Are Jehovah's Witnesses intolerant? - See what the NY Times shows.

by vivalavida 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Hi all,

This is the first topic that I start.

Anyway, I was reading today in the New York Times that religious tolerance has increased in the states.

However, when one takes a look at the graphic that they show. It is easy to see that the JWs are not.

What do you think about this information coming out on the NYT?

The article is here and the graphic here.

Vivalavida

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Who are those 9 percent who believe peace can be obtained through military force and the 11 percent who believe God is an impersonal force?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

They are probably people who were raised JWs and for some reason still identify themselves as such (e.g. Venessa Williams), but who aren't anywhere near the party line.

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah, the only problem with polls like this is, religious affiliation is self-determined.

I can't tell you the number of people I ran into in field service who said "oh I'm a JW too!". And then you talk to them, and find out they stopped attending meetings 30 years ago, or were raised by a JW grandmother, or studied for 12 years straight without getting baptized, etc., and have not set foot in a Kingdom Hall in decades.

So you end up with weird results like "11% of JWs believe God is an impersonal force", when any real JW expressing such an opinion would be in the little back room with 3 elders ASAP.

• undercover
    undercover
    Venessa Williams

Vanessa Williams was raised a JW? I knew Serena and Venus Williams were...

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

I thought that too!!!

Vivalavida

• hotspur
    hotspur

And 16% think that "there are many paths that lead to God" ..... that one is really at odds with what they have as doctrine!

• jgnat
    jgnat
    sir82: I can't tell you the number of people I ran into in field service who said "oh I'm a JW too!". And then you talk to them, and find out they stopped attending meetings 30 years ago, or were raised by a JW grandmother, or studied for 12 years straight without getting baptized, etc., and have not set foot in a Kingdom Hall in decades. So you end up with weird results like "11% of JWs believe God is an impersonal force", when any real JW expressing such an opinion would be in the little back room with 3 elders ASAP.

I tell you what. Regardless of how the Society rates these people, they are still self-proclaimed JW's. So they count in the polls, even if their stated "affiliation" would shun them in the pews.

• Mary
    Mary

So 16% of Jehovah's Witnesses agree that "many religions can lead to eternal life"?? Either these brothers and sisters have "a bad attitude" or even worse, are "independent thinkers". Every Witness over the age of 3 'knows' that everyone outside the Organization is going to be zapped by Jehovah at the Big A.

I also found the survey on "conception of God" interesting as 82% of Witnesses believe "God" is "A person with whom people can have a relationship" with. According to the Craptower, the only way you can really have a relationship with Jehovah or Jesus, is through the Organization itself.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I tell you what. Regardless of how the Society rates these people, they are still self-proclaimed JW's. So they count in the polls, even if their stated "affiliation" would shun them in the pews.

Excellent point. They are what they are, even though what the are is not what they are ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit