What's the official stand on aliens

by Eh 42 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Another WTS viewpoint that was not able to end the speculation about humans being used to populate the universe.

w543/1pp.158-159QuestionsFromReaders***

On page 360 of the book "NewHeavensandaNewEarth" it states concerning those gaining new-world life on earth: "God will not need to transport them to other planets for any reason or to people heaven with them. . . . He will forever retain them on earth as expert gardeners to maintain it as a glorious paradise to His praise." Is it not presumptuous to limit Jehovah’s human creatures to earth? Is it not a speculative limitation, in view of the fact that 1 Corinthians 2:9 states that man cannot conceive the things Jehovah has in store for the righteous? Could not Jesus’ words at John 14:2 about going to prepare a place for his followers include the preparation of other planets for habitation? Of course, Jehovah does not need human creatures to populate the other planets, as he does not need us for anything; but he could use us for such a purpose. Finally, does not Isaiah 9:7 about there being no end to the increase of his government show an unending expansion of its realm?—E. M., United States.

Fleshly man’s sphere of activity seems to be limited to the earth by Jehovah’s expressed purpose. Such limitation is shown by Genesis 1:28, where a mandate was given to fill the earth, not the universe. Isaiah 45:18 states that Jehovah made the earth to be inhabited, and he will have that purpose accomplished; but he does not make such a statement concerning the other planets. Nor will he people heaven with earthly men, since that environment is unsuited for human existence and flesh-and-blood creatures cannot reside there. (1 Cor. 15:50) Rather than its being presumptuous or speculative to view man as remaining within the boundaries assigned by Jehovah’s expressed purpose, it seems that the presumption and speculation enters when human creatures arrogate to themselves a greater role in universal affairs than has been assigned to them. We should not alter his purpose for us to fill the earth to one of filling the solar system.

To say that man will be retained on earth as gardeners to maintain it as an earthly paradise is not establishing a speculative limitation to what Jehovah has in store for us, since that is the work assigned to man by Jehovah, as stated at Genesis 2:15. But to say that 1 Corinthians 2:9 allows room for believing that men from earth will be transported to other planets to populate them is not only speculative but erroneous application of the text. Paul was there showing that he did not preach the wisdom of this system of things, but God’s hidden wisdom of the sacred secret concerning Christ the King and spiritual Israel in a heavenly kingdom. This wisdom was not understood by the rulers of the world, and as applying to such blinded rulers Paul in verse 9 quotes Isaiah 64:4, but he goes on to show that Christians having Jehovah’s spirit are not blind to what Jehovah has prepared for them but do perceive the Kingdom blessing in store for the body-members of Christ. The text is not discussing the blessings in store for dwellers on a paradise earth, and should not be erroneously applied to them. First Corinthians 2:6-10 (NW) makes all this clear:

"Now we speak wisdom among those who are adults, but not the wisdom of this system of things nor that of the rulers of this system of things who are to come to nothing. But we speak God’s wisdom in a sacred secret, the hidden wisdom, which God foreordained before the systems of things for our glory. This wisdom not one of the rulers of this system of things came to know, for if they had known it they would not have impaled the glorious Lord. But just as it is written: ‘Eye has not seen and ear has not heard, neither have there been conceived in the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love him.’ For it is to us God has revealed them through his spirit, for the spirit searches into all things, even the deep things of God."

At least as far as the planets of our solar system are concerned, there are apparently none capable of supporting human life, aside from the earth. The other planets are not equipped with the air and water and food sources necessary to sustain human life, and to say that Jehovah will make them fit for human habitation in the future is sheer speculation. And it is twisting Scripture to say that Jesus went away to prepare these planets for habitation, using as proof his words at John 14:2. Jesus was speaking to his disciples who would be spirit-begotten and reign with him in heavenly glory. He was going to prepare a place for them, and there he and these body-members of his would dwell together forever as spirit creatures. To twist this to mean another planet with fleshly creatures is gross error. Jesus was not saying he was going to prepare a planet for him and his body-members to live on as fleshly men, at John 14:1-3 (NW): "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Exercise faith in God, exercise faith also in me. In the house of my Father there are many abodes. Otherwise, I would have told you, because I am going my way to prepare a place for you. Also, if I go my way and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will receive you home to myself, that where I am you also may be." How can we with logic take words Jesus spoke concerning things of the spirit and arbitrarily apply them to fleshly matters? Just because he went to prepare a place for the church class certainly does not argue that he also went to make other planetary abodes for men of earth.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

So basically it is saying that no one knows, you shouldn't even speculate about it, so therefore shut up about it.

Yup.

About par for the course with the Org.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I just love the special department at Bethel in charge of coming up with weasel wording.

"It is not a speculative limitation" "Could not Jesus words ----" "seems to be limited to the earth by Jehovah’s expressed purpose"

and then, after hemming and hawing all over this -

But to say that 1 Corinthians 2:9 allows room for believing that men from earth will be transported to other planets to populate them is not only speculative but erroneous application of the text.

Whatever.

• undercover
    undercover
    So basically it is saying that no one knows, you shouldn't even speculate about it, so therefore shut up about it.

Yet they can't shut themselves up from speculating about shit they have no idea about...

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK - probably Blondie will know whatever there is to know about this related topic:

If the JW are so all-fired sure that mankind will live forever (literallyforever!!!) on a Paradise Earth - then how do they explain away the eventual expansion and collapse of the sun - after the Hydrogen>Helium cycle runs it's course? Do they know how the sun even works? Are they also even aware that the Andromeda Galaxy is on a proven collision course with the Milky Way?

possibilities -

1. they choose to ignore such things by "trusting in Jehovah" - (this means buy into all watchtower unscientific nonsense hook line and sinker)

2. The spirit annointed creatures will renew the sun from time to time, and they will just push aside any errant stars from the Andromeda impact.

3. We may eventually be beamed over to some other planet (well, that would practically be putting the lie to eternal paradise on earth, so I guess this one is not too likely)...

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If life is ever found in outerspace it would change the way I view things.

The fact that life hasnt been found outside of earth is just one of many nails in the coffin of evolution.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

My wife's an alien, but she's applied for citizenship.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Actually, my dad (who was an elder, so you KNOW everything he ever said was absolutely right) said that aliens were real but they are actually demons. He said if I ever got abducted that I should ask the aliens if they knew whe Jehovah was and they would bring me back. I think I would have taken it a step further. I would have given the aliens my watchtower presentation for the month. First, instead of probing my ass, they'd shove the probe in my mouth to shut me up. Second, they'd return me where they found me and go home, never to return because based on my presentation, they would deduce that planet Earth is devoid of intelligent life.

• zagor
    zagor

I don't know if anyone commented on it yet but there has been an Awake magazine about UFOs and if you read between the lines they seemed to believed in it but tried to divert attention to "service" blah blah. I remember reading there for the first time that there has been report by some Roman historian about so called "flying shields" I was very surprised wtbs would even include something like that which effectively confirm belief in physical extraterrestrial beings.

• trevor
    trevor

To clear this matter up let me remind you all -

It is generally accepted that Jehovah's witnesses are from another planet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit