My lunch for tomorrow convention

by Iwonder17 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

I never thought of that! The assemblies would have taken on a whole new light!

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Damn thats a good idea... now I'm actually looking forward to the DC lunch.

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

Ah - better yet -

Just don't go?

Stay home, put your feet up, and have a drink while watching/listening something far more interesting!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Prozac and Valium on a drip would be good....just pretend to be sick and infirm....brothers will help you stumble around.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Having grown up in a congregation predominanty Italian and Polish in the New York suburbs, many, including elders, never thought twice about having some of the juices spiked with vodka or wine in juice containers.

Since many of our convertions were outside (Yankee Stadium, Vet Stadium, etc.) you would see many carrying those big gallon-sized thermos jugs filled with .... aahhhh ... juice. Screwdrivers (orange juice and vodka) was always one of my favorites.

Even now, vodka (IMO) is the univeral choice for adding to juices since it has very little if any smell and packs a punch!

Rub a Dub

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    My friend from Taiwan got me to try stinky tofu!

Now your talkin. That will wake everyone up. mmmm....

• veradico
    veradico

My sister and I did that at the last convention we attended. I forget what we drank on the first two days (perhaps cosmos, something rum-based, &c.), but I do remember the last day. In the morning we had French Kiss (a vanilla bean liqueur) and coffee, and in the afternoon we had screwdrivers. The buzz left us shortly before the day ended. I remember really enjoying the odd drama about that scripture wherein Jehovah tells his prophet he can't eat or drink, then another prophet of Jehovah tells the first prophet that Jehovah told him he can have food and drink now, and then, because he ate, Jehovah kills his faithful prophet by means of a wild lion. I forget the Society's application but remember thinking it didn't really suit their usual command to "follow Jehovah's chariot-like Organization when it turns suddenly in a new direction" or to embrace new light. I was far less angered by that drama than when I saw the one about Timothy's rejecting his worldly father's encouragement to go to college in Athens and instead his going with Paul as a missionary. All in all, I had a good time at that convention. We sat at the top of the auditorium, so I read whatever I wanted and napped when I felt sleepy.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Does any restaurant in the U.S. really serve cho do-fu ["stinky tofu']? That stuff is a true paradox. It tastes absolutely delicious, yet it smells just like a baby's soiled diaper. When I first arrived in Taiwan, I remember walking down the street and passing by the numerous chodo-fu stalls selling their product on the street. I remember thinking to myself - "What is that smell!!!" I also remember, after having returned to the U.S. for a visit, jokingly asking a Taiwanese lady who owned a Chinese restaurant if she served "stinky tofu" in her restaurant. She laughed and said that if she served it, she would lose all of her American customers and her restaurant would go out of business.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yes. Here in Dallas (Richardson, actually, a suburb of Dallas) there is a large Asian shopping center with all sorts of different restaurants. There's one that serves the best homemade dumplings I've ever had -- my favorites are the juicy dumplings and vegetarian (with Chinese leeks and tofu) -- and one that specializes in Taiwanese fast food. It's a cool place but the food is a little too heavy for my taste. That's where I had the stinky tofu.

My friend actually got my 12-year-old VERY American son to try duck feet at another restaurant down the street. They serve dim sum on Sundays and we went there for the Chinese New Year Lion Dance. Such fun!

We tried the new Korean restaurant last time we went out for lunch, and that was good too. Wonderfully spicy with lots of "small plates." I love trying new things!

Nina

• Dagney
    Dagney

At one of my last CA's, I brought those little chocolate bottles filled with booze from Trader Joe's. They were a big hit. Even the PO (never knew how he'd react...moody) thought it was a great and had a couple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit