What's the worst cult?

by Abaddon 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

This was inspired by another poster whole claimed in another thread that JW's were catagorically the worst cult.

I've done a little reading on other cults. Okay, being a JW is quite bad. Really quite bad. But, boys and girls, ex-brothers and sisters, it's not THAT bad.

We might feel that we are bad off, what with Rutherford and Russel and Pyramids and Mexico and Blood and Oral sex and 1914 and 607 and 1975 and vacinations and... okay, okay, we were quite bad off.

But Mormons? Oh BOY! They should be glad that their Holy Book is called the book of Mormon and their chief messinging angel is called Moroni, 'cause if it had been the other way round, well, it would be one religion where it was exactly what it said on the book.

You see, there's this dude, Elohim. Flesh and blood, lives on a planet, and he's got loads of wives, but a problem. They have ickle spirit babies. SO their ickle spirit babies come to Earth, and become humans, and, if they are a good daddy Moron, er Mormon, they get their own planet and become a god!

Wow! We were robbed! All that time and trouble and that endless bloody endless round of meetings and door-knocking, and we were gonna be, like long-lived gardners or something. Mormons have got the deal man! They get to be gods!

And Scientologists. Oh please. Look, if you want to spend an hour holding on to two wires coming out of a voltmeter, and give me $2000, that is FINE by me. I won't try and sell you the jewellery, or the books, or ask you dumb questions. You are clear, okay?

But, seriously, those were some of the good ones.

Reverend Jones anyone? Hey, let's all feed our children cyanide at gun-point. Praise god!

Koresh... I know a woman from another xDub board who delivered his post before all the Messiah crap...

Those UFO nut jobs who killed themselves.

The Children of God? Aren't they the ones where paedophillia was not a crime but past of their beliefs?

Moonies? You think that JW's do mind control? Become a Moonie.

Hare Krishna's? Hmmm... the one's I've met have seemed quite sane, if a little smug. What I've read is ghastly. Dunno...

Death or abuse is only the JW's equivalent of collatoral damage from living in a disfunctional religion, not a standard feature.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Budda Belly
    Budda Belly

I would rank "Chuck Smith Born-Again Christianity"
    up there right next to the Witnesses.

They are identical to the Witnesses in my eyes.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Yeah, I heard scientologists ask you to give them your child and all the children are cared for in a group (no deviant children there then!).

Mormons have more rules than JW from what I can tell. No coffee? No way!

Some groups are truly crazy and dangerous, just look at the Taliban!

Sirona

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You're right, there are worse, far worse.

We can have compassion for others because we have a clue.

On the other hand, the DUbs were our nightmare.

• edward gentry
    edward gentry

Out of all the ones Ive studied, Id say Jonestown was right up there.

Out of the dozens I been involved with Id say the "Elonias Foundation"
    Woman who ran that was ther most manipulative person Ive ever met.
    A real "scanner".

WHAT!!!
    I just reread your original post ab, Edward Gentry did NOT say the Witnesses were a cult.
    Go back and quote me correctly.Then check the difference between a 'cult' and a 'sect'.There are only 3 major sects in the west.
    Dubs, Mormons and Sevvies.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Heaven's Gate was pretty icky.

ashi

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

I have just finished reading a couple book on the Children of God. That was a pretty bad one. Moonies also, mind control and sleep deprivation. Also, the Christian Alamo Foundation. I think JW's are right up there will all of them though. They keep you from friends and family, make you paranoid about judgement and Armageddon and basically make you waste your life and push you away from true salvation in Jesus Christ.

My 2c,

Penn

Mohammed- 'My teachings lead to the attainment of truth'
    Buddha- 'The truth has been revealed to me'
    Jesus- 'I am the truth'

• gumby
    gumby

Buddahbelly: What does chuck smith teach that is similar to the dubs? Just curious.

• Budda Belly
    Budda Belly

Gumby,

Chuck had the year 1980, maybe '81 pegged as the
    year of the end. His understanding
    of the scriptures changes as much as the witnesses as well.

Both born again christians and witnesses both share
    the shortsighted view in life. Wait on Jesus (Jehovah).

Both religions share the same zeal for being gods only
    channel of salvation.

If you have been to a Calvery Chapel, you would see
    the same mind f..k in action.

Born Again Christians are as fanitical about Jesus
    as Witnesses are about Jehovah.

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Buddha, your comments about C. Smith are totally wrong. Calvary Chapel is not a cult and Smiths teachings never change. How about some examples. References or quotes would be good :)

>Both religions share the same zeal for being gods only
    channel of salvation.

Calvary's teaching is that Christ Jesus is the only 'channel' of salvation. Not a church or a teacher, but Jesus.

Penn

Mohammed- 'My teachings lead to the attainment of truth'
    Buddha- 'The truth has been revealed to me'
    Jesus- 'I am the truth'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit