How Were "Sisters" Treated In Your Hall?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Women tend to be more empathetic and sympathetic and so in a shepherding, listening counselling situation are also far better equipped than most men and especially better than the "Little Hitler" type POs

• blondie
    blondie
    Blondie, I guess there were no males in these Halls "qualified". to do this stuff.

In those cases even "baptism" was more than these elders required. I saw in 2 cases men who were baptized who could not read, even 8 years after their baptism. They couldn't read at the book study so the elders made sure they were in groups with a qualified reader; but then what happened if he was on vaction or sick? There were numerous "baptized" brothers in the congregation where the sister audited, and in the one where a sister did the accounts. But then it would have taken the elders 3 months to sort out all their mistakes. Money is important and better a qualified woman (behind the scenes) than an incompetent brother. I was valued and respected by some men in the congregation and not by others. I found that the ones that did not respect women tended not to value the men in their congregation either. Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

These were the types of guys that wanted you to think that "handling the microphones" was a "PRIVILEGE"!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

pioneer sisters and elders wives - very well I was a regular pioneer and so was/(is?) my mother, but that didnt't stop the elders from counseling us to be better wives when our husbands were abusive. In my mom's case, it was emotional and mental abuse, but in my case, it was physical abuse as well. There was counsel for the erring husbands too, but nothing was enforced, even though they were the problem.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I am glad that some sisters got to use their potential in other halls I read about above. sad to say in all of the halls I attended from New Mexico, to Washington, To California the sisters were all relegated to housewifery, submission at least in public, and the number three.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

On the surface it looked as though they were treated well. The problem was that beneath the surface it wasn't always what it seemed. Generally speaking I thought I was treated well but that was before some tried to overstep their boundaries or made stupid, unasked for comments or, worse yet, insulted my intelligence.

I noticed certain 'sisters' had unhealthy boundaries with brothers/elders. Some acted as if the elders were surrogate husbands or father figures and had them involved in all their business as though they were adolescent girls who couldn't take care of themselves. This was offensive to me. As a single working woman, I learned to keep my mouth shut. If I didn't I would have some idiot trying to tell me MY business.

LHG

• minimus
    minimus

......per the Wt.

• lancelink
    lancelink

I was in a congregation where a sister moderated a book study, was the "accounts servant, magazine servant, literature servant." A real lack of brothers I have seen sisters in some congregations as an individual read the paragraphs at a book study without being required to wear a head covering. In one congregation, a sister audited the congregation accounts. In one a sister did accounts but had to hide it by having her husband sign it and announce it. In one the BOE wanted sisters to do the mikes but the CO forbade it and ordered the elders to do it. In one a sister also did sound, accounts, magazine/literature/territory because there was only one elder and no qualified baptized brothers. No way could he do everything Wow Blondie, are you talking about Lincoln Illinois back in the late 70's / early 80's ? This is almost exactly what was going on at this hall. Don karto was the head elder, and he did not want to use ANY of the younger guys. One year the CO came in and really put him in his place, I heard that he left shortly afterwards.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I don't remember being treated badly because I was a woman in any of the halls I was in, however, a couple sisters I knew that had been in other halls had been, and complained to me about it. One even said she had to tell a brother, "You are not my husband, therefore you are not my head!"

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Like second class nobodies, we all know that they are all harlots full of sin.

But isn't that the way most major religions view woman.

Remember all Gods are male and are powerful, hence woman are weak and unimportant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit