did the "the end will likely happen" in 1975 teaching start in 1966???

by oompa 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa
    Is the book mentioned below where it all started?....released in 1966 at DC......I don't think there was any mention of 1975 before this because no 6000 years timeline ending in 1975 had come out before to my knowledge......anybody??............oompa *** w66 10/15 pp. 628-629 Rejoicing over “God’s Sons of Liberty” Spiritual Feast ***

THRILLING DISCOURSES
    To give aid today in this critical time to prospective sons of God,” announced President Knorr, “a new book in English, entitled ‘Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God,’ has been published.” At all assembly points where it was released, the book was received enthusiastically. Crowds gathered around stands and soon supplies of the book were depleted. Immediately its contents were examined. It did not take the brothers very long to find the chart beginning on page 31, showing that 6,000 years of man’s existence end in 1975.Discussion of 1975 overshadowed about everything else. “The new book compels us to realize that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed,” said a conventioner. Surely it was one of the outstanding blessings to be carried home!
  • snowbird
    snowbird

I believe it did.

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

If I recall correctly, the date 1975 was first calculated some time in the 1940's, but not given much attenon. I seem to recall some posts on here citing old WT articles that mention it almost in passing, just sort of a curiosity.

But the 1966 book was definitely the first time the date of 1975 was implied to be the time limit for Armageddon.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Sir82 is correct, except that the date "indicated" in the 1943 book "The Truth Shall Make You Free" pointed at 1972, not 1975.

("The Truth Shall Make You Free," chapter XI "The Count of Time" page 152:)

" ... From Adam's creation to the end of B .C. 1 was 4,028 years
    From beginning of A .D. 1 to the end of 1943 is 1,943 years
    From Adam's creation to the end of 1943 A.D. is 5,971 years

We are therefore near the end of six thousand years of human history, with conditions upon us and tremendous events at hand foreshadowed by those of Noah's day .-Luke 17 : 26-30."

If 1943 was 5,971 years from Adam's creation, then 29 years later - 1972 - would be the 6,000th year since Adam's creation.

The "Bible based™" chronology of Fred Franz was "adjusted" as he slipped deeper into insanity.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Ever since I started going to meetings in 1956 I remember them talking about the 6,000 years and we often saw the date of 4026 BCE as the date of Adam's creation. About 1958, doing the math, I asked the CO if this wouldn't mean that the end was coming in 1975. He replied, "No, because we don't know how long Adam was in the garden before Eve was created. In 1963 I saw this same reasoning in the "Scripture Inspired" book. I couldn't believe it when, in 1966, they stated that the 1,000 year reign would begin in 1975! I never did give much credence to1975 but was hooked on the "this generation will not pass away" reasoning, so I kept going--for 20+ more years.

• oompa
    oompa
    bonnie-C: I never did give much credence to1975 but was hooked on the "this generation will not pass away" reasoning, so I kept going--for 20+ more years.

damm bonnie, me too....but i stayed in for nearly 30 more years....why the crap did i not walk away in 1995 when they tossed the gen. of 1914 right out the window?....i wanted to, but wife, entire family and little kids distracted me enough to just live a lie for another ten years....I may start another thread about this, buy why was this major change not a dealbreaker for the masses?.....why no big walk away in 1995? i think a lot left after 1975............oompa

• White Dove
    White Dove

Hahaha! It must have started with my parents' marriage in that year. That's where the end in near began

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

That would be a good thread oompa, I wonder why the 1995 change, the recent change to now look at only the anointed being alive, and then the change to the calling of the anointed have also not caused major changes/defections.....I would guess it is because they all are chanting......must follow governing body........

• blondie
    blondie

"Aid" book claimed Adam and Eve were created in the same year:
    Adam at age 130 had a son, Seth --Aid to Bible Understanding, p.333Eve at age 130 had a son, Seth -- Aid to Bible Understanding, p.538

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I seem to recall that the 1963 "All Scriptures Inspired" book did throw in a caution about reading too much into 1975 being the 6000th anniversary of Adam's creation.
    (Sorry I cannot quote the exact words, or cite the correct page reference
    - all my WTS stuff went long ago, courtesy of a box of matches and several litres of kerosine!)

The 1966 book, though, is the one that kicked off the 1975 fever/craziness or whatever.

Jack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit