Was there ever a GOOD time to be a JW?

by gaiagirl 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

When I was a foetus. At least JW's don't have abortions. The risks outweighed the benefits once I was born. Tongue Out 5

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    JW was relatively MORE enlightened or had MORE freedoms than members of other religions

I cannot speak for the really old days... I think not though..

But hey! it was pretty good in the early seventies... I was lucky to be in a large city centre congo that was happy and swinging and led by the kind of elders that made it fun to go along. We really believed that we were so close to the end that little else mattered. Life was exciting ..

But, we all know what happened after that

• OBVES
    OBVES

If you knew my prediction for 2011 AD you would have a good reason to shout for being one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

If you are in any other organized church you should be shaking now out of fear of what may happen in 2011 AD.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    If you knew my prediction for 2011 AD you would have a good reason to shout for being one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

If the nations had known what was predicted for 1914, they would have also had similar reason to rejoice. And then more rejoicing for what was predicted in 1918. More jubilation was in store for what was predicted in 1925. And as for 1975? Those in the know were elated for what Jehovah had in store! Yes, with all of these exciting predictions being put forth, it is no wonder that Jehovah's people are the happiest people on earth!

• still-fading
    still-fading

Ya, good food at get togethers!

• willyloman
    willyloman

The answer to your question will depend on the individual. I look back on my "career" of nearly 30 years as a dub with a mixture of fondness and regret. There were some good times for me personally during the years from the late 70s to the mid 80s. I used to think those were the "golden years."

We had lots of "friends" and a great social life. We were convinced we had a very special relationship with the God of the Entire Universe. We were on the fast track to glory and spiritual riches in a fabulous New Earth where all man's problems would be solved forever. We were seldom troubled by doubts thanks in part to the tremendous growth and expansion of the dub, with new congretations being formed all around us and new publisher peaks reported throughout the world. Our home was "party central" in the congo and we were among the "pillars" who were accorded respect in the organization. Several Sundays a year, I traveled to congos all over our far-flung circuit to speak and we met a lot of interesting (and unusual) people. There were circuit and district program parts and administrative roles that provided entry into the upstairs luxury boxes and VIP suites, where I also met a lot of interesting (and unsual) people.

So, yeah, that was a good time to be a JW. For me.

But it didn't last, because it was all built on a shaky foundation and a false premise.

• megawatt
    megawatt

When I met my wife and when I left the kingdom hall for the last time.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit