Should A Killer Be Put To Death If He's Mentally Ill?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Restrangled

Interesting story. That could be seen from another angle. It could be termed an execution for pedophilia and rape and kidnapping. Thus, it puts the father in the position of being the law. Strange concept in a western country, where the govt claims practically all rights and powers for itself. It comes down to extending the death penalty to pedo rapists. Not saying that it's right, just putting out an alternate idea outside the box.

S

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Why they left her alone with her children baffles my mind. Would you leave children alone with someone who is delusional...elusional in the sense that they clearly have no grasp on reality?

I'm sure they left her alone with those kids for the same reason people and society leaves kids with mentally ill people every day in this country. A) The delusional is dirt common -- the murder is still pretty rare. B) Since we don't have care for the mentally ill ("we" as a society), "we" just have to live with it.

Even if America gets some form of "universal" healthcare, we will still not have (just like the UK does not have), anywhere near the mental healthcare available that we need.

... and the politics and reality of healthcare aside, throw into the mix bad beliefs that "heaven is a better place than this crazy old world for my babies", "life is misery, a constant losing fight with sin", "God is talking to me" or, "liberals are destroying America" "Sean Hannity is talking to me", etc etc. It's a recipe for blood and guts.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Even if America gets some form of "universal" healthcare, we will still not have (just like the UK does not have), anywhere near the mental healthcare available that we need.

First, 6of9 makes a valid and reasonable point. If we put mental health care into a hypothetical universal health care system, then there are certainly not going to be ten times the number of qualified health care professionals available to handle the huge increase in demand. If the government-controlled new health care people needed are underpaid and not held to much of any standards (like the public teaching profession) - then the quality of the program will rapidly decline.

Second, and this is a sad but realistic point of my own - I am not at all convinced that the mental health "rehabilitation" of the type of offenders that this thread is addressing is of any real use at all.

Logic would dictate that the one and only reason to treat a mentally ill murderer any different from a non-mentally ill murderer is the hope that they could be reliably and totally rehabilitated. Otherwise, they should serve their sentence the same as anyone else. I submit to you that nobody - no psychologist, no analyst, no criminologist, no judge, no clergyman, - nobody - can determine such a thing with the absolute total accuracy needed to protect society in such cases.

Which leaves one obviously viable outcome...either life in prison or death. Which one is quite another debate.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

if a dog bites you, you put it down.

regardless of its motives or lack of.

Its removing the problem not treating or judging it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There is mental illness and there is mental illness. Not all mental illnesses are going to impair someone to the point that they do not understand what they are doing. There needs to be a distinction when you discuss a subject such as this thread addresses.

As for universal health care: it doesn't necessarily have to be under government control. Keep in mind that currently, mental health care for the poor and under or uninsured is provided by county and state agencies. The care is sometimes only available for the severely impaired, as in the county in which I live. The sad thing is that often when a person is not in crisis, has never had treatment or a diagnosis, the person will be turned down for services. Then the person is discouraged and goes onto become acutely mentally ill. Depending on the illness and individual, this can end up endangering the person as well as other people.

If you've ever been with a person who is schizophrenic or otherwise suffers from a psychotic disorder, you know that the person really can go into a world of unreality and not understand that he/she is impaired. I have seen this happen and know the person could not make any normal judgments or decisions. In this kind of circumstance, hopefully the person can be forced through court order to be evaluated, properly treated and followed carefully to be sure he/she continues to be stable.

Anyone can claim to be mentally ill or insane as a defense. It's very hard to get a jury or judge to believe an insanity plea. Hopefully only the truly insane will be judged as such and sentenced accordingly.

If you ever know someone who is coming unglued, do not be afraid to speak up and do not give up on getting help for the person. Many times no murder or death occurs, but there are other ways the life of the person can be changed and even ruined, because no one cares enough to step in to make sure the person gets helpAlso, mental illness is more successfully treated when it is caught early. I've seen more than one person suffer for years, while families and friends passed the buck.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

jaguar: if there is reasonable doubt that they did commit a murder they should get life in prison??

Knock Knock, Life in prison or something less than death.

If they are not dead they can likely get out when the exonerating evidence presents itself.

Also reasonable doubt could go as far as exoneration.

I'm saying, If there is a reasonable doubt a person should not be executed.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If a killer is mentally ill..He should be sent to Minimus`s house to live!........................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit