Annoying comment in Sep 1 WT about higher education

by penny2 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• penny2
    penny2

There's a box on page 10:

quote:

What will be the "End Afterward"?

Young people are often exposed to temptations and pressures to experiment with things that seem popular. Here are some likely scenarios.

• Someone dares you to smoke a cigerette.
    • A well-intentioned teacher urges you to pursue higher education at a university.
    • You are invited to a party where alcohol and possibly drugs will be freely available.
    • "Why don't you post your profile on the Internet?" someone suggests.
    • A friend invites you to watch a movie that features violence or immorality.

If you are ever confronted with any of such situations, what will you do? Will you simply give in, or will you carefully consider what the "end afterward" could be? You would be wise to ask yourself: "Can a man rake together fire into his bosom and yet his very garments not be burned? Or can a man walk upon the coals and his feet themselves not be scorched?" - Prov 6:27,28

I am angry that higher education is thrown in with smoking, drugs and violence. How many young people will be destined to a life of poverty because of articles like this? Impressionable kids making life decisions based on rubbish like this!

penny

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

You are absolutely right to be annoyed by things like this. A college education is equated with drug abuse and smoking - sad. Backwards and sad. Could you imagine trying to convince a bible study about the horrors of higher learning?

I don't believe that college is the only means of success, yet for many, including myself, it made a big difference between being stuck in a back-breaking, labor intensive job, or being able to move ahead professionally and of course being able to provide for my family.

But everyone already knows what the WTS really fears - people who learn to think for themselves....

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

This Makes you Barf here!

Somone else mentioned it in a thread but did not give the Quote like you did!

• VM44
    VM44
    "...Or can a man walk upon the coals and his feet themselves not be scorched?" - Prov 6:27,28"

The answer is "Yes, a man can!", but I don't think that is the answer that either The Watchtower or the writer of Proverbs wanted the reader to respond with.

Michael Shermer Firewalking Across Hot Coals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5FRl0qhOM

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

and the sad thing is that 99% will agree that education, drugs, & smoking cigarettes go hand in hand

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I think you should make copies of the page and send to local school board superintendent.

I would also send one local news media, state representatives, and anyone in a capacity to make waves.

This is Dark Ages stuff. This is sly manipulation and very deceitful. I would get some big guns on WT's ass for making such a statement and equating college with a life of crime and drugs.

Take advantage of this well presented opportunity to push their faces in the mud.

• penny2
    penny2
    people who learn to think for themselves....

independent, you're right. I believe most who go to uni end up leaving the JWs.

Number1, I thought it might have been on here before but I couldn't find it to make a comment. Plus I got so annoyed, it was a bit of therapy to type it out.

VM44, I've seen it on TV but won't be trying it myself!

Thanks for your comments.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I think they are afraid of education because we might find out that women and cows do not share the same sexual prowess.

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

It was just mentioned in somone elses thread ! It was not the topic! Thx

• VM44
    VM44

That The Watchtower is still talking against "higher education" reminds me of this "famous" quote from the May 22, 1969 Awake! magazine:

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfilment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the "last days" in 1914, Jesus foretold: This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur" - Math.24:34. Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfil any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system be by that time? It will be well on the way toward it's finish, if not actually gone!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit