Coptic John 1:1 makes it into the Watchtower.

by slimboyfat 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rmnnoute
    rmnnoute

Kaz, thanks for your comments. I agree that translations of John 1:1 should honestly note or footnote the various ways it can be translated in harmony with the Greek text and the Johannine corpus of writings as a whole. That way, students of the Scriptures are able to make informed decisions as to what John meant to say relative to the Lord Jesus.

As for the Coptic, whereas it is not the original composition, it does fill out the picture of how ancient translators understood the original, and what it declared to them. Sahidic Coptic translators worked with a living Koine Greek, coming from a 500-year acquaintance with the language. That put them in a unique position to understand their text. It is an advantage that not even scholars today enjoy.

Also, a translated text, like the Coptic version, should not be underestimated. The early gentile Christian church liberally utilized the Greek Septuagint for their Old Testament. The LXX was not the original Hebrew. Still, the New Testament writers quoted from it as God's word.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Kaz, while I appreciate that this thread is dealing with the coptic view of John 1:1, I just wanted to point out that ONE view of something isn't always the way to go and that there are other views one must take into accoutn before we decide which one is the "correct" one for US.

The early church fathers got their view FIRST hand from the direct apostles of Jesus, like John, and not once was Jesus mentioned or viewed as "a god".

In my humble view, John 1:1 does NOT state that Jesus is God ( the Father) NOT doe sit state that jesus is "simply" "a god" ( implying one of many), it does state the perfect union of Jesus and God, echoed in Colossians for example.

Perhaps better translated as "All the God was, the Word was".

My 2 cents.

• Kas
    Kas

Hello PSacramento,

You said:

"Kaz, while I appreciate that this thread is dealing with the coptic view of John 1:1, I just wanted to point out that ONE view of something isn't always the way to go and that there are other views one must take into accoutn before we decide which one is the "correct" one for US."

I agree with the first part, i.e. that a preferred view isn't necessarily the way to go, but I disagree with the second part of your point. It's true that there can be more than one legitimate way to understand a text of Scripture, in light of our limited understanding. That's why I feel that valid grammatical alternatives should be given serious consideration and they should typically be footnoted. Sadly, it seems that few are willing to do this. However, and here is where we disagree, I wouldn't qualify an understanding as "'correct'...for US". I don't think that we should assume that a view is "correct" simply because it fits comfortably within our own set of theological presuppositions. IMO, there is no "'correct'...for US"; there is only correct and incorrect, at least when it comes to the original author's intent.

You continued:

"The early church fathers got their view FIRST hand from the direct apostles of Jesus, like John, and not once was Jesus mentioned or viewed as 'a god'."

I don't think that the evidence supports such a blanket assertion. For example, Justin Martyr had these interesting words to say:

"There is, and that there is said to be, another God and Lord subject to the Maker of all things who is also called an Angel, because He announces to men whatsoever the Maker of all things, above whom there is no other God, wishes to announce to them.... I shall endeavour to persuade you, that He who is said to have appeared to Abraham, and to Jacob, and to Moses, and who is called God, is distinct from Him who made all things, I mean numerically, not in will." (Dialogue with Trypho, 56)

For years I have contemplated the possibility that Justin's reference to the LOGOS as "another god" emerged from his reflection on John 1:1c, where the Son is referred to as both LOGOS and as QEOS (= "a god", in context). I have since found that I am not alone in holding this view, as Adela Yarbro Collins has offered the same understanding:

"...the third clause of John 1:1 may be translated either 'the word was God' or 'the word was a god.' Justin Martyr apparently understood the passage in the latter way." (See "King and Messiah as Son of God: Divine, Human, and Angelic Figures in Biblical and Related Literature", by John J. Collins and Adela Yarbro Collins), pp. 175 & 176

You concluded:

"In my humble view, John 1:1 does NOT state that Jesus is God ( the Father) NOT doe sit state that jesus is "simply" "a god" ( implying one of many), it does state the perfect union of Jesus and God, echoed in Colossians for example...Perhaps better translated as "All the God was, the Word was"."

Well, I would say that if "the Word was God" is the correct translation then John 1:1 could very naturally be saying that the LOGOS is the Father, or, more specifically, the "one God, the Father" (1 Cor. 8:6). This wouldn't necessarily result in modalism, as many mistakenly assume. It would result in a paradox, to be sure, but there are ways to resolve the paradox without resorting to modalism. Further, I question your use of the phrase "simply...a god". Calling the Son "a god" in relation to the Almighty God of the universe really doesn't strike me as something that can legitimately be referred to as "simply", at least not in the context of John 1, where this second god is instrumental in the creation of the entire universe, and is the only Son whose existence is defined by his priviledged position at the bosom of the Father.

As for the revised translation you've offered, "All the God was, the Word was", I would like to point out three things:

(i) This doesn't appear to be a valid translation of the Greek, but seems more like theological commentary, albeit ultra-concise commentary. Can you imagine how Trinitarians would excoriate the WTS if they dared to offer such a theologically loaded, unnatural rendering of a very strait-forward Greek clause?

(ii) The rendering is actually quite ambiguous. You don't realize this because, as a Trinitarian, you automatically fill in the gap with ideas that emerge from the presupposition of Trinitarianism. In saying this I don't mean to criticize you, for we all bring our presuppositions to the text, and I'm no exception. However, note that the "God" of clause B is the Father, yet Trinitarians don't believe that Jesus is "All" that God the Father is. You don't believe that the Son is God the Father, first person of the Trinity, which he would have to be if he were really "All" that God the Father is to a Trinitarian. You don't believe that the Son is the begetter of the Son, which he would have to be if he were truly "All" that God the Father is to a Trinitarian. You don't believe that the Son is the one who has functional authority over the Son within the Trinitarian Godhead, which he would have to have if he were truly "All" that God the Father is to a Trinitarian. No, in the end you will allow the Son to instantiate only those attributes/characteristics that he can have as "God the Son, second person of the Trinity", nothing more, and nothing less. Its seems to me that one simply does not get that from John. It's brought to the text, not inferred from the text.

(iii) While the revised rendering you've offered does answer one of my questions, it doesn't answer the more important one: What kind of noun do you understand "QEOS" (=God) to be at John 1:1c? Is it a proper name, a proper noun, a proper noun functioning as the semantic equivalent of a proper name, a title, a definite noun, an indefinite noun, a mass noun, a count noun, an abstract noun, or something else? It is crucial that you identify what kind of noun it is, because this will help us determine whether what is argued by orthodox expositors is truly plausible, grammatically.

~Kaz

• letusreason.letusreason
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I never read before about the Coptic distinction. Somehow I doubt they consulted a Coptic academic to see how it was interpeted. But, if the WT feels that the Coptic way is the only way, why bother with a NWT? Just provide us with an English translation of the Coptic Bible. It also appears as only one strand of the Coptic religion translates John 1 in this manner.

Also, what are the reasons for the Coptic tradition being more accurate than the Roman, North African, or Middle Eastern strands. Why not follow what Thomas taught in India? Perhaps there are compelling reasons for giving the Coptic translation such weight but list them. So 99.9% of Christianity translates John 1:1 one way but the Society chooses the .1% to follow. I also suspect that the Witnesses translated John 1:1 to suit their doctrine and then went fishing for anything that offered a hint of support. Why not Vedic literature? Why not the Book of Mormon? Why not Manson's writings?

What truly annoys me that when I was young and did not know better, precisely this sort of claim convinced me of how they had to be correct. Seriously, I never could believe that the Roman Catholic Church and Protestants did not appreciate the sheer brilliance of the WT writings and convert.

• ShadesofGrey

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit