One Paper Towel

by DT 26 Replies latest jw friends

• DT
    DT

The district conventions I went to always had signs in the restrooms asking people to only take one paper towel. I've heard other people mention this too. Is this typical at conventions? I used to think that this was just a local decision.

I thought that it was ironic that we were supposed to invite people to the district conventions even if they would have to travel a long distance and then greet them with a stingy message to use only one paper towel. It seemed very inhospitable and ungrateful.

I have big hands, so this "counsel" caused me some moral uncertainty when I was a believer. I wanted to be faithful in what is least, so I would try to carefully absorb the moisture from my hands. The towel would become soaked and my hands would still be damp. I believe it is important to fully dry your hands when leaving the restroom to avoid spreading germs, especially in a place where people are often eager to shake hands, so sometimes I would disregard the counsel and use two paper towels. You just couldn't win. I even worried that my little ritual of carefully soaking the water from my hands could be viewed as mocking the guidance and worried that using two could stumble someone. I eventually concluded that it was more important to be hygienic and considerate of others than to follow an arbitrary rule. I think this was a small step in breaking the mind control of that cult.

It's strange that they would be so careful in conserving paper in that situation when they are so wasteful of paper in other areas.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Use a WT.

• asilentone
    asilentone

They can afford plenty of paper towels!!!!!

• asilentone
    asilentone

If you are going to the assembly, bring your own paper towels in your purse or in your pockets!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Isn't that ridiculous one towel....I'm not using my skirt....not

that I have to anymore....tee hee hee.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I don't remember ever hearing it, but then again, I rarely paid attention.

• donny
    donny

I don't recall the one towel rule, but I remember many of the sisters commenting (complaining) that the mirrors in the restroom were covered in brown paper and a label with the Proverbs 31:30 on it "Charm may be false, and prettiness may be vain; [but] the woman that fears Jehovah is the one that procures praise for herself." This was done, according to the brothers, so that the women would take care of business quickly and return to the "spiritual banquet" sooner.

• minimus
    minimus

"Use a Watchtower".

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Never heard that in my area either.

BB

• blondie
    blondie

I worked with the staff that ran the convention facilities. They couldn't understand the rule since the paper and cleaning products were part of the overall charge for the facilities. I think it was a general rule that got started in another facility that probably charged extra for the towels. But the WTS must be uniform...............the rule finally ended in that facility along with the papering of the mirrors in the women's restrooms.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit