New expose on JW Book!!!!

by VeniceIT 10 Replies latest jw friends

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

We heard this Author speak at a conference last may. Please note Randy Watters comments & recomendation for this newly released book

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Ed Gruss sucks!!!

• avengers
    avengers

Let him publish the whole book on the internet.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Ed Gruss sucks!!!

lol. Of course Fred, you are our in-house expert on suckers.

HS

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Thanks Venice.

Many of us are already rather familiar with Watchtower date-setting and predictions. I am looking forward to Greg Stafford's new book (hopefully arriving soon!) which will deal with all of these dates in an apologetic fashion. I'll bet it's much more interesting than Gruss' same-old same-old.

• joel
    joel

Thanx for the info V...

I've read alot of books on the subject of course...but I'm always lookin' for a new spin....and unlike Cygnus and others...I'm not familiar with this guy!
    I guess I need to check out this Stafford guy Cygy is talkin' about too! eh dude!

Pax V n all this holiday season!,
    joel

• ISP
    ISP

There probably isn't a great deal of new info there from our point of view. It is good to see such stuff getting into print though.

ISP

• COMF
    COMF

In a publication of this nature, accuracy is going to be a crucial and pivotal matter in the acceptance of the book's material. But simply from the images given here I've seen two instances of carelessness with wording that give wrong impressions.

The comments refer to "these excerpts from the July 1, 1973 Watchtower" and then follow up with, "The April 1, 1972 Watchtower adds..." I realize that it's unintentional and just a poor word choice, but the fact is that a magazine published in 1972 cannot "add" anything to one published in 1973.

Of greater concern to me is the impression given by the following:
    "In 1972 the author published... the book received good reviews, with Prof. M. James Penton stating: [quote snipped] (Apocalypse Delayed. 2nd ed. 1997."

This comes across as saying that when the book was published in 1972, Jim Penton gave it a good review. (cough) Seems unlikely, since he was a solid high-ranking Bethelite at the time and didn't leave until the Bethel witch-hunt occurred several years later.

It disturbs me that a book perporting to expose falsehoods has such careless phrasing in the minute parts of it that I have seen. It makes me wonder how carefully the rest is documented.

COMF

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

Ed Gruss' research is usually very good and my guess is this book will be worth obtaining for those interested in JWs and chronological issues.

BTW, Jim Penton was never a Bethelite.

CatholicGuy

not my webpage but a favorite:
    http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZHOME.HTM

• GatoCat
    GatoCat

I guess I'm confusing Jim with somebody else. I had the idea that he and Randy Watters were part of the group that used to gather to do bible study without the use of Watchtower articles. Thanks for the clarification.

However, my point was that the statement makes it sound like Jim favorably reviewed the book in 1972 when it was published. He was, in fact, still in the organization at that time and did not publish Apocalypse Delayed, where the recomendation is apparently made, until 1985.

Thus, after a trip to the Watch Tower's Brooklyn, New York, Bethel headquarters in the summer of 1979, Jim decided to write a letter of protest to the Society concerning a number of issues. As a result, an attempt was made to remove him as an elder through the collection of solicited letters against him. Eventually this resulted in Jim's disfellowshipment and a major schism in southern Alberta.
    - http://www.xjw.com/penton.html

COMF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit