DF'd 4 smoking........feel unworthy;yet....

by IWish4Truth 20 Replies latest jw friends

• IWish4Truth
    IWish4Truth

Hi. I was DF'd 6 months ago for smoking cigarettes. I really reached out for help but had a hard time breaking the habit. Maybe I should have been disfellowshipped, according to why it is done. But the thing is; The only folks I ever knew are JW's. Im 32 and grew up that way. Now, Im pretty much isolated and alone all the time except when at work. I know that God cares for me and Loves me. It's unbelievable how other imperfect humans stop caring for you and loving you in an instant. I did not know that Love could be turned on and off that way.My mom is a witness and only talks to me when she needs/wants money or favors. Im not here to bash the WTS or other JW's. But what I will say is that one thing that I have learned from all this is that when it all boils down to it, all I can really put my full trust in is God Himself. Not the WTBTS, not the kingdom Hall or Mom. It's just between me and He!! True??

• TR
    TR

I agree, Iwish.

The first contact I had with a JW elder after being gone for 3 years was when the elder asked if I was smoking. His primary concern was to nail me for something instead of being concerned for my spirituality.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Englishman
    Englishman

Df'ing is unscriptural, full stop.

However, many of my pals in their 40's and 50's are falling like flies to smoking related diseases, which includes horrible brown teeth which are falling out as well.

I would be a lot more concerned about your smoking habit than DF'ing, contrary to what you have been taught, the DF'ing wont kill you but the smoking will.

It will.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

What are you whining for? What love did you show your family and friends? You were willing to sacrifice all of them for a damn smoke.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Yo Yo Momma,

Bollocks. Typical bird-brained dub reasoning. The dubs did the sacrificing. You ought to get out of there Kiddo, whilst the going is good.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Maybe I should have been disfellowshipped, according to why it is done.

Without arguing for or against smoking, just find anyone who can show you ANYWHERE in the Bible where smoking is a disfellowshiping offense. As a disfellowshiping offense in dubland, smoking is put on a par with murder, torture, child-rape and greed.

The Bible DOES say not to even eat with a person who practices greed. It can be strongly argued that morbid obesity is greed for food. How many morbidly obese JWs have you ever seen disfellowshiped. The WTS is full of shit. You may not like me saying that, but if you do your research, you'll find out it is true.

YoYoMama,

It's people like you who show the WTS religion for what it really is.
    You are a self-righteous idiot.

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• DB
    DB

One time, when I was an elder, we df'd a woman for smoking. The thing was, she had never even been at our Hall; she simply moved into the territory. Somehow, one elder got info that she was smoking, and the next thing I knew, we were forming a judicial committee to hear the case. I was picked for the committee. To me, the whole thing was absurd; but I did not speak up (which I now regret!). When we announced the df'ing, people in the congregation asked privately: "who?", yes, no one even knew the woman. She was not actively associated with the congregation. At the very least, the matter should have been put on the back burner until she became active again. It was simply a case of hunting a person down and then df'ing her simply to satisfy some weird 'justice'.

• TR
    TR

Yes, smoking is not good, but to disown somebody for it?

YoYo, I'm getting damn tired of handing out the "head up the ass" award. Please don't make me do it again.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Joseph Joachim
    Joseph Joachim

It's unbelievable how other imperfect humans stop caring for you and loving you in an instant.

I think you're wrong. Those who really care about you have not stopped loving you, they just can't associate with you because they have been coerced to think that shunning is the right thing to do. Then there are the others, of course, who never gave a shit about you but just had to pretend while you were in "the Truth".

My personal experience is that, even though I was also raised in "the Truth", when I started attending college I got to know many people who cared about me regardless of my religion or anything, and that made me feel that true friendship is easier to find outside Watchtowerdom. That feeling eventually led me out of "the Truth", but that's another tale for another day.

Now I'm really curious about one thing: why the heck did you take up smoking? In my teenage years I had to struggle against sexual urges but the idea of smoking never crossed my mind. I took up smoking just 3 months ago here in Switzerland, where everybody smokes nice cigars and stuff (not that I will smoke cheap cigarettes, either).

• borgfree
    borgfree

Iwish4truth,

I am very glad you are free of the unscriptural control of the WT. Use your freedom to really research the WT, you will then be free forever.

YoYoMama,

One of my favorite quotes. I will use the NWT but my preference is the Amplified Bible:

John 16:2,3 (2) Men will expel you from the synagogue. In fact, the hour is coming when everyone that kills you will IMAGINE he has rendered a sacred service to God. (3) But they will do these things because they have not come to know EITHER the Father or Me.

[Emphesis mine - capitolized (me) to honor our Saviour]

Borgfree

"You can fool some of the people all of the time" especially if you are a member of the WT GB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit