September 2008 WT request

by CharlieBrownsLovelyDaughter 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mary
    Mary
    I don't know of ANY god without a name.

The question isn't "does God have a name?", but rather, 'are we supposed to use it?" From what I can see in the Hebrew Scriptures, the Israelites knew what God's name was, but I sincerely doubt they used it on a daily basis, not out of superstition, but simply out of respect.

Here's a modern day example: Queen Elizabeth. When biographers or the media write a piece about her, they may call her "Queen Elizabeth" or "The Queen" or "Her Majesty", etc. They do not just call her by her first name, as that would show extreme disrespect for her position as a reigning Queen. And from my understanding, even those that work closely with her on a daily basis do not address her as "Elizabeth", they address her as "Your Majesty" and then "Ma'am". It's not that anyone's "superstitious" about pronouncing her name, it's just a mark of respect to use her the titles "Your Majesty" or "The Queen" as opposed to her Christian name.

So if we, in the 20th century, still do this with a human leader, is it any wonder that the Israelites did not use the Creator's name "in vain" thousands of years ago? That they substituted "Lord" and "God" for His personal name shows how deeply they respected The Name by not "using it in a worthless manner", not out of superstition.

Not only that, but I'm trying to think of a scripture where Jesus' disciples actually called him by his name.....I can't think of one (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). They always addressed him as "Rabbi" or "Lord"----I don't recall them ever calling him "Jesus" to his face. Yet when they wrote down their experiences with him in later years, they wrote his name several times. It's the same thing: They didn't use his name on a daily basis, simply out of respect for him as the Messiah.

I think this is another example of the WTS going to the opposite extreme in an attempt to 'prove' that they're justified in using the name "Jehovah" the same as you would use "Bob" or "Bill". Yet by them doing so, they're directly going against what the scriptures say.

• justhuman
    justhuman

WT uses the same reasoning regarding "God's" name. But there are many other aspects regarding YHWH that they ignore, or actually they don't like to comment. Here are the basic facts that they ignore:

1.Jesus followers accepted to be named CHRISTIANS not Jehovah's Witnesses. By the way the name it was adopted in the Antioch Congreagation and not the "Governing Body" in Jerusalim, and the rest of the Christian Congregations accept it. What a huge difference between Booze Jo's changing name from Bible Students to JW's!!!

2.Jesus said to his desciples that "You will be my witnesses untill the end of times" He didn't said you will be the Witness of YHWH

3. The Father -Son - Holy Spirit, share the same name since Jesus told to His followers to Baptize in the Name of the Father -Son -Holy Spirit, and the name that the 3 persons share is YHWH

4. The Isralites had a Master-Slave relation with Jehovah that is why they were calling Him Jehovah, while Christians have a Father - Son relation that is why they are refering to Him as Father Jesus Lords Day prayer(in the Greek days we don't use the Latin, and for Sunday we call it Lords day -Kyriaki) begins with "Our Father". So a child respects the father by calling Him dad and not using the name

• justhuman
    justhuman

WT uses the same reasoning regarding "God's" name. But there are many other aspects regarding YHWH that they ignore, or actually they don't like to comment. Here are the basic facts that they ignore:

1.Jesus followers accepted to be named CHRISTIANS not Jehovah's Witnesses. By the way the name it was adopted in the Antioch Congreagation and not the "Governing Body" in Jerusalim, and the rest of the Christian Congregations accept it. What a huge difference between Booze Jo's changing name from Bible Students to JW's!!!

2.Jesus said to his desciples that "You will be my witnesses untill the end of times" He didn't said you will be the Witness of YHWH

3. Father -Son - Holy Spirit, share the same name since Jesus told to His followers to Baptize in the Name of the Father -Son -Holy Spirit, and the name that the 3 persons share is YHWH

4. The Isralites had a Master-Slave relation with Jehovah that is why they were calling Him Jehovah, while Christians have a Father - Son relation that is why they are refering to Him as Father. Jesus in Lords Day prayer(in the Greek days we don't use the Latin, but the Jewish days, and for Sunday we call it Lords day -Kyriaki) begins with "Our Father". So a child respects the father by calling Him dad and not using the name the way JW's do

• still_in74
    still_in74
    "Actually, other scholars have cited reasons for not using this pronunciation"

references???

Oh wait a minute, the other "scholar" was Freddie Franz!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit