My memory of the 1975 fiasco (born in 1970)

by Lady Zombie 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Drew Sagan posted this fine thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/160876/1.ashx in which a few people remarked that hardly anyone under the age of 40 even knows about the 1975 failed prediction.

I was born in 1970 and I do remember the 1975 fiasco. For what it's worth, here are my memories and how it was explained to me.

Late in 1968 my parents decided to have me because, like many other JWs, they thought that I would never have to deal with the world or go to school. They carefully planned to have me during the year of 1970 because they didn't want to go through Armagedon with an infant, so they figured if I was 5 years old, I would be old enough to run, feed myself, and at least know enough to take shelter from the elements or hide. Many JWs in my parents' congregation all planned their babies around this time as well.

I do actually remember being around 4 and having my parents tell me that I was very fortunate because "the system of things" was just about ready to end and I would never become contaminated by the world. It used to be almost like a game. I have been told that at breakfast I would ask, "is Armagedon coming tomorrow?" We don't know for sure, they would answer. "Is Armagedon coming next week?" and so on. I'd always be asking this question and my parents would treat it like a guessing game. They were happy because they truly expected Armagedon to happen at any moment.

So 1975 comes and goes and Armagedon doesn't arrive. Suddenly my questions about when Armagedon was going to get here weren't fun anymore. My parents were a little rattled. For a year and a half or so, my folks didn't go out into field service but they never missed a meeting. There were several evenings when my parents would whisper to each other. I know now that their faith was shaken to the core and now they had to figure out how to deal with raising a child who was about to start Kindergarten, an event that they thought I would never experience. Things were very tense in my family post 1975.

Many JWs from our congregation and surrounding congregations began disappering. Some went quietly, but others left very vocally. As with the JW way, those who left were viciously labeled apostates and were blamed for over anticipating the society, being impatient with Jehovah, allowing Satan to get to them, and worse, assuming things not in evidence. The GB are experts in covering their asses. When a so called apostate would grouse about 1975, the organization would blame them for assuming that just because 1975 marked the end of 6,000 years, that Armagedon was going to be a done deal. They would wave the bible around quoting the verse about how no one, not even Jesus, knows the hour in which it will come. Basically, if you were a JW and believed 1975 was "it," it was your fault, not theirs.

Faced with two options, 1) leaving the cult, or 2) practicing Orwellian Doublethink to cope with the cognitive dissonance, my parents chose option 2. My parents began joking about my birth time.

Tee hee! We thought for sure that you'd never have to go to school or deal with the world. Well, it's our fault for being too eager and over anticipating Jehovah!

Every year when my birthday would come, they'd make the joke again.

Also, another interesting phenomena of the failed 1975 prediction was the fallout in the years afterward. Many JWs had gone deeply into debt just prior to 1975 because they figured they would never have to repay the money. Many bought new cars, houses, and luxuries that they couldn't feasibly afford. Even though the "materialism" was frowned upon, it was also kind of winked at, especially if they were pioneer JWs, or those who were considered spiritually strong.

In the years after 1975, many janitors, window washers, and part time secretaries found themselves saddled with large debts that would take them 50 years or more to pay off. Many became angry and resentful, and several more left especially when the society blamed them for buying into the 1975 hype.

Still stinging from 1975, in the early 1980's, COs and DOs would scold the congregations in talks about not being patient with Jehovah, grieving Jehovah's spirit, and mummering. They were warned nebulously about "apostacy" and the term "sifting" was used frequently. 1975 suddenly wasn't discussed at all anymore, especially now that the date "1975" and "apostacy" began being linked together.

The 1980's brought a personality change in many witnesses. Once zealous and cheerful, some JWs became sullen and resentful and began turning on others in the congreations. JWs who pioneered prior to 1975 and sacrified good employment opportunities (or school) in order to preach full time, because resentful and vindictive towards other JWs who didn't pioneer or who were considered not as spiritually strong as they because these "weak" JWs were holding steady because they had never given up their steady employment. I distinctly remember one elder turning on another elder and attempted to get him disfellowshiped simply because the man had a decent job with Sony and the other elder had only worked part time and bought luxuries he now couldn't afford.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think the last time I heard 1975, was sometime around the early 1980's, and that was only talked about in worried, hushed discussions.

So I think the only reason I remember 1975, is because since I was born in 1970, I was old enough to retain the memories of that time.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I appreciate you posting that. My parents were sort of the opposite of yours in that they were so sure about '75 that they waited to have kids. My brother was a '76 baby (they wasted no time) and I was a '78 baby. My parents were in their thirties which was kind of late but they were so sure about '75 that they didn't want their offspring to see this system of things.

• penny2
    penny2

Lady Zombie, that's very interesting. In Australia, rather than getting into debt, it was more common to see JWs selling their home to live in a caravan and pioneer until the "end of the system."

It was also frowned upon to continue schooling after the age of 15 (when you could legally leave school).

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie, that's very interesting. In Australia, rather than getting into debt, it was more common to see JWs selling their home to live in a caravan and pioneer until the "end of the system."

I'm surprised too, especially after hearing that a lot of JWs did that (selling their homes, etc.). Maybe it was just a phenomena in my area.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

LZ...you are my youngest brother's age...he was a born in (and never got baptized).... I may as well have been a born in......your experience triggered some memories and tough emotions.... in the same line of thought......sorry if I am hijacking your thread.... .....

My mom was baptized in 1970 and my dad shortly after in 1971 when my little (now middle) brother was an infant and I was around 4. Unlike you, I have almost no memory for anything prior to 1972 or so...my earliest memories of hearing about JWs and 1975 was after 75... I think I was just worried about going to school each day and not getting the $hit beat out of me...

My dad had 17 years in the military before mom started studying.. Because of 1975, he resigned with only one more tour of duty left.... and he was not in danger of getting an overseas or war assignment like today. He could have cruised through the last 3 years and retired at 38. Instead, he lost his pension (because of the stupid "Neutrality" doctrine of the Borg. It was another 10-15 years before he finally got a decent (local) government job. Every time he applied for a federal job, he would attempt to use his DD-14 (?) status as a vet...but when it was revealed that he had quit short of a pension....all of a sudden those federal jobs never seem to have materialized...they figured he must be nuts...

I will say this: If dad had not left the military, it is unlikely mom would have stayed with him. She told me years later she would have divorced him except for the "Truth"...dont get me wrong, she loved him dearly ...he was a mean drunk..something he stopped after baptism...... He was a very emotionally abusive man during my growing up years.... I hate to think how bad he would have been with alcohol on top of it..... he was not a good man in the military..I know..I spent hours reading his military/pscyh release records after he died.... I was at the bank going through his safe deposit box, mom couldnt handle it... I was in the room for so long that the bank staff came and checked on me a couple of times... the "Truth" or should I say, having a higher moral standard than what he had in the military..did change him for the better in some ways... and in other ways intensified some bad characteristics (namely, anything that emphasized male superiority over women).... I loved my dad,...but I wonder what life would have been like had they never found the ::gag:: "Truth"..... I know my youngest brother (7 years after my 1970 brother) would never have been born... that would be sad ....

I dunno.... people made some stupid moves back then.... and they keep making stupid moves today...all because they believe the ramblings of 12 old farts in Brooklyn.

Snakes ()

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I knew about 75 from about 1963, I was 6. My aunt said it was coming and my folks were perennial studies at the time. They saw the hypocrisy in the congregation and didn't get baptized. As a child I thought Satan was responsible for my families woes instead of the usual insecurities of life brought on by a youthful marriage. Needless to say I was baptized in 1974 and inactive by 1975. By 16 I knew the 1975 business was crap. Dummy I am, I came back in 1985 for 13 years more of abuse. W.Once

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

I was an elder in 1975 and bought into the whole thing. We had debates amoung our body

of elders if the end would truly take place in the fall of 1975. The majority of us believed the

Witchtowe Babble and Trick Society. At our circuit assemblies we had a count down

display that showed the amount of months until October of 1975. The big catch phrase

was "stay alive until 75." In our Hall we had standing room only. There we new ones

every week coming in. I heard the senior Franz give a talk where he actually said that if

Eve was created 3 to 6 months after Adam then the Great Tribulation may be delayed until

the beggining of 1976. I told my Bible students that if they did not become JW's that they

would not be alive in 1976. While 1975 came and went, there was a tremendous falling

away in my Hall and of course the WTBTS never said that the end of coming in 1975.

TooBad TooSad

• razorMind
    razorMind

I was born in 1970 and when 1975 came, my parents did not put me in school. I was the only one of their children who did not get enrolled in school when I turned 5. I honestly cannot think of any other reason why they did what they did. It was only a couple of years ago that I stopped and realized what year I would have started school. My JW parents are born-in, die-hard, staunch and very hardcore with it.

• dinah
    dinah

Lady Zombie, I was born in 1968, and I never thought I'd start school. Then I never thought I'd go to the next grade because Armageddon was SO CLOSE. I can't remember actually 1975, being such a big deal at the time. But then, I didn't exactly pay rapt attention.

I can remember the shake up at Bethel with Brother Franz, and all the hysteria. I remember a WT showing a woman throwing a book into the garbage, with a warning to stay away from apostates. I can remember asking my Mom what happened and she just shushed me.

• Alexia
    Alexia

My mother didn't know much about 1975 since she was baptized in 1976 (not sure how long she studied). Since I was born in 1978 the first I heard about "1975" was a DC probably in the early '90s. The speaker was basically doing what the OP said the BORG did/does: blame the people for not putting their faith and trust in Jeh, getting into debt and speculating about when the end would come. Of couse, having not lived through that time period, I believed them. I'm glad there are people here who lived through that, remembers what really happened and can set the record straight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit