Is college worth it?

by NewYork44M 36 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It was for me. My life has been transformed by higher education. However, I am aware that college is not for everyone.

Here are some interesting thoughts:

http://www.theatlasphere.com/columns/080926-williams-higher-education.php

I teach part time at two colleges. I see students that are positively affected by education. I can also show you examples of students who essentially wasted their time and energy.

Those who pursued higher education, have your life changed because of the education? Or, are you now saddled with college debt and have not been able to find a job?

• yknot
    yknot

Any formal education (certificate or degree) after high school is beneficial! (Heck even if you learned it ain't your cup of tea, it will always look good on a job resume)

I don't know about everyone else but I paid back my SallieMae in half the time and it made my credit rating GOLD!

Right now I am upgrading my degree.

Why upgrade.... well because I get 10 more per hour and I will be able to teach at college level as well. (I will also be able to replace my husband's income as his industry is dwindling fast to illegals and economy)

Fafsa is easy to fill out these days too..... www.fafsa.ed.gov/

With most colleges (university, community, & Jr) all offering online course there is little reason not to take a class or two.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The value of a good education goes beyond career goals. What you learn is "how to learn" and how to think critically.

• Quandry
    Quandry

College is valuable.

The operative word is LEARN-about the world around us, history, art, literature....the list goes on. We live here-shouldn't we know where we came from, about the people around us now, and those who came before?

Many of the problems in the world today stem from ignorance. Education can help get people out of poverty, learn about different cultures, etc.

I am taking college courses even though I am over fifty. It is a joy to LEARN!!!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I think it is definitely a must, especially if you have a career plan. As for the critical thinking, you can develop that on your own.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    As for the critical thinking, you can develop that on your own.

Maybe. For most people that I've seen, non-degreed people tend to come across as agressive/confrontational. Those with advanced degrees tend to be much more methodical in their approach and presentation.

Just personal observation of mine. Your experience may differ.

-Aude.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I wonder if being methodical in your thinking is just something people are born with, and they gravitate to similar career paths. Engineers have an odd personality, they usually don't have a sense of humour, and they are known as rational thinkers, question is were they born this way? or were they taught this way?

• John Doe
    John Doe

The number one predictor of lifetime earning is education level achieved. I think that says it all.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

College effectively teaches people to live on their own. You live on campus, which serves as a transition from living with parents that totally support you but make all your decisions to living totally on your own. The parents will support you but to a lesser degree, while you have freedom to learn. You can also make mistakes and bad decisions, and learn from those, while in college (and good decisions as well).

For many, college is what triggers them to move out away from parents. If not for that, some would stay with their parents well into their 30s and even later. I have noticed that trend among the Jehovah's Witlesses--many children well into their 30s and beyond still living full time with parents. All so they can pio-sneer or go to Beth Hell (if they can get in).

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Yes, yes, yes, oh YES, it is worth it! You are so right, it is much more than the subjects studied, it teaches you about LIFE in ways you will not likely encounter elsewhere.

My only advice is... GET GRANTS, get scholarships, save your money and pay for it yourself, do not get into the "student loan" trap! Dear friends of mine are still paying for their student loans, with no end in SIGHT. You don't want to be paying for a huge student loan when you are wanting to plan for retirement.

I lied, that's not my only advice. The other bit is... go to community college! It is smaller classes, for less money, with the same professors as universities (university professors often "moonlight" at the community colleges.) Get an AA degree to seal the deal, then transfer to a university to concentrate on your major, with all of the general education requirements taken care of.

Yes, IT IS WORTH IT!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit