let's hope Jehovah's Witnesses will see this movie and get them thinking

by kool aid man06 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

Everyone is so quick to point the finger at religions (Catholic or otherwise) for their role in not reporting such abuse, but the reality is the government should have had a law requiring proper reporting to begin with. For the past 2000 years, religious leaders have had a certain "code of silence" pertaining to every sort of confession or issue by its members. The governments knew this, and they should have made it illegal for them not to disclose anything relating to that sort of abuse. I highly condemn any action of concealment by Catholic, JW, or any organization - I am just saying I think everyone lets the governments off the hook a bit too much for their role in not requiring more oversight. Johnny

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    but the reality is the government should have had a law requiring proper reporting to begin with

Since when does MORALITY and CONSCIENCE need to be dictated by gov. laws? or religion for that matter?

These feelings should be innate. Unless, of course, you are born without conscience or "turned over to reprobate mind".

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Johnny, you have made a well placed point, there should never be no law that protects any religion from brakeing laws (holding back the truth) that could protect the people children or adults.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If they are allowed to see it at all (in their local congregations, some hounders might put the "stumbling" card in play), they will view it as strictly the Catholic church's problem. And they will gleefully say "We are nothing like the Catholic church, which is run by Satan".

At least the Catholic church finally came clean about the problem. All the while, the witlesses continue hiding it.

• DJK
    DJK

Is it too late to make signs and stand outside the theater? There are a lot more people than the Witnesses who need to be made aware.

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

cameo-d: To answer you question, morality and conscience issues obviously need to be governed by someone other than religious leaders who act in this manner - whether they are guilty of child abuse (molestation) or are the ones who help conceal these things. I am not sure what point you are making, since we would not have a problem if morality and conscience ruled in the religious world. I am saying that the government needs more oversight, and should have known this was a problem - after all, do you think it has only been in the last 30 years Priests and religious leaders have been doing this to Children??? This problem dates back over a thousand years or more. The environment of absolute silence and non-accountability to the state has created a cesspool for this sort of activity - as is coming out now. Johnny

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I guess the witnesses don't believe the 23 thousand cases of child abuse that are in their legal department. That is why I just love Barbara Anderson, she had the smarts to take down the details and she surely did a great job. As well as a great risk to herself. You are a courageous lady Barbara. It is impossible to dismiss trail transcripts. However JW's are trained to be afraid of their own shadow so I doubt they would even investigate to see whether or not we are telling them the truth. If we can just save a few people from the Organization then we have accomplished a mission. Orangefatcat

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

Is the 23,000 you mention verified somehow or is that an estimate..? Just curious.

• JeffT
    JeffT

We saw the play a couple of years ago. VERY powerful. Unfortunately the people that most need to get something out of it are the ones least likely to even go see it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit