What lullabies did you sing to your kids?

by JimmyPage 27 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

For my grandkids and nephew

I play a cd by Sara Hickman NEWBORN

Sara Hickman: Newborn CD

This delightful collection of lullabies features some classic favorites as well as a few wonderful new songs. Hickman’s voice is clear and warm and sure to lull any baby. Hear familiar songs like “Brahms’ Lullaby” and “Moonshadow” in addition to Sara’s own wonderful songs. This is a beautiful CD that will be enjoyed again and again.

35 minutes.

Awards:
    • NAPPA Gold Award

purps

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

My son use to have me sing "On top of spagetti, all covered with cheese.." over and over. Another one he loved was

Oh, I went down South for to see my Sal
    Sing Polly wolly doodle all the day
    My Sal, she is a spunky gal

Fare thee well, fare thee well,
    Fare thee well my fairy fay
    For I'm going to Lou'siana for to see my Susyanna

Oh, my Sal, she is a maiden fair
    With curly eyes and laughing hair

Behind the barn, down on my knees
    I thought I heard a chicken sneeze

He sneezed so hard with the whooping cough
    He sneezed his head and the tail right off

Oh, a grasshopper sittin' on a railroad track
    A-pickin' his teeth with a carpet tack

Oh, I went to bed but it wasn't any use
    My feet stuck out like a chicken roost

Now, when my brain was off like in the case of LoveDubs would be...the song would be twinkle twinkle little star...or catch a little star and put it in your pocket.

• Confession
    Confession

Okay, this is really funny... I'm the youngest of four--all raised as JWs. My mom sang a certain lullaby to all four of us; it was by far the one she sang the most. We always called it "Skeeters Am A-Hummin'," but I just Googled it and found out it was originally called "Kentucky Babe." Here are the lyrics as I remember them--and, remember, my family is lily white.

Skeeters am a'hummin round that honeysuckle viiiine. Sleep Kentucky Baaaabe.

Sandman is a'comin' for that little babe of miiine. Sleep Kentucky Baaabe.

Silvery moon's a'shining in the heavens up above. Bobolink's a'pinin' for his little lady loooove.

You're sure mighty lucky. Babe of old Kentucky. Clooooose yoooour eyyyyes and sleeeep.

Flyyy awayyyy. Fly away Kentucky babe. Fly away to rest.

Flyyy awayyy. Lay your kinky, wooly head upon your mammy's breast. Clooose yooour eyyyyes and sleeeeeeeeep.

I'm telling you, I was nearly THIRTY before I realized the humor in our mom singing this song to us. "Lay your kinky, wooly head upon your mammy's breast"?! Just never thought about it. Turns out she was singing a "plantation lullaby," according to some of the sources I'm finding online. The full lyrics, which either Mom didn't sing--or I just can't remember, include things such as "possom fo' your breakfast," addresses the child being sung to as "little colored lady," and actually uses "little coon" instead of "little babe."

Mom grew up in the 30s and 40s in a small Tennessee town. She always spoke of how her entire family, including all the cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. would get together in big barns and sing and harmonize. I guess they added plantation lullabies to their repertoire.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I never sang lullabies to my kids, because when my firstborn was a baby, singing to him at night kept him awake. In the "mommy's singing, so it must be time for a PARTY!" kind of way; not the effect I wanted at all >:)

Once they could understand, I read them stories. When they were "too old" for stories (fluent readers, about ten or twelve), I encouraged them to read in bed.

GentlyFeral

• calico
    calico

My nephew loves it when you whisper sing a song in his ear--quiets him right down while I am rocking him! I love that baby!

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    My nephew loves it when you whisper sing a song in his ear--quiets him right down while I am rocking him! I love that baby!

Are you referring to "Sing a song of six pense, a pocket full of rye"? Another one I would sing...lol

• calico
    calico

Guess I worded that kinda funny--I meant sing in a whisper tone. He doesn't seem to care about what song you sing--at least not yet!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Duérmete mi niño, duérmete mi amor
    Duérmete pedazo de mi corazón,
    que tengo que hacer,
    lavar tus pañales sentarme a coser
    Ese niño quiere que lo duerma yo,
    dormir en mis brazos y en mi corazón.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit