WT loses sextuplets court case

by belbab 22 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

way to go Canada !!

• dinah
    dinah

I would grab those babies and run. What do they look forward too? Eternal sin and guilt.

It's good the courts worked for once. It almost seems like the American judicial systems is a big coward.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yaay! I'm glad the remaining four are doing well.

shamus: That's one thing I love about Canada, eh! Witnesses usually lose those cases.

Not always. The Witnesses won a pivotal court case to allow the distribution of literature. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saumur_v._The_City_of_Quebec

They are used as an example in Canada of civil rights. Too bad they don't offer the same freedom to their own members.

• Mary
    Mary

I took my parents out for breakfast this morning and they had been watching TV when the announcement came on CBC that the Borg had lost the case. Normally my parents would have said something detrimental about it, but I think because my father received plasma last Fall (which he realizes saved his life), they didn't say anything.

Poor Shane Brady comes off looking like such a brainless twit........I hope he doesn't charge the Society by the hour:

Sextuplet parents lose court battle over B.C. baby seizures

Last Updated: Friday, June 13, 2008 | 9:36 PM ET
    The Canadian Press

A child's right to life trumps a parent's charter right to guide their medical treatment in the case of four sextuplets taken from their Jehovah's Witness parents, according to a B.C. Supreme Court judgment released Friday.

'It is apparent the health of these babies was extremely compromised.'— B.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice Donald Brenner

In his ruling, Chief Justice Donald Brenner said the seizure of the four surviving infants for blood transfusions — contrary to their parents' religious beliefs — was medically necessary to either save the children's lives or keep them from harm.

"It is difficult to see how the charter rights of the parents, which they say entitle them to determine the course of medical treatment for their children in this case, could trump the (section) 7 charter rights of the infants to receive medical treatment to prevent their serious personal injury or death," Brenner concluded in a judgment released Friday.

Two of the six babies died shortly after they were born in Vancouver's Children's Hospital in January 2007, and then the remaining four were taken into the custody of the province to be given the transfusions. A prohibition against blood transfusions is a tenet of the Jehovah's Witness faith.

Blood transfusions unnecessary: parents

The couple, who can't be named, claimed the transfusions weren't necessary to save the babies' lives, and argued the seizure breached their constitutional rights.

Shane Brady, the lawyer for the couple, told the court during a hearing last February there was no medical emergency requiring a blood transfusion for these children.

"The children's vital signs were within the acceptable range," he said.

Brady brought in expert witnesses to say that new medical treatment showed the children would not have needed medical intervention.

Each baby was returned to the parents shortly after receiving its blood transfusion, but the parents followed through with an appeal to the B.C. Supreme Court.

Brenner pointed out in his ruling that he had no real remedy to offer the parents.

"Even if I were to conclude that the lower courts erred … I could not grant any meaningful remedy with respect to the blood transfusions," he wrote in his ruling.

Babies needed blood infusions: doctors

Physicians who testified on behalf of the government said they believed the children's hemoglobin levels were dangerously low and that the children needed infusions of blood. Hemoglobin is a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen.

Brenner noted that more studies are underway that may establish it's safe to allow an infant's hemoglobin level to go below the currently accepted threshold, but until that happens, he said, doctors in the sextuplet case made the right decision.

"In this case it is apparent the health of these babies was extremely compromised. I accept the evidence of Drs. Smyth, Soliman and Whyte that the blood transfusion administered to [baby] E on Jan. 27 was medically necessary."

The parents claimed the court acted unfairly by rushing the hearing in a location away from their home.

Brenner disagreed with that argument as well.

"Given the short-fused nature of these proceedings … [and] the traditional procedural fairness criteria in circumstances where children are at risk of imminent death or serious or permanent injury, formal rules around venue should be capable of relaxation."

Brady said at the time of the hearing that the four surviving children were all healthy after passing their first year, considered a milestone for premature babies.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Thank you for the posting. I have been following the story and glad Canada courts have taken this stand. I think there is another case in Canada going on by a JW family with teenage daughter given a blood transfusion against her wishes and another Canadian case by Lawrence Hughes (whose daughter has since died) in a follow up case on June 20.

• sspo
    sspo

Great. I wonder where Jehovah was to help them out on this one.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Looks like Humanity won one and common sense too

Children should be protected from religious ideology , at least until they are of adult age

• White Dove
    White Dove

I would say that since Jehovah didn't protect them against the transfusion, that that tells me that it just isn't that big of deal to Jehovah. If it was, he would have intervened.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I hadn't seen this. Great news!

Kwin

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Good news for the welfare of Canadian children

Great. I wonder where Jehovah was to help them out on this one.

Reminds me of a tape that I found recently about the first Court victory in Moscow, where they won the right to be recognized..The speaker was triumphant and boldly attributed it to "Holy Spirit", don't they always? More recently that case went against them again..Was the Holy spirit lacking???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit