The growing irrelevance of the Watchtower message

by drew sagan 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think that the WT Society always has an undercurrent which is trying for reform. Ray Franz was not the only one of these, and there probably are still such thinkers. One obvious result which hints at reform is the de-emphasis on the "generation" and a general realignment (which nobody understands) on the annointed and the 144,000. These things probably had to be done to avoid embarrasments akin to the 1975, but this time they dumbed it down so much that probably nobody noticed any particular change. Just enough reform to keep them out of the hot water of obvious false prophecy.

So, yes - slight reform does occur. Unfortunately, they also have an invested power structure that hates reform. The power elite tend to be the oldest and most conservative of old watchtower ideas. They are very slow to act, but they tend to dish out the discipline in spades once they figure out that something progressive might be afoot.

And here I think we are seeing the empire strick back in force: A violent hatred of college education, internet, and general human communication outside the official magazines. Continual verbal abuse on "follow the slave", "beware of apostacy", and a set of obvious curbs on local congregational authority.

I agree that they year 2014 could obviously be a critical test psychologically for many older JWs. It may be that the planning to let this slide by will be that 1914 is to be seldom mentioned in new literature - they have about 5 or 6 years to let everybody forget about 1914, so that 2014 will just be another year.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I agree that they year 2014 could obviously be a critical test psychologically for many older JWs. It may be that the planning to let this slide by will be that 1914 is to be seldom mentioned in new literature - they have about 5 or 6 years to let everybody forget about 1914, so that 2014 will just be another year.

I would think that 5-6 years would be too short for them to accomplish such a task especially with a lot of the older generation. There would have to be "New Light" somewhere to make this happen.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Very possibly, Quirky1 - and it would bring joy to our hearts to see an "issue" form around 2014. But then as I have not been around it for over 35 years, I don't really know how long they have been backing away from 1914. For example, the "generation" thing occurred (for the first time) - way back in the mid 90s, right? And that in itself was by extension a "weakening" of 1914.

And many have commented on the childish nature of the latest study materails - hardly any complicated chronology any more, no prototypes and antitypes like Franz used to drool about, mostly just "follow the slave and be faithful".

So, yes - 2014 might be a big morale check for some of the really older ones (people my age when that year comes) - but I doubt that more than one out of ten could adequately tell you in their own words what 1914 was all about in the first place. And considering that nobody under 40 is going to even remember the 1975 issue - I can pretty much see them just stumbling along right through 2014.

Like bumbling old men loose in the street from the nursing home with their pants unzipped and trailing toilet paper from their shoes.

• sir82
    sir82
    nobody under 40 is going to even remember the 1975 issue

In my experience, nobody under 40 even believes there was a "1975 issue".

"Oh, that was just some individuals running ahead of the congregation", or even "Oh, that's just apostates making up lies".

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I never knew anything about the 1975 issue or anything else until I found this site and Randy's. So one can actually blame ignorance for not knowing or understanding the issues with the WTBS.

Until one does their own research they will "never" know or come to an understanding.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

And I didn't know about the "great apostacy" until I went to Bethel.... There are so many JWs who were never exposed to what REALLY happened, nor to what the WTS REALLY teaches.

• iceguy
    iceguy

In my area there were 7 congregations...Once they started a small spanish cong it grew quickly and split. The only growth here has been the 2 spanish cong's and the original 7 english cong's have strugged for the most part with no real growth other than jw's moving into the area.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

After crying wolf since the 1800's till now, don't think that jws fear as much as they once did, but no matter what, Jws are convinced that:

1 WTS is Gods visible org

2 Bible is "God's Word"

3 WE are living in the prophetic time of the end

4 God fulfills his purposes. His word will not fail

And yet, even though jws have this conviction, the sense of "urgency" has cooled in the souls of some (if not many) of the flock and shepherds. This is evident by growing non kingdom pursuits.

THis is my opinion and obeservation.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good topic Drew.

The WTS does not appear to be acting intelligently. Most changes over the last decade have been reactive to legal issues or negative media.

Interesting what you say about reformers. Since the Worldwide Church of God changed from an apocalyptic religion and went mainstream they have lost 3/4 of their membership and had to close down most of their printing and educational facilities. Other offshoots started up trying to maintain the old teachings, but those have fragmented and have low numbers as well. Any major reformation will need to come from a charismatic new GB leader, otherwise it will be detrimental to the group.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I think the 2035 date that's been thrown around may keep some of the old timers around as we blow by 2014. The seeds were planted for that date some time ago so it can certainly get them through to the next generation of JW's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit