TV Converter Box Choice?

by garybuss 29 Replies latest social entertainment

• Quentin
    Quentin

We use a cable service, so I don't have to worry, at presnt, about conversion....seems to me it wouldn't matter what brand you buy as long as it works. If you know an "elctronic geek" they could probably build one for you that would out last any thing sold at a store...Good luck with the shopping...

• frozen one
    frozen one

Just bite the bullet and buy an HDTV.

Didn't you hear that those things cause global warming?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/03/2293369.htm?section=justin

• Galileo
    Galileo
    Didn't you hear that those things cause global warming?

I hadn't heard that at all, so I read the article. That article said basically that we don't know what impact manufacturing HDTVs have, that it hasn't been measured. It really sounds like one scientist trying to make a name for himself. If it is ever shown that it has a serious impact, I'll re-evaluate my position.

There's no sense in running out and buying a $1500 tv when you have a perfectly good one that needs a converter box. People are so wasteful.

I suppose you would have said the same thing in the 60's when people were replacing their black and white TV's with color. The difference is almost that great. I don't think improving your quality of life is wasteful. Also, the last HDTV I bought (a 42" Panasonic from Costco) cost $950, not $1500, and it's a very highly rated name brand television, not some generic knock off.

I've got two pretty new Sony flat screens, a 36" and a 32", and a couple older ones that work good. I'm inclined not to watch very much TV. I never watch drama and I multitask with what TV I do watch.

Any TV you bought in the last few years shouldn't need a converter box. I'm almost certain your Sony's won't need them. A TV doesn't have to be HD to not need a converter box, it just has to be able to receive a digital signal. Also, satellite TV is digital by default, so any TV you have hooked up to a satellite converter box is already set. You don't need to change anything or invest in new equipment. It is already receiving a digital signal; nothing will change when the digital transition occurs.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Galileo, if you think buying a hdtv improves your quality of life, you need some priority adjustment and reevaluation.

• Galileo
    Galileo
    Galileo, if you think buying a hdtv improves your quality of life, you need some priority adjustment and reevaluation.

Ha! I love my movies, and I won't apologize for it. In the last few years, I've built a media room, put in outdoor speakers, a pool, built a large outdoor patio with a nice barbecue grill, and learned to be a very good cook. Every one of these things has improved my quality of life. My house is the "party house" among my circle of friends. Every weekend it is packed with my friends, swimming, barbecuing, and/or watching movies. I absolutely love it.

• Galileo
    Galileo

I realize there is a prevailing thought, and maybe it's even true, that watching any amount of television is a waste of time. I happen to disagree. I feel like watching television can be a waste of time, or it can be a very enjoyable form of rest and relaxation. Watching bad television is a waste of time. I have the utmost respect for people that decide to cut television out of their lives completely. I actually did this myself for about two years. But if you're going to watch television anyway, you might as well have the best experience you can while you're doing it. Have a nice collection of movies, get a DVR so you aren't at the mercy of whatever happens to be on at the time and you don't have to sit through commercials, and have a nice TV with a decent home theater setup. It definitely is a quality of life issue.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I rely on over the air channels for all local channels.

Garybuss

Doesn't your Direct TV contract include local stations?

I know they used to charge an additional fee for local service but all the Direct TV offers I have seen in the past year or so now include them in the base price.

However, I'd still want a converter box as a backup if there was a problem with the satellite service.

Rub a Dub

• wednesday
    wednesday

I have version fios . They just sent me a converter box. I have 2 TV's and one is not hooked to fios - it has" rabbit ears." so we are putting it on the converter box. due to the TV's location it can't be hooked to fios. i want a backup box even if we are on fios .

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: Doesn't your Direct TV contract include local stations?

It could, but that would mean a Direct TV converter box on every TV with a monthly rental fee or if I buy them, a monthly access fee of the same amount. The converter box is a one time cost of about $20. The DTV access fee is $5 for each DTV converter a month forever.

We might go that route at some point. I'd actually like to dump DTV. They piss me off every chance they get. I own some apartments and I won't let them put dishes on my buildings. Last time they called me, they threatened me with legal action. Dish Network is worse.

Local broadcasting has never threatened me. That puts em above the dish guys.

• Galileo
    Galileo

"I own some apartments and I won't let them put dishes on my buildings. Last time they called me, they threatened me with legal action. Dish Network is worse." Gary, the law is on their side, specifically section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, and especially the 1998 amendment dealing with renters. If they make good on their threat to take you to court, you should probably give in before wasting your money fighting them. Sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit