Higher Education Question - Need assistance please

by looking_glass 13 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

So I was talking to a friend of mine who was also raised a JW and who is also "inactive". He is seriously considering going back. The thing is that he is all into higher ed and is currently getting his masters. So I mentioned in passing that was a no-no and that it was my understanding that the dubs have taken such a high stance on it - that there is a letter saying if an elder has a child going to college that they can be asked to step down cause they are not setting a proper example (not putting spiritual things first). So of course the dude is saying that the apostates are saying this and it is not true. The only thing that really came out was the talk during the assembly and that did not say if you go you will be df'd or your elder dad will have to step down.

Am I completely dazed and confused about what I thought I heard/read? Can someone please help/direct me. I told him that if there is a letter I would not be able to produce it (which I suspect if it does exist it is on the net, but I think that might creep him out if I give him a copy of it) but if I can give the specifics that would be great. I was also thinking that the info may have come from an elders meeting and not a letter cause the WTBTS has wised up about putting things in writing. Yup, the spores are evolving to higher intelligence (though that does not say much considering where they are originating at).

Thanks for any help guys.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Not sure on the letter, but the Sept. public edition of the WT has education compared to things such as drug abuse and smoking....

• Open mind
    Open mind

It's not as black and white as you're probably hoping for.

This summer's District Convention cleverly used "personal experiences" to do the heavy hitting for them. Actual quotes from the Society were carefully trimmed double-speak with no one quote that was particularly inflammatory, IMO. The overall atmosphere was anti-higher education though. A dig here. A slight there.

I'm not aware of a PDF copy of the letter to BOEs floating around. (Yet.)

Stillajwexelder talked about it in this thread though:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/159645/1.ashx

Bottom line from the letter was this:

If an elder sends his kids AWAY to get a four-year degree, they don't at least occasionally Aux Pioneer, and he publicly advocates this, he should be removed.

If an elder sends his kid to college to become an architect, kids lives at home and pioneers while he's in school, that's OK.

Between those two extremes, the BOE and CO can argue about the grey.

om

• Mary
    Mary

Anyone who doesn't believe that the Witnesses strongly discourage higher education can see the talks given on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R4f9ygxDbk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdlM_C4EyUA

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

2007 November Circuit Overseers meeting with elders in Spanish and English. Here is page 6: ******************************************************************** http://www.sendspace.com/file/0f86iv N.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Mary - I did see those on Utube. The reason I asked about a letter was because I thought I had read about one on this forum. Thanks to OM he directed me thru links and eventually I got to the past threads that I had read. Seem that people have "heard" of this letter but no one has seen it. I suspect that the theory that currently exists is correct which is they are not dumb enough to put it in writing. But I do have enough to say to him re CO visits and the hard hard line they have taken.

I am afraid he is getting sucked back into the "don't question" and if you hear something negative chalk it up to apostates. So if that is the case, I will not argue w/ him cause we all know how frustrating it is to argue w/ a JW ... they are ALWAYS right and we are always wrong regardless of the proof otherwise.

Thanks again guys for all your help! [dabs tear from her eye] you are the best

• changeling
    changeling

FYI: This letter will not be seen by most witnesses. Not even elders. It is written for CO's to use as a guide in the meeting with the elder body. I do have an elder friend who confirmed this is true but your friend may or may not chose to believe this.

No one will be DF'd for attending college, but those doing so will not have priviledges and will be looked upon as "weak".

changeling

• Open mind
    Open mind

DOH!

I forgot! As changeling mentioned above, it was NOT a letter to the BOE. It was the outline sent to CO's to be used when they meet with the elders during their visits. Usually, 90-100% of the outline is read verbatim to the elders. But as for a lowly elder actually laying hands on the thing? Well, I've never tried.

Thanks for keeping it accurate changeling!

om

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Basically, you not only have to pay money and your own time to go to college, but you have to pay your local congregation commensurately in service time and congregational duties. If you're pursuing a bachelors or *gasp* masters, make sure you auxillary pioneer during the summer break and go out on Sundays a few times (in addition to Saturdays, of course). Volunteer to do short-notice talks, and if you're male, get a job behind the counter.

If you pursue higher education without doing all these things, the elders will hound you to collect their "payment" of token service.

• Atlantis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit