Apple Day is here again

by Junction-Guy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

In five hours I head out for Kentucky. This is the Kentucky Apple Festival weekend, otherwise known as "Apple Day". This is always the highlight of my year and something I never want to miss, though occasionally I have.

There will be lots of good food, bluegrass, gospel, and country music. There will be alot of mountain crafts, along with the flea market and parade.

So far the weather looks promising, and not too hot either. Last year was a scorcher at 92 degrees.

I will no doubt connect with some old friends, and maybe make some new friends.

I am also curious to see how political this years Apple Festival is. I usually go and hang out with the republican headquarters. The biggest political year I believe was in 2002 when they had the wet/dry election, the dry's won, of course.

I can't wait to eat some of those delicious fried pies, and maybe a tiger ear too !

I will let you all know how it went, when I get back.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I hope you have a good time. Community festivals are always a lot of fun!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thank you, I always enjoy this festival. Apple Day will aways be a special time for me.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well I got home early this morning after taking a detour through West Virginia to see the New River Gorge bridge.

Apple Day was great this year, the weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky. 80 degrees and sunny. The crowd was large and the there seemed to be more booths this year. The parade wasn't quite as long as in years past.

I got to shake hands with US Senator Mitch McConnell who was riding in a convertible in the parade. Rebecca Lynn Howard sang at the festival. Funny story, Rebecca Lynn Howard called my uncle's house to talk to him, and my grandma answered the phone, had I answered the phone I could have spoken with her too.

Well I found the Republican headquarters there and went in spoke with them for the longest time, They were so friendly and we just chatted it up like we had been best friends forever. I picked up several McCain/Palin stickers and a button. I had campaign stickers all over my shirt, and everyone kept approaching me wanting to know where to get the stickers. I only saw one Obama sticker in the whole festival, and ironicall she was sitting right in front of headquarters staring at us. Everyone I talked to down there absolutely loves Sarah Palin, there was even a democrat woman who asked me for some stickers.

Sunday morning came and I attended services at Rockhouse Church and then sunday night I went to the Church of Christ with cousin Rosemary.

I got up and testified at Rocckhouse thanking the Lord for the many blessings that I have, one of which is my family.

Lets see, well I ate twice at my favorite chinese restaurant there and half the people in the restaurant I already knew, so it was a good chance to see people I hadn't seen in awhile.

Monday morning I left and headed over to WV, that was the longest ride I can remember, all 2 lane highways, all mountains, and many small towns to pass through. I ended up in the New River Gorge and saw 3 different bridges and a historic train depot.

I got home early this morning, and now I am getting ready to go back to work after a 5 day weekend.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Shoulda go to Talladega instead. Lots of debauchery and more important, no gospel music. 'Cept for the national anthem and thats just once.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The Gospel music was plentiful at the festival, along with Bluegrass and Country. I forgot to mention that the Martha White Bluegrass bus was there, and I got to walk through it. They had pictures on the wall of that bus of many old time Opry stars.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Bluegrass fucking rocks man. Country I can take or leave. Im proud of the new and un-baitable Junction Guy. Good job man.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

This thread has made me hungry for apple butter, I haven't had any apple butter in years. I need to get me some apple butter.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You like Bluegrass IP-SEC? Who woulda thunk it?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Sacrificial--one of the local Freewill Baptist churches has the apple butter booth, and every year they make it in the streets in big black pots, I didn't purchase any this year, but I did buy a fried apple pie, and it was delicious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit