, somewhere.

I'm fairly certain that the book was vanity published, at least at first, with funding assistance from the WTS. Decades ago I got some literature from a self-publshing "vanity" press, and they used Faith on the March as sort of the poster child for self-publishing success. It may later have been picked up by Prentice Hall, which is not unusual for a successful vanity press release.

As has been mentioned, public speaking tours were a big thing in the early years of the WTS, and MacMillian was one of the favorites. I have a vague memory of having met him shortly before his death, but not positive about that.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit