The growing irrelevance of the Watchtower message

by drew sagan 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Interesting take. But I do have to agree that they may recognize the need to change in some way. It appears to me that they have noticed a loss and are downsizing because of it. So, what they may be doing is working on retaining what they have.

Making subtle changes that appeal to the members may keep them afloat longer until they can recooperate and establish another plan. Their message is loosing its hold on members and is not interesting enough to attract new ones. They will have to re-evaluate this thinking in order to be attractive to others.

The last couple of congo's I attended were showing decreasing numbers. Since I used to be their account servant I do not know how they stay afloat.

The crippling economy has to be a burden on their donations worldwide. This will no doubt affect the size of their major money makers, DC's and CC's. People who are feeling the pinch may not have the means for accomodations to attend.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Excellent points, Drew...

I would add that the distance in time from 1914 only adds to the irrelevance. 1914 would have made sense had the end come in the 40's and 50's, maybe even 60's or 70's... bit since then, and especially since the restructuring of the generation doctrine, 1914 has become quite irrelevant...WTS's fixation on that date contributed to my awakening.

A@G

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

They are running on fumes, but those fumes are potent and have an intoxicating effect on their members, and even those on the fringes.

The fumes they are running on is fear, and the inevitable (seeming) increase in reports worldwide of wars, famine, bad weather, etc. The world wide population has increased from about 2,5 billion to about 7 billion since 1950. In addition, reports are now sent world wide in a matter of seconds. Put two and two together, and you get: more cramped space, more people living in disaster prone areas and competing for the same resources, and a much more effective media machine telling us about every minute detail from all over the globe every second of the day.

This is enough to keep the witnesses looking out their kitchen windows for "armageddon clouds", and enough for those on the fringes to intermittently come back when the shit from time to time hits the fan.

Fear.

• done4good
    done4good

Very good post, Drew.

I tend to be of the camp that thinks that all of the "defensive" stuff the WTS is doing, is, in fact preparing for its future. I have stated on another post recently, (the long one about the current education edict), that the changes being made may seem disjointed, but, in reality are all related.

Consider what is going on...A major clampdown on information control, (i.e. Sept '07 KM and "Kool Aid" WTs), A reduction in meeting length, and the elimination of a meeting. Then finally, (most recently), the talk of removing elders and MSs if they "encourage" higher education, (in spite of a huge need for qualified brothers). The fact is they expect and want to loose members who won't sell the party line. These people are a threat to the long term well being of the org.

They have figured out that they simply are far worse off having those that are capable of thinking for themselves in the organization. Let's purge them now, shrink the congos, sell off properties, make some profit on them, then figure out how to exist for the next several decades. This is what is really going on behind the scenes.

Remember, about two years ago, a poster, (I believe it was Arthur), posted about a conversation that took place with a GB member that basically said that "big changes" were comming, and if anyone in the org. dosen't accept change, then they would not last in the org very long. That statement seems to make it obvious to me that they simply don't want, (or care about), anyone in the org who could potentially screw up their long term plans.

Yes, they will in fact need to reinvent themselves for survival...they just may be doing that with a completely different member base than they currently have.

j

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Very interesting points done4good.

If your conclusions are true and their long term plan follows along what you are suggesting, then they are doomed. It is nothing more than isolationism and will not survive. That is the basic premise behind my post. Using apocalyptic belief as the foundation of your movement is very unwise. It offers nothing but disappointment. The JW youth are already showing that they barely believe the message. Yes they may verbalize it, but their behavior tells a different story.

As Awakened at Gilead pointed out, the growing distance between the current generation of people on earth and 1914 continues to grow each year. The type of people who would have joined the JWs in the early 1900's through the 1930's would never join the JWs today. They are the type of people who latch onto movements with much more modern relevance. Compare that with a group that may arise tomorrow and begin to proclaim that the end is year. They don't have a 100+ year history of failed expectations, the Watchtower does. The longer you proclaim the end is near, the less people tend to take seriously your opinion.

Think about it. The most exciting thing according to the Watchtower at this point is what happened in it's past. There is nothing to look forward to but cataclysmic change. Yet in the past the movement had the entire world before it. It was in the past they were chosen by God (supposedly) and refined. It was in the past that all the magic happened. Once they set up ministries in all countries are now in waiting mode.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Nice thread,?Drew.

My ex-wife, a JW since the 1950s, told me the other day, "It's happening all around the Earth just like it's supposed to." I assumed she was talking about the earthquake and wars. That's what the WTS is pushing now. The fear.

You can only run on fear and expectations of immediate biblical events for so long with nothing happening, and I think the WTS has pushed it to the limit and beyond.

S4

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

S4

They are chewing their cud.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I think the WTS has pushed it to the limit and beyond.

And unlike other times in the organizations past, the organization is not flexible enough to rapidly move in another direction. It can now be likened to the titanic. It must be turned slowly and cautiously. To many changes to quickly may weaken current members, not enough change hurts the chances of future survival. Will they get the balance right?

• M.J.
    M.J.

Great points Drew.
    I think you have a great point about the future of the organization. The approach of 2014 will be very interesting.

I agree that the org is not as competent as many give them credit for. Time after time you can see that all their changes are REACTIVE rather than proactive.

The basis of the movement stated with the "new and exciting" MESSAGE, a break from the "blind traditions" of the churches.

Gradually the MESSENGER was elevated to the status of the message itself.

By now, JWs are simply adherents of "The Faithful, Discreet Slave"...Blind tradition followers themselves.

• White Dove
    White Dove

If they would just quit kicking people out and ruining their lives, they may be able to grow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit