Was There Any 1 Thread or Post or Subject That REALLY Got You Thinking???

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

I used to be a "dipf**k".

Until Farkel explained what one was.

Now I've got this Open Mind and I'm still figuring out how to use the darn thing.

om

• undercover
    undercover

I was already doubting and questioning when I came here...in fact I was already hitting other sites and avoiding the forums because of *gasp* apostates... (you know who you are)

By the time I was lurking here, I was ready to listen to former members to get their perspective though I was more interested in real proof of things like the UN scandal or proof of changing doctrine that couldn't just be "new light" but was contradictory of former "light".

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

It's noteworthy that those that got us really thinking are the bluntest.

This is more than true, it is a truth. The sophomorical, back-slapping, 'supportive' threads that we saw too much of in recent times did nothing to impart life-changing information, but did much to empower the needy in their neediness. The reality is Minimus that people will think others who point out anything that criticizes their thinking in any way, as 'rude', especially emerging JW's who have been convinced, often for decades that what issues from their mind is automatically correct merely because they read an Awake!magazine on the subject once. Often we need to be shaken from the stupor that the WTS left our brains in and made to wake up. The process is not comfortable, but imo the posters who do the shaking are doing us a great service in more ways than we might imagine. HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The reality is Minimus that people will think others who point out anything that criticizes their thinking in any way, as 'rude', especially emerging JW's who have been convinced, often for decades that what issues from their mind is automatically correct merely because they read an Awake!magazine on the subject once. Often we need to be shaken from the stupor that the WTS left our brains in and made to wake up. The process is not comfortable, but imo the posters who do the shaking are doing us a great service in more ways than we might imagine.

One can be critical, without being an asshole. Assholes just make a stink. BTS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

One can be critical, without being an asshole. Assholes just make a stink.

....and your posts would be a lesson in what style?

One mans 'asshole' is anothers critic Burn, THAT was the point of my post....missed by you as usual because you did not stop long enough to think about it before you reacted. Some think you an 'asshole', others just a critic and this would depend on just how much of an 'asshole', or 'critic' you have been.

I have seen AlanF described as an 'asshole' on this board by many of the people that he entered into debate with. I have also seen his name regularly turn up on posts where posters have stated that it was his posts that ensured their exit from the WTS. Same with Farkel, and yes, the same with me. I have a least three email messsages just this week from persons thanking me for driving home points vigorously when needed, especially in my past posts, when I took the XJW 'community' a little more seriously than I do now.

Those days have long gone.

HS

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

When Trevor was exposed with his wild ride he took me on about his lovely made up wife, Linda.

purps

• undercover
    undercover
    I have seen AlanF described as an 'asshole' on this board by many of the people that he entered into debate with. I have also seen his name regularly turn up on posts where posters have stated that it was his posts that ensured their exit from the WTS. Same with Farkel, and yes, the same with me.

I can attest to that...

All three of these guys posted on my first thread...the confused dub with doubts. As time went by I noticed that that these guys, plus a few others had a real handle on the scandals and the doctrines and they weren't afraid to get in someone's fact, so to speak to make a point or to argue with a somewhat thick apologist. It was their handling of certain posters that helped me to use my critical thinking better...not that I'm on the same level as some of the great posters of the JWD era, but much better than when I was a JW.

I think a lot of us owe thanks to these guys who were willing to be labeled not-so-fuzzy-and-warm to get the point across. You never know who's lurking and learning...

• minimus
    minimus

For some, it depends upon timing. Some people can accept the in your face approach better than others. Most JWs are babies, to begin with. They are often emotionally stunted and cannot accept any type of criticism. That's why group hugs are so popular. To be fair, what's so good about this place is the balance. Otherwise, my bet is that JWD would never have been as successful as it is now. H2O was a great thinking man's site but has pretty much dead for years. And it's not because the posters weren't sharp. It just didn't have a balance that allowed others to feel a comfort level unless they solely wanted to debate. Not all are debaters. Some are lovers.

• undercover
    undercover
    Not all are debaters. Some are lovers.

and some just ask a bunch of questions

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

ALLYMOM's Famous KISS Method

and

The thread Farkel started and number contributed to concerning Rutherford's possible mistress. It was terrific to watch it unfold over the 3 or 4 days it happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit