The growing irrelevance of the Watchtower message

by drew sagan 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    The group definitely relies on a constant stream of recruits coming in WHO ARE NEW TO THE MESSAGE. It's these folks who bring in enthusiasm, cause they haven't lived through the years of the same ol', same ol'. Even if the message seems kind of weird, being based on some far-out 1914 mumbo-jumbo, the seeming chaos presented by the media still helps clinch the deal.

I understand this perspective, but have doubts about new recruits lasting impact.

I was a new recruit in the late 90's and did not last one decade in the organization. The main reason was because the idealistic picture of the organization I had before I became a member dealt with the reality of what the organization was after I became a member. I went right into pioneer work but became extremely frustrated because I did not the see excitement I had as a new member within those who had been JWs for many years. Their lack of enthusiasm eventually made me give up my idealism. I can't help but wonder about how many other converts out there meet with the same disappointment I did.

The organization can bring people in, but how do they maintain that excitement? I doubt that they can. There is nothing that people can grab ahold of that continues them to be active in the faith. You come in with lots of excitement only to realize that everybody else is doing half of what you thought they were.

I realized that most all JWs viewed it as a routine, not as the exciting and thrilling lifestyle they tell you it is. Many JWs make very little sacrifice to be JW, rather they fit it around their regularly scheduled activities.

As for your assessment as to what will happen when new members don't come in fast enough to replace old members, I think there is a possibly that they may be reaching that point faster than any realize.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Drew says,

For those that think that some of the changes they have made recently are a big deal, I would ask you to consider those changes in a much larger context. It may be a big deal for a JW when the structure of a meeting changes, but it is nothing more than novelty.

So true. Don't hang your life watching the fringe edges of society. Let's not forget how boring and banal all this stuff is to outsiders.

I would also like to comment on the idea that the WTS is hoping to scale down to a "core" of true believers. I wonder if such a thing actually exists.

Organizations cannot run on true believer types alone. Organizers and moneymen and gofers are all needed, just like in Iran. The hard core doesn't bring in the dough! They need the lapsed and practical "jack-mormons" for that. :-))

Randy

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

There is another major issue that the Watchtower refuses to address. They refuse to adopt and implement many of the social support mechanisms (such as support groups) that other large churches offer to their members.

I attended a large church in my area that offered over a dozen free support groups for it's members: support groups for single mothers, for those suffering from depression, groups for fathers, those struggling with drinking problems, and groups that were specifically designed for youngsters and teenagers. The Watchtower organization offers nothing of this sort. Not only do they refuse to allow these kinds of arrangements, but they subtly infer that any discouragement is the fault of the member; that they need to have a better appreciation of the "spiritual paradise".

On the Watchtower's treadmill of activity, there is a "one size fits all" system of uniformity that ignores many of the unique and diverse needs of it's members. I believe that this is why so many people give up their activity in the organization out of sheer exhaustion, depression, and discouragement. It is also why so many youths just are not invigorated or inspired very much.

The Watchtower organization could learn a thing or two from other churches. However, they will continue denounce such "time wasters" that are practiced in Christendom. They will continue to swear by their spiritual superiority complex and fail to provide the true and meaningful spiritual enrichment that could have retained the countless numbers who have left and continue to leave. Pride certainly does cometh before the fall.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think all the points posted here are valid.

I guess I believe that there will.....and for a long time,

people that will be gulliable and keep the org going.

I hope not.

purps

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    On the Watchtower's treadmill of activity, there is a "one size fits all" system of uniformity that ignores many of the unique and diverse needs of it's members. I believe that this is why so many people give up their activity in the organization out of sheer exhaustion, depression, and discouragement. It is also why so many youths just are not invigorated or inspired very much.

Labeling it as a "One size fits all" couldn't point out the problem any better. The Watchtower refuses to see value in local congregations having any sort of autonomy, even when it comes down to simple things like social activities. The general attitude is "If it's not scheduled by HQ, it doesn't matter".

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Being run like the business that it is, the marketing to those under 40 is what I believe may cause a decrease in members. In our local area those under 40 will not leave because they have either reached a position or have too many family members that the shunning is just not worth it to them. Those over 40 have given so much to the cause that why risk dying at Armageddon "if" the JW happen to be right. If enough "weeding out" happened it might cause a domino effect. Also, look who is missing the meetings, it is those under 40. As brought out on another post there is such mixed messages- less meetings bit no education-that it is hard for anyone to figure out who is running this organization.

• willyloman
    willyloman

What Jeremy C. said sums it up really well.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I agree with Jeremy C.

People get a very low return on their time investment with the Watchtower.

I was a pastor for years, and know how much personal helps means in people's lives. NOT Bible study in books, meetings or that stuff. PERSONAL HELP.

The WT offers none. Lousy deal, few benefits, no joy.

No wonder so many take a gun to their head.

My former PO in San Luis Obispo hung himself in a tree outside the city.

My former Bethel overseer, Wheelock, jumped out of a window at Bethel, leaving his wife.

Where are the REAL shepherds??

http://www.randallwatters.org/

• oompa
    oompa

how many times can you say the same things...be wrong.....over and over.......be wrong...say the same things......be wrong.......over and over....be wrong....say the same.........oompa

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBTS could care less how many leave..It`s a sign they are the true religion.....They only want hard core nut cases..Willing to hunt Terry down and toss him out the door..........Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit