How do you feel now? EVOLUTION OR CREATION??

by chuckyy 81 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Would have loved to be at that lecture. Apparently it was supposed to be a debate but his opponent dropped out so he stepped up and spoke for 90 minutes.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I'm watching now. He's very witty and smart.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So he's Catholic. The first place I learned about evolution was in Catholic school. Seems they were able to come to terms with evolution. I remember the nun/teacher saying that however it happened, she believed God caused it. Then proceeded to teach us without prejudice---other than the opening remark.

NC

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

I laugh at the illogic of the "life comes from life" argument, because life obviously began. Even creationists believe that at some point, biological life did not exist, and then inorganic matter (dust) turned into organic matter. So it's not a matter of can nonlife become life, it's a matter of what processes are necessary to do that. Even if a creator deity personally took inorganic matter, and turned it into living organic matter, the processes of chemistry still apply.

So now you have the argument that there is no known process for inorganic matter to become living organic matter, but both sides insist that it did happen in the past (obviously.) One supposes that chemistry and physics can at least hypothetically do it, the other supposes that an invisible wizard with distinctly human characteristics is necessary for it. And some how the latter is supposed to be a more likely and cogent argument for how this occurs, despite it's highly unparsimonious addition of an invisible wizard that can't be accounted for, or explained, and the existence of whom is supposed to be assumed. Why am I supposed to find the second option more compelling than the first again?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Another great post, Jonathan H....

• tec
    tec

Life comes from life

I don't know if you're around a lot anymore, Scotsman (I think you are), but a couple weeks ago I was wondering if I wasn't making things more complicated. Was it more simple that life just happened randomly and from nothing, and that it just evolved from (whatever)? I received an answer from my lord at once.

Is it so inconceivable that life would come from life? Does it make more sense that life comes from death (which is nothing)?

Not just some thing from nothing (like some random neutron or proton or whatever it is that scientists are theorizing pop in and out of nothingness) But LIFE from nothing/death.

I just wanted to share, because this is the understanding that was given to me not too long ago. Then I read it here in your post as well.

On to the thread topic, I know that evolution is not about the beginning of life. So it does not have to be a choice for me, and it is not a choice for me. Evolution is not in conflict with our creator. Evolution is just a means or a tool.

I laugh at the illogic of the "life comes from life" argument, because life obviously began

Life from life... meaning a living universe and all that is within it... from life: from a living being. Life came forth from something LIVING. Rather than from nothing at all.

At least that is what I mean when I say life came from life.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

I received an answer from my lord at once.

It must be good not having to bother with all these complicated science books.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Extending Jonathan H's argument, not that I am in the same league as him with succinctly put cogent logic, but surely then the argument that "God" did not have a beginning, which believers use, is against their argument , where Tec, did your "Lord's" life come from ?

• tec
    tec

Extending Jonathan H's argument, not that I am in the same league as him with succinctly put cogent logic, but surely then the argument that "God" did not have a beginning, which believers use, is against their argument , where Tec, did your "Lord's" life come from ?

(My lord is Christ - whose life came from His Father: God.)

I assume you meant God though.

God always was. No beginning. So life from life doesn't apply to him... simply because God didn't "come out of" nothing. He just IS that life.

Something has to always be, Phizzy. It is hard for us to grasp that (gets easier); but something had to always be 'there' in order for there to be anything at all.

Peace,

Tammy

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

As far as the saying that "Life comes from life" I feel it is true, but not in an absolute sense as in "Life can only come from life and nowhere else" This statement can not be verified,, it can only be very subjective and reasonably associated with heavy bias.(not to mention what definition one has in mind with the term "life", which opens up a whole can of worms in it self), What about life on a quantum level,,say just pure awareness outside of our 4 dimensional continuum?

I'm more of the idea that there is just one thing that makes all the different things that exist,, and that is "Awareness"... but it becomes many,, split up into its many sub awareness es like me and you all the rest of different types of sub awareness es. Without "awareness" anywhere nothing exist. An absolute wisdom that makes everything exist inside pure "Awareness".

To me that could be called "God",,Of course he is very different from the jealous tribal god of Isreal,, he doesn't have to think and feel like you and me and at the same time he is both you and me and everything else all rolled in to one. An intricate tangled hierarchy of awareness es, comprising of both the known and the know-er. Pardoxically the many and the one.

Why wouldn't such an intelligence create a theater out of karmic residue, that could use time and 3 dimension to produce life on a gradual basis using mathematical equations to govern the mathematical behavior of sub particles to make life out of what appears in our intellect as chaos?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit