My theory about the behavior and obsession of some ex-JWs

by Simon 135 Replies latest jw friends

• wednesday
    wednesday

The wts obsession with rules instead of love just does not work. If you don't' teach children why they should not do something, they will do it at the first opportunity. Love by example teaches us why we should not lie, steal cheat etc. The wts fails miserably in that aspect. If they handled teenage "sins" ( or any kind of sins) in a more normal way, they would have less dysfunctional adults and marriages. They produce dysfunctional people who are so burdened from minor sins they often just go off at the first opportunity..

Many people in the org are severely depressed b/c they just cannot measure up. People kill themselves b/c they believe they are not as good as others b/c they have committed sins. . Dregs of humanity? No , humans who have problems and need help.

Fundy religions can be mean spirited and spite filled people with an axe to grind. God does not want people to go to hell or die at Armageddon, People do.

The bible says love never fails .I believe that.

However anyone left jws, I'm happy for you...I walked out after realizing the double standard they have - one for the inner circle and one for the peasants. I want nothing to do with any org that looks down it noses on the poor, sick and yes, dysfunctional. A church is there to help the dysfunctional, not kick them out.

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

I understand what you are saying....expecially about the individuals who should have been forced out, who needed to be. They tend to blame the Organization for their problems based on the fact they got kicked out. I have never thought of it that way, but really understand what you are describing. When someone is DF'd, we tend to sympathize with the person punished becauce we just do not trust the elders. However the elders do have "problem people" that have to be forced out. Then those problem people affiliate with us, and the natural tendancy for an ex-JW is to embrace their concerns. When in fact we really have little in common with them. There is a huge difference between a person who leaves for "truths sake" and one who is "forced out" becauce of, as an example.... having abused a child. Just becauce you are an ex-JW, does not mean that you were treated unjustly. This was a great topic, becauce I think I will adjust my approach a little, becauce I can get a little bitter and probobly act in a way, that could suggest, I am a "problem person", when really I am just passionate about the way I was treated at a young age by the WTBTS! Your takes Simom, may be a generalization, but first impressions are mostly generalized!

• rocketman
    rocketman

I agree with comments made by Cluless and Wednesday. Getting kicked out can leave someone with some serious, unresolved issues that simmer/boil for a long time......... ..........Let's say for instance some kid is raised a jw, gets baptized, then commits some "sin" such as immorality as the hormones kick in and pretty much take over. Said person gets kicked out after being judged "unrepentant" because the simply can't get a good enough (for the WTS) handle on their sexual impulses. ........It's not surprising at all to me that said person would place blame on the Organization. It's frustrating when the group standard is so high, and a person feels like a failure when unable to attain to it. Kicked out, they may very well lash out. Not surprising. >>>>>>>>>I really think that every person who fits such a 'mold' should avail themselves to psychiatric counseling. It could be very helpful in dealing with the crushing feeling of being judged a failure and having to somehow deal with that.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Your theory makes sense to me.

I walked away in 83 because of 75, I have no doubt that its not the truth.

I stumbled in here looking, surfing for the truth on the internet. And just enjoyed posting and reading.

• jgnat
    jgnat

In essesence, Simon, those rare few who would not accept their rejection, are rejected twice. It's sort of like the difference in grief in recovery from divorce. It's doubly hard for the rejectee, not matter how necessary the separation might have been.

• gymbob
    gymbob

I don't think anybody really understands what being a witness means except someone who has been there/done that.

I have ex-dub friends who neverthink about JW's, even though being born and raised in it. And then some the other way.....

Also, I love the can of worms photo! One of the reasons this site is so needed! Gymbob

• White Dove
    White Dove

That might be true for some. They didn't have the power to leave on their own terms. It was stolen from them.

Me? I am bitter. I see no good from that org at all.

Why? When you get abandoned out, there is that similar feeling of rejection that df's have that is similar to a nasty divorce with you as the innocent mate.

We didn't deserve to be kicked out, or in my case pushed out by abandonment.

Damn straight I'm bitter. That was my whole life and I fought for it hard. Bastards!

It's gonna take some time.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Dregs of humanity? No , humans who have problems and need help.

Anyone who doesn't accept the fact that there are examples of "dregs of humanity" in the JW org. are naive. I won't relate any examples, but you can pretty much include every kind of rotten (and criminal) behaviour you can think of.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Now, some of these seem to be the most obsessive and even 20 years after they have not moved on, they still define themselves as ex-JWs, their circle of friends and people they associate with (often online) are other ex-JWs and they cannot let things go.

Raises my hand!!!< that is me....
    When I was kicked out (in tact ,except 1914. every thing else was true) There were no groups like this to come to... Then when I was on the Sally Jessie Show. folks got in touch with the show who wanted to talk to me because they too were ousted. Then the newspaper got a big story on me ( the Record) then I started a suppport group because so many were getting in touch, paid $320 for one lounge room in the Holiday Inn so we could meet ,Once a month,My apartment was to small.It was advertized in the Paper, Elders would sit in the front lounge to see who came. LOL!!! They thought we didnt notice them...
    Then Churches started offering their places to use -but we couldnt do that because many coming out were afraid to go into a church.Then we were given a VERY CHEAP Hall in a College because one of our group was the cook there ...I never took any ones money it was all my own.Except The Kaukles helped with the Holiday Inn half.
    Then Attila came to the group & he was a life saver to me. Because he set me up on this computor...& All of you.... Thanks Attila!

But since being kicked out I do NOTHING ELSE!!!! except be an EX JW..... It will be & is my lifes work Why? You ask, Because when I was kicked out I had lost ALL ( I thought) no friends, Hubby had died ,friends shunned me (MANY) My Daughter ,grandkids shunned me. I wanted to die, I say I walked through HELL>>>>
    I Speak in all the churches ,groups, ANYWHERE they ask me.... I cant do anything else though some of my grand kids & my daughter that is out ( gus gus) keeps telling me "GET A LIFE GRAN" It IS my life..... So there it is !!! I am an EX JW..... I love them ALL. I know they are followers of followers ,& As I was called the "PIED PIPER when I was a JW..... I REALLY DO WANT to be that as a Christian
    Please only small stones to be thrown, Rocks hurt.

• trevor
    trevor

One of my last conversations with an elder:

I arrived at the Kingdom Hall early for the evening meeting and wandered around chatting to the friends I had made. Elder Mature was still concerned about me and seized the opportunity to chat to me again. ‘It’s good to see you at the meeting and looking so smart Trevor.’ He ran his eyes over my suit no doubt puzzled by the lack of creases. I guessed what was coming next. ‘ You know we talked before about being strong in The Truth. It is meetings that make us strong. Without them we become weak and drift away.’

‘I am aware that missing meetings is seen as a sign of weakness.’ I commented.

‘Yes, and Satan is looking for weak members who have strayed near the edge to pick them off. If you stay close to the centre of The Organisation you will be safe. Jehovah will protect you if you draw close to him through regular meeting attendance.’

‘Not everyone leaves because they are weak. Sometimes the strong choose to walk away, whatever the cost to themselves, while the weak stay and look for people they perceive to be strong to cling to.’

Elder Mature looked at me for a moment taking in what I had said. ‘People leave because they have become weak in The Truth and loose their grip.’ He reaffirmed.

‘I am moved by your concern and I know you mean well but Perhaps the weakness lies elsewhere? There exists the possibility that if what is presented as The Truth proves to be weak, it is unable to hold people in its grip.’ I replied.

‘You are going to have to decide whether or not you want to serve Jehovah. You can’t do that without obeying his Organisation. There is no room for independent thinking in The Organisation Trevor.’ He said firmly.

‘You are not the first Elder to tell me that though you may well be the last. Thinking is always an independent action. The alternative is to shut our minds to reason and let others think for us and hope they get it right. That is called following blindly and is only made possible through an action called

cognitive dissonance.’

‘You have been reading those mind books again. The ones I warned you not to. Can’t you see how Satan has found a chink in your armour and is using this empty philosophy of the world to weaken you.’ He snapped.

‘I realize you have very definite ideas about the evils of education but understanding how our mind works and using it to its full potential is not made possible by a Devil. It is made possible because each of us a brain and it meant to be used, not buried under a pile of Watchtowers.’

Elder Mature’s eyes narrowed and I could see that he was upset. ‘We will have to talk about this another time when we can be joined by one of the other Elders, to see if we can straighten out your thinking.’ I watched as he walked away and wondered if the man that sold him his suit had a conscience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit