Are JWS really cheap or poor?

by heyfea 19 Replies latest jw friends

• heyfea
    heyfea

One thing I've noticed in all the congs. that I went to. Let's say that a couple in the cong. gets married and they choose to have a party at a caters. They spend around $60 or more per head. (When I got married I spent $40, twenty-one years ago) Anyways, then, here comes the dub guests and they bring an envelope with $30 as a gift. Are they kidding? Don't they know that things cost money? I always believed that all should help the couple get back their money plus extra. It's like a fund raiser dinner. At least that's the way is done outside. My italian family, not dubs., were the only ones who gave my husband and I $300 or more per envelope, (for two guests).

• megaflower
    megaflower

Both. If someone in the hall does have some money they like to suck up to them. They are all a bunch of selfish takers. They like to come across as god fearing, putting the kingdom first, what a laugh. In reality, they wish they had more just like the next guy. We experienced it first hand. They were your best friend if they thought they would be getting something out of it.

• still_in74
    still_in74

exceedingly cheap. they dont know how to give.
    Most JW's dont like to see other people get "help" or benefit from things which they themselves dont.
    This, i believe, stems not only from the twisted teachings of the society but also the fact that JW's are usually uneducated with low paying jobs. they will never be more than that because they arent smart enough, have the credentials or if they could they would be viewed as spiritually weak.

thus if I am stuck without, you should be without too. I honestly and truly believe JW's think this way. If you tell them they are cheap, they will tell you you are materialistic.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

There's a few brothers in congs near me who are doing pretty well for themselves. A couple of them own their own businesses and employ others to do most of the hard graft. They are the worst kind of cheap coz they actually have a few bob but are too tight to spend it. Now where's that scripture that shows that you can't bring your riches with you? So 2 faced!

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Both.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Both, but if it comes down to spending $20 on a gift or giving to the "worldwide work" ... guess who gets it?

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

The ones I knew were cheap. For people who don't celebrate any gift-giving holidays I would have thought that they would put some thought into the gifts they did give. When I got married I had a list of things I wanted. What stands out the most is that I got 4 wall clocks (no wall clocks on the list). A group of my " friends" all got married within a couple of years of each other. For each one of them I thought about what they liked and went to the store to purchase gifts that showed my interest in them. I was single, and very poor, and supported myself financially, but gave creative gifts. These "sisters" all lived at home and had many comforts I did not have. What did they give me? Left over gifts they had received at their wedding showers. One family that I had spent a lot of time with and did favors for when they were in a jam gave me a toaster (not a toaster over, just a simple silver, two slot toaster). Another family who said they thought of me as a daughter gave me a binder to put my recipes in - not a book of recipes, just a binder with maybe 2-3 hand-written recipes to "get me started." The sister who had conducted my "Bible study" gave me wine glasses - don't know if they were left-over gifts of hers but do know that I did not drink alcohol and if she would have taken my history into consideration she would have known better to give me such a gift. What surprized me was that it was the couples that I didn't know, but my fiance insisted we invite because of the positions they held in the congregation were the ones who actually gave us the best gifts or actual cash.

• heyfea
    heyfea

You are right, they are both. On one hand you have the few who have the means to be generous but are not because they NEVER had the good example from the WTS. And on the other, you have the ones with limited means who cannot give as much even if they wished to. Sad, sad, sad.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I think for the most part they are cheap. But if the person marrying is someones daughter and the father is a prominent person such as a D.O. or a CO. I see them getting lots of money and even some affluent in the cong. but those are few and far between.

My first wedding in 1973 Feb. I had 500 guests I paid out of my own pocket about 100.00$ and that was for the wedding cake everthing else was provided by the brothers and sister in the congr. even the alcohol. Yes this is the one and only cong. I enjoyed as a JW. We had a really good spirit in that hall and in fact I lived in that KH up stairs and we had many foreigners in our cong. and they are so generous, there was so much food left over. It was grand. We recieved alot of money from these witnesses because they really loved us as we loved them and they are the ones I will never forget. That is the part you miss when you D"F. and you can't do a damn thing about it .

My second marriage we had 40 guests and paid around $650.00 for the wedding and food and it was great. The temperature was the only bad thing it was 104 degrees outside in the shade, thank goodness my girlfriend had lots of trees in her yard where we were married. We recieved beautiful gifts and money and there were no witnesses at it., Even some of the neighbours came over and joined in the merriement of the occasion.

Orangefatcat

• mouthy
    mouthy

I can only speak for myself. I was POOR!!! My husband was a Janitor with very little pay,I had to go out with my kid, cleaning houses ,( I had 4 kids I just took the baby) for$ 3.00 an hour, Then when I went to the Hall they might mention this poor brother /sister in some far away country a missionary who hadnt been home in 4 years
    "PLEASE PUT SOME MONEY IN THE COLLECTION BOX AT THE REAR OF THE HALL"

As you all know I had SUCKER written across my forehead & managed to stick in a fiver,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit