My Draft DA Letter - What do you think?

by daniel-p 33 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Dear family and friends,

This is one of the hardest things I’ve ever written. Please forgive me for the brevity, but it’s essential for the clarity that this most emotional topic deserves.

I’m writing to inform you that I no longer believe that the “faithful and discreet slave,” as we know it, is God’s chosen channel of communication. I no longer believe that the Watchtower Society, or its controlling members, is leading the only true religion on earth, or have any measure of truth beyond that which most other religions purport to have.

I offer no specific reasons for this. Why? Because I have no interest in affecting the faith of others. We all need to make our own decisions, find our own way, and make our own stand. I have to do what I know is right. In general, because of inconsistency of teachings, falsity of claims, unconscionable policy regarding child abuse, and repeated reversals of doctrine, I can no longer place my faith in this religion.

My belief in God and the Bible are separate matters. I have no sense of the Creator or knowledge of the Bible separate from what I was taught as a Jehovah’s Witness, so it’s very hard for me to judge them objectively. In any case, it’s a deeply personal matter for me, and if God is to be a personal force in my life, I must re-discover him on my own.

I have no desire to do things I was taught were wrong according to the Bible. I say this to be absolutely clear in my intention so that there is no room for the spreading of misinformation about my morality.

I made this decision more than two years ago. But only until now have I gathered the courage to let it be known to all my family and friends, and to allow this truth to incur the pain I know it will cause in your hearts. Please be reassured of my undying love for each of you, as I know you have for me—regardless of my belief in the “faithful slave.”

Needless to say, I have no intention of avoiding any of you, but also realize that my “turning away” from the faith will cause a division if you adhere to what the Society directs. Some of you will not communicate with me, and I accept that—if that is what you’re comfortable with. However, if you want to know more about why I no longer believe this is the truth, ask and I’ll be happy to discuss it with you in a calm and non-argumentative manner. On the other hand, if you wish to communicate with me but don’t want to talk about religious matters, I’m more than happy to do that as well.

Above all else I must place the value of freedom of thought: if I can’t reason through my doubts, if I can’t objectively analyze my own faith, and if, in the end, supposed “truth” can’t stand up to scrutiny, or is somehow supposed to be exempt from scrutiny, then I am absolutely positive that the only thing left to do is to accept the wrongness of my prior beliefs.

There is no other way to do what I know is right.

I love you all,

Daniel-P

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

Not bad. May I make a suggestion? You say:

I offer no specific reasons for this. Why? Because I have no interest in affecting the faith of others. We all need to make our own decisions, find our own way, and make our own stand. I have to do what I know is right. In general, because of inconsistency of teachings, falsity of claims, unconscionable policy regarding child abuse, and repeated reversals of doctrine, I can no longer place my faith in this religion.

So you start off telling them you're not going to give examples as to why you no longer believe then at the end of the paragraph you sum up why you no longer believe. That's a contradiction. I would suggest cutting the section I underlined.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Good point, Jringe. I noticed that too, and wondered if I was getting too specific.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

Its a great letter. A bit of advice: Perhaps you could reverse the order that you state things so that it will be more palatable. Leave off telling them at the beginning that you are leaving. Their brains will shut down and they'll not hear what you have to say in the rest of the letter. Just my .02

I wish you well on this endeavor

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I just mailed it for you. Don't worry about the stamp. It's on me.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

The letter is very well nicely said... I'm sure from where you have come and been this should make them think

about a lot of things.

hope4others

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

coolhandluke: good advice. I wondered about that, and think I'll change it. Quirk1: lol! hope4others: I guess that's the intent. To make them think and ask themselves questions without flooding them with information.

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

Yeah that is a little too specific. They read that and they'll think "APOSTATE" and the doors slam shut. Leaving it vague leaves the door open for you to slowly and surely introduce a few nuggets of information here and there that'll hopefully make people think, provided they take you up on your offer to communicate. Even if they don't, by leaving it vague you'll make them wonder what you could possibly be thinking of, what could lead you to leave and the more they wonder the further down the path of independent thought they'll travel.

Along those lines might I also suggest cutting a couple lines? From the first paragraph, the :"controling members" statement and from the one where you talk about communicating you say "In a clam and non arguementative manner". Personally those would raise red flags with me if I were still a JW and again would suggest "apostate" or "critical thinking"

However I LOVE the morality statement and also the paragraph about needing to "discover god on my own". That's good.

In all you should leave it as vague as possible as to why you are leaving while still professing your love and willingness to communicate...if THEY wish to.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Thanks for all the tips, Jringe--very helpful.

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Take care and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit