Just Hours After Debate McCain Broke His Promise

by Gary1914 9 Replies latest social current

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

During the debate last night, Obama and McCain both promised to stop the negative advertisements and to concentrate on the issues.

No sooner had the words came out of McCain's mouth when McCain and Palin began sponsoring automated phone calls in key states informing voters of Obama's connection with Bill Ayers, a terrorist. It is the nastiest sort of phone call meant to sway voters done in a underhanded way, supposedly secretive manner. Really disgusting.

Pundits have said that if McCain loses he can at least leave the race with his dignity. Well, that ship has now sailed.

McCain has proven himself to be a dirty, nasty little weasel who has run the most dispicable campaign I have ever witnessed.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    connection with Bill Ayers, a terrorist. patriot.
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Do you have any documentation of this new telephone campaign by the McCain people? Is there a news link?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    October 16, 2008, 7:44 pm

McCain Blankets States With Automated Calls

Laura Meckler reports from New York City on the presidential race:

John McCain’s presidential campaign is blanketing battleground states with automated phone calls that accuse Democrat Barack Obama of working closely with a domestic terrorist, of holding extreme views on abortion and of “putting Hollywood above America.”

Automated calls have been an under-the-radar communication tool in recent elections, as they are hard to track and cheap to make. Hundreds of thousands of calls can be delivered before the opposition or the media is aware of them.

But today, a barrage of McCain-funded calls came into the open. Democrats have tracked them in 10 competitive states: Colorado, Nevada, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Virginia, Florida, Missouri, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Maine, where Republicans hope to snag a single electoral vote given to the winner of the northern congressional district.

The calls are tough on Obama. The one that has been tracked in the most places picks up on McCain’s message from the stump and in TV ads to tie him to William Ayers, a 1960s era radical who is now a college professor. He has a loose association with Obama: the two sat on a board together and Ayers hosted a political event for Obama years ago, but Obama has said the two are not close. The McCain campaign has said that the issue is not the relationship between the two but Obama’s candor about it. But the automated phone call raises the relationship itself:

“Hello. I’m calling for John McCain and the RNC because you need to know that Barack Obama has worked closely with domestic terrorist Bill Ayers, whose organization bombed the U.S. capitol, the Pentagon, a judge’s home and killed Americans,” the recorded message said. “And Democrats will enact an extreme leftist agenda if they take control of Washington. Barack Obama and his Democratic allies lack the judgment to lead our country.”

The call ends with the legally required disclosure, informing the listener that the call was paid for by McCain-Palin 2008 and the Republican National Committee. (Listen)

Asked about the calls, McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said: “They are 100% factual, and the mission of this campaign is to ensure that voters are informed on Election Day and the presidential vetting process is complete.”

Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor responded, “John McCain’s campaign has admitted that the economy is a losing issue for them, so he’s chosen to launch dishonorable and dishonest attacks like this.”

A second script, picked up in Virginia and North Carolina, warns, “Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats aren’t who you think they are.” It goes on to say that Democrats do not understand the terrorist threat. (Listen)

Another recorded message, which Democrats say was made to North Carolina homes, talks about an anti-abortion measure that Obama opposed in the Illinios legislature. (Listen) A fourth message accuses Obama of spending more time at a Hollywood fundraiser than working on the financial crisis. (Listen)

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/10/16/mccain-blankets-states-with-automated-calls/
  • Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

McCain has proven himself to be a dirty, nasty little weasel who has run the most dispicable campaign I have ever witnessed.

What's new, I have been saying this right along. He has a temper and he is a ASS. Why would anybody

want him for President? McCain is for Bush. I though the people was sick of Bush.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Do you have any documentation of this new telephone campaign by the McCain people? Is there a news link?

They played the actual phone call on (I think) CNN - it was pretty disgusting. Also phoning people at 3 a.m. and other odd hours. Yep - we should all believe McCain...sammieswife.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

You know I had a discussion with a McCain supporter today about "playing dirty", she said that because Obama had negative ads running he was playing dirty. I asked her if any of those ads implied that McCain was a terrorist? or if it implied that he was someone to be afraid of? or if it implied in any way that McCain was some type of radical that would bring harm to the US as soon as possible once he was in office? Did she hear at any Obama rallies supporters yelling "kill him", "off with his head" , etc... OR Were the ads about McCain's view on taxes, the economy, healthcare and energy?

She walked away without answering any of my quesions. I guess I have my answer.

Obama is a better man than I am woman because I know I wouldn't be able to keep my cool, I'd have slapped McCain upside the head by now. They want him to be the "angry black man" and it's killing them that he just isn't, plain and simple.

nj

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Thats just another way of saying republican.

The pitty is there are a lot of stupid people that believe him.

And if they can get away from their 6 packs they are going to go to the polls in November.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Part of Obama's steadiness is born of necessity: An angry, or flashy, black man isn't going to be elected President.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1846401,00.html

But Obama doesn't do spontaneous combustion. And he's keenly aware of the deeper danger of fire for America's first black presidential nominee. Over the past 19 months, he's been attacked as a naive novice, an empty suit, a tax-and-spend liberal, an arugula-grazing élitist and a corrupt ward heeler, but the attacks that nearly derailed him involved the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, attacks designed to portray Obama as an angry black man. White America has embraced unthreatening African Americans like Tiger Woods, Oprah Winfrey, Will Smith and Colin Powell, but this is still a majority-white country, and Obama does not want to be stereotyped as a race man like Malcolm X. In a media climate in which "working class" and "small town" and "ordinary" voters still mean white voters, angry white candidates can be "populists," but angry black candidates get tagged as "militants." Obama has no interest in trying to find out whether America is ready for an angry black man. He's more likely to try to send negative messages with humor, as he does in a new ad that mocks McCain's unfamiliarity with e-mail while featuring a Rubik's Cube, a prehistoric cell phone and other relics of 1982, the year of McCain's arrival in Congress. Campaign treasurer Martin Nesbitt says Obama is keenly aware of the pressure to "strike back and be meaner; fight fire with fire," but the candidate is not swayed by it. "He lets all the noise go on," Nesbitt says. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1842280-2,00.html

He's not stupid

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for posting the news item. I hadn't heard that.

I don't think this kind of sh*tty campaigning will convert very many undecided voters. It's sad really, the depths that McCain has let his campaign get to. I thought he was a better man than this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit