What is South Africa like?

by sammielee24 23 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

We were talking about places we would like to visit one day and I mentioned Cape Town. Sometimes, all the news we get or the pictures we see of another country, are slanted toward what is bad and we don't get to see what a country is really about. I was wondering how many on here are from or have been to Cape Town and what it's really like? sammieswife.

• virgo
    virgo

Hi Sammieswife. Cape town is a very beautiful city and well worth a visit. The weather is particularly good from about December till the end of March when it starts getting colder. So much to see. You can visit Robin Island off Cape Town (where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned) or you could visit the winelands on a tour. Go to the top of Table Mountain and enjoy the magnificent view of the city below. The Waterfront development is also well worth a visit. The last time I was there was about a year ago for a week (an anniversary gift from my wife). I was impressed with how tourist friendly the city has become (lots of bus tours) and how easy going the people are. LouBelle could probably tell you far more about the city than I can. South Africa is such a varied country and each city/area has its own unique charm. But just a warning, South Africa does have alarmingly high levels of crime and it is best to exercise caution when sightseeing. Come to South Africa. A warm welcome awaits you.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I spent a month in Cape Town. It's very pretty, but you'll notice some not-so-pretty scenes (homeless camps). The shops and restaraunts are very nice. Take a trip up on Table Mountain and look for the big furry creatures that wander about - they kinda look like big guinea pigs (they're friendly). Crime isn't so bad as Johannesburg, but I don't know how much it has changed. The winter weather is mostly rainy and cold, so be prepared.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

South Africa is my home & 1 of the most beautiful places on earth. Diverse, rich & colourful cultures await you, from african, indian, coloured to afrikaaner. Cape Town is gorgeous & totally geared for tourism & is considered SA's no.1 destination. I am on the east coast, Durban is my city. Will post more tomorrow from the pee cee, can only get so much in on the mobile :)

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Thanks for the replies.

Sam's grandfather was born in SA - Cape Town and I believe there are any number of relatives that remained there unknown to us. I came across some old photos of the Boer Memorial and Fish Hoek? and a few other places from early 1900's.. but the most interesting thing I found when I started researching, was the meaning of the name Disa, a name handed down in his family. A sure link to SA.

I think SA looks beautiful but since we mostly hear about crime and violence, political unrest, I wanted to hear from people who have been there - after all that's the best way to learn about the pulse of a country. Your answers aren't disappointing me. sammieswife.

• sacolton
    sacolton

LouBelle, what are those furry creatures on top of Table Mountain?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Right: Crime & violence - yes I'm afraid to say that we do have our great share of this. You've got to keep your eyes open & if a place looks dodge it probably is and don't go there. Don't flaunt your jewellry and that kind of thing, be aware of your surroundings and don't do anything stupid.

I love my country & have a deep passion for it. I was in cape town about 2 and half months ago and it's the third/fourth time I've been, but don't just check out the city, you've got to explore the cape - there are so many little towns sprawling out from the CBD - one place that won't disappoint is Stellenbosch - a quaint studen town (stellenbosch university is there) fabulous wine estates and a really safe lil place where you can walk around at night and not get bothered.

Then there is Riebeek Kasteel about 1:30min drive from Stellies - here the shop owners actually leave their wares on the street outside their shops and don't lock it awa - I was shocked !!! Never. And it's beautiful with some fantastic restaurants offering the most devine foods & deserts & if you do visit there you have to go to Allesverlooren Wine esates and order a bottle of there 1998 port - you will not be disappointed.

Then you get all the "game" land that contains huge reserves with the big 5: leopard, lion, rhino, elephant and buffalo - all awesome animals to see in the wild - I'm still waiting to see the cats. I was fortunate enough on my last outing to see a whole herd of elephant down by the watering hole with their calves - man you should hear those animals trumpet to one another.

Then you get towns that you feel you are waaay back in the day, places where you ride on horseback, there is partial electricity, you go see 1000s' of years old cave art, fossils. There is also the Craddle of humankind - super interesting.

And that is all before you've reached the beautiful east coast!!! Durban is South Africas' playground. We're all about the sun, sea and good times, and have a very rich fusion of culture.

sacolton - those furry little animals are known as Dassies (pronounced dussie) and is a guinea pig like animal, with rat like faces & ears.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I had a photo of me petting a dussie while on top of Table Mountain. I'll see if I can find it.

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

Google "rock hyrax" and see if that's it.

Believe it or not they are related to elephants.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Yup! That's it! Cute little buggers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit