I am en elder and I am ready to VOTE!

by outofthebox 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Jeff - When that QFR came out I specifically asked a CO if it represented a change in WTS policy. Non-neutral activity (NNA) is one of the "deadly sins" that can get you DF'ed and voting has always been considered a NNA. He said that in the US and Western Countries in general, the answer was no. He told me that only in countries where it was mandatory to vote or you could be subject to mob violence would this apply. At the time, I thought,it was inconsistent. We're told that you can't take a blood transfusion which may be mandatory from a medical point of view, preach where preaching is banned, brothers in Malawi died over a political card, etc but you can compromise on this? I filed it away but during my awakening, I thought about how the WTS must have needed to put this out to satisfy some government to make life a little easier for them. Nothing is ever done to help the R&F.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I thought about how the WTS must have needed to put this out to satisfy some government to make life a little easier for them. Nothing is ever done to help the R&F.

Exactly. It was a political statement, made out of necessity. Nothing more. And we all knew it.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I also proudly voted for the vry first time during this general election. The ground didn't open swallow me up. Lightning didn't come down and strike me dead.No big boogeyman debbil came out and patted me on the back for practicing allegieance to his kingdom instead of God's. It was a personal decision of nobody else's business.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Exactly. It was a political statement, made out of necessity. Nothing more. And we all knew it.

Agreed. But nonetheless a loophole that could be used successfully IMO. All one would have to say is that he/she had great pressure at work, home, or similar when asked [in the very rare chance of that happening].

Realistically - how would anyone really ever know in this country? Unless you volunteer to be interviewed at the polls, or a Jw lived across the street from the polling place and watched everyone go in and out, it would be unlikely.

Jeff

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Well I am NOT an elder ...But I did VOTE !!! Last day for early voting .....drove to the county seat, and the clerks were very helpful for my first time voting experience . I decided to do it this way in case I had questions I didn't want to hold up any long lines on Nov. 4th. It was very easy and quick ,and I am very happy to be apart of the process .

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

The voting issue was one of the things that sent me over the edge to fading! I couldn't believe and was very confused by the 'you can never vote and must remain neutral' yet there is a Question from Readers article that states it is a matter of conscience. Which is it? I am allowed or I'm forbidden. It really upset me. I am voting in my first presidential election this year and I"m proudly voting for "That One!!' .

Confession-I, too, know those elders from the Journal article. I went to the hall with them for years. Ragan is a pompous A** who is just as jerky as the article makes him out to be. Bryant is a good guy.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I already cast my ballot in early voting. The first time I've voted in years. Felt good!

More power to ya OOTB!

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I filled out my registration form a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet.

Not sure who I will vote for or if I will even cast a vote.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Good for you! :)

• flipper
    flipper

OUT of the BOX- Good for you ! So which candidate are you voting for ? If you feel comfortable telling us. Otherwise I started a thread for people to say on there if you'd like. Nice to see a pro-active elder for once ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit