A Divorce Win

by truthsetsonefree 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

As some of you may remember I have been embroiled in a divorce for the past year and a half. I had helped my wife to see the reality of the JWs. But she ran back to it and that complicated things. Then SHE filed a groundless divorce, groundless by New york State and WT rules. The info received from some of you was instrumental in setting me in the right direction on how to argue the case. Today, while the paperwork needs to be finalized by the judge I have a legally binding settlement. I have joint custody of my daughter with minimal child support considering what most men have to deal with. Additionally the settlement is big to an ex-JW for two reasons.

One, we successfully inserted iron clad language that gives me sole jurisdiction on blood related matters. All other medical matters are jointly decided. This is backed by the findings of a court appointed forensic psychologist.

Second I was able to get language stipulating that my daughter is NOT to be inducted as a "publisher" or "baptized" without the consent of BOTH parents while still a minor. I believe its VERY important for non-JWs in custody battles to secure wording that prohibits "publishing" by the minor children. This is important because it is publishers that are counted as JWs. Baptism is but a clever formality in this religion. Further a minor publisher can still be ostracized if they become involved in "wrongdoing".

Anyway my journey continues.

Isaac Carmignani

• carla
    carla

I'm sorry for the breakup but very happy you have been able to protect your child! Well done.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I'm not familiar with your story. But what I read above calls for a round of applause. Good job keeping your daughter safe, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

momz

Edited to add: Your last name rings a bell. Do you have family in Utah?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Isaac, that is great news. I know how difficult this has been for you. Congratulations on a job well done.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Congrats on the win!

I hope your expereince in this can help other ex-jws involved in custody battles.

W

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am impressed with your handling of this-and that your now ex-wife agreed to it without(I hope) dragging your child through too much grime. You should be giving your lawyers lots of free advertising on all the consumer list groups! Or on a web site for JWs dealing with such stuff. They did a great job for you. There are plenty here who could only hope for such good legal representation. And a good psychologist. I would be interested to hear what kind of arguments or statements the doctor used to convince the judge.

Good for you, good for your daughter, and really, this is good for your ex-wife. She is going to be spared a lot of grief because your daughter will be making an informed choice when she is older, and if she never joins, then your ex never has to reject her entirely from her life-which I know can be shattering to the JW as much as to the ex JW.

I'm sorry that your marriage ended - that is always a tragedy. But sometimes it is a lesser tragedy than the alternative.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Good on you for protecting your daughter in this manner, I guess I would have not thought to articulate these stipulations. I hope it helps others.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Congratulations!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Nice job on keeping her away from the pool at least until she's 18. Hopefully by then she'll have at least started to notice that things don't quite smell right in Jerhover's org.

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

I may need this in the future, thank you for posting!

Congratualtions for being a responsible parent and fighting these Nazis!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit