Bibles

by Sasha 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I would recommend getting a group of Bibles so you can compare between them.

My favorite is the Jerusalem Bible. The translation is good (a bit more on the idiomatic side than the literal side btw) and it has a very user-friendly interface in breaking down the structure of the text and putting the chapter and verse numbers in the margin. This makes it so much easier to follow the thread of an author's argument and grasp the point of the text. If you get the unabridged version, you also get cross-references and footnotes. Oh yeah, and it uses "Yahweh" in the OT for the tetragrammaton which is better imo than "Jehovah" and the traditional "LORD".

• Dagney
    Dagney
    My favorite is the Jerusalem Bible. The translation is good (a bit more on the idiomatic side than the literal side btw) and it has a very user-friendly interface in breaking down the structure of the text and putting the chapter and verse numbers in the margin. This makes it so much easier to follow the thread of an author's argument and grasp the point of the text. If you get the unabridged version, you also get cross-references and footnotes. Oh yeah, and it uses "Yahweh" in the OT for the tetragrammaton which is better imo than "Jehovah" and the traditional "LORD".

Mine too. It's the whole ball of wax in one book. Introductions to the books so you have a clue about what and where you are reading about. It has a timeline in the back, and copious footnotes that shed a wealth of information.

I used it solely and brought it to the meeting for at least a year or so before I left.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Thanks for the Jerusalem Bible recommendation (which was rather more helpful than my suggestion above ;) ); that sounds good and I might buy one.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Thanks for the Jerusalem Bible recommendation (which was rather more helpful than my suggestion above ;) ); that sounds good and I might buy one.

I just noticed, I meant the "New Jerusalem Bible", which is I believe an updated version of the Jerusalem Bible. Anyway, I purchased mine from Amazon, the 1300 page version. Best $26 I ever spent. If anything, it is such a great reference Bible IMO. And is in modern English, very easy to read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit