Something for the agnostics and atheists - Divine Spark still there

by Octarine Prince 19 Replies latest social current

• Octarine Prince
  • Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Nice story, but....

How does this relate to us atheists and agnostics?

The baby was simply alive, though she was thought to be dead. What does this have to do with "god"?

A@G

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Octarine Prince:

The fact that our instruments couldn't register the remaining life-spark still in the child is very interesting.

We go to the moon, but we still don't 100% know when someone is dead?

Ah, now I see. I thought this was a "Here's something heartwarming, therefore there's a god" thread but actually it's a "Science isn't perfect, therefore there's a god" thread.

A story with a happy ending to be sure, but it tells us nothing about whether gods exist.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

This is not impressive to anyone who has seen The Princess Bride.

• Galileo
    Galileo

This is an incredible story. It brought a tear to my eye. No need to turn it into a debate over the existence of God in my opinion. Thanks for sharing this. It made my day.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

So a medical mishap by some incompetent humans proves there is a god......... what a divinely stupid suggestion, I'd say

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Dumbass doctor accidentally proves that god exists.

Severely brain-damaged baby is the physical proof of gods love.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    ...any premature infant of that weight and age had only a 10 percent chance for survival.

So that simply means that 1 out of 10 baby's of this level of prematurity survive.

It's a beautiful story, but the existence of God has nothing to do with it. I was born at 25 weeks, by caesarean section, I was among the lucky 10%. The other 90% sadly died. It's not being negative, it's just telling the whole story.

[Dr. Moshe] Daniel speculated that the cooling effect of the morgue slowed the infant's metabolism, causing her oxygen consumption to be very low.

The baby's slowed metabolism is thought to have slowed her oxygen consumption, keeping her brain from losing all its neural connections. By chance, perhaps by some kind of sensory input (shock), the heart re-started, feeding her lungs with the limited oxygen and enabling them to start drawing in even more oxygen, feeding the brain and continuing the process. Not a miracle, but a heartwarming story nonetheless.

Unfortunately, merely having a "warm-heart" is not going to make the situation better for the unlucky 90% that die. Doctors also get that "heartwarming" feeling, but they channel their feelings of love and pity into action. They don't just sit down marvelling at the small percentage of times when good-luck strikes... They do the research to try and keep as many people as possible from suffering and dying. Hopefully, medical science can progress towards finding the solution to keeping the 90% of unlucky babies alive too.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

That god fella shure is a jokester!

The baby died the next day. This time permanently.

• zagor
    zagor

I hope she survives, she is a little fighter by the sound of it :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit