Embarassed at school for being a Witness - Did this happen to you?

by Witness 007 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    Actually no I never was, although I know some that were - I was different, cool because I was an enigma. I just never much followed the whole JW thing in school, I guess I learned that duality young - that was my time to be whomever I wanted, no I never saluted a flag or sang the national anthem, but I made it known it was because I was "forced to" because of my parents. I went to school with a lot of different types of kids/religions, so it wasn't that big a deal.

Layla I was the same way. I had more non jw friends than I did jw's, I was never picked on by kids for my "parent's religious choice" and I made it known that it was my parents religion not mine. There was this one holier than thou jw family two girls around my age that always told on me. Once I had a birthday cup cake and "L" told her mother, who in turn told my parents. Do you believe my parents took me to the elders to explain why this was wrong? I remember being 9 or 10 sitting in front of two elders and my parents get'n the riot act read to me because I ate a stinking cup cake! I really didn't care and it definately wasn't the last time.

I hated the elders and most of the time my parents too, F*&^$%% JW's!

nj

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Witness, you wrote:

except afew of us Witness kids who stood out like a saw thumb....

At least you weren`t alone. I`m from a small town in Norway, and I was the only jw-kid in school. Thank god we don`t have that pledge of allegiance-thing here.

Then theirs birthday

I don`t know what was worst: In the first and second grade, having to explain why I couldn`t come, or later, when they had stopped inviting me.

holidays

Our "holidays" was the conventions...

religious studies

Ah yes, being the only one to stand up and leave the class room, being stared at by all the others. There goes the weirdo. That was really "nice".

I fu##ing hate that religion.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

I'm only embarrassed in retrospect. LOL

• DJK
    DJK

I always stood for the flag salute and the national anthem. Never put my hand on my heart, recited or sang. (Until senior year)

The most embarrassing part of school for me was the no fighting or hitting back rule witness children were supposed to adhere to. There were some bullies that took advantage of that. By seventh grade, the rage inside was so strong I couldn't take it anymore and I seriously hurt a few bullies.

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

Annointeds Daughter said:

I remember being very disappointed when the WT changed the view about the national anthem. Originally we needed to remain seated during it. Then, in the Revelation book p. 196, they presented an illustration of a JW's kid respectfully standing up during the national anthem or Pledge of Alliance, but not placing his right hand over his heart. Where I grew up, the only requirement when listening to the national anthem was to stand up, we weren't required to place our hand over our heart. If the WT was OK with this, then I shouldn't have had to face so many embarrassing moments during my school age years. I'm still upset about this!

AD

And StAnn asked:

They changed their on the national anthem? When? I need scans!!!!

I think AD is likely mistaken with regards to any "change in view about the national anthem"; and also with regards to the illustration in the Revelation book. Although the publication doesn't appear to say a single word with reference to that illustration, I get the feeling that the kids are reciting the Pledge of Alliance rather than singing the national anthem.

I sometimes attend sporting events where the national anthem is played over a loud speaker, but the only way the audience participates is by standing and removing their hats. Most place their hats over their hearts. However, none of the audience sings. Those without hats simply stand. Essentially, then, participating in the national anthem involves the act of *standing*. Therefore, JWs cannot *stand* for the national anthem.

So I don't believe that there has been any "change in view about the national anthem". If someone knows better than me, I'd be happy to have you correct me.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Without going into details, I was so traumatized as a JW kid in school that, 6 years after I left school and my son was born, I left the JWs. There was no way in hell I was ever going to put my child through the JW kid experience.

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

My sister and I got expelled from school in Mexico for not saluting the flag. I was 9 and she was 6.

• Annointeds Daughter
    Annointeds Daughter

Pallbearer- I believe the idea that it was OK to stay respectfully standing when the national anthem was played may have been the interpretation of some of the Elders where I grew up, including my father, based on some articles in the Watchtower. For example, on the WT02 9/15 p.23-24, there is an article that says (I'm translating from Spanish) that the flag is normally saluted adopting a particular position such as with the hand over the heart, and in such a case "true Christians" can demonstrate that they are respectful observers remaining standing while others participate in this act. Also, this article mentions that when the national anthem is played; if Christians were already standing they could remain in that position (they didn't have to sit down). If it is expected that the audience stood up and sang the national anthem, then respectfully standing up without singing is ok.

In the majority of the cases when they played the national anthem at my school, students were already standing since it was played at the beginning of a ceremony and what they usually said was: "Please remain standing for the national anthem". At that moment the only one who immediately sat down was I.

I later asked other young JWs what they did at school when they played the national anthem and the common practice with the majority was to stay respectfully standing without their hand over their heart.

Again, all this attention to details on how to interpret a passage from the Bible (the one about the 3 young Hebrews and Nebuchadnezzar's gold image) seem very Pharisee to me now.

What was your experience?
    AD

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Pallbearer, Annointeds Daughter

There was a slight modification. I remember that one had to make a 'stand' (pardon the pun) by sitting when the national anthem was played. But then it depended on what 'the act of worship' would be. If the 'act of worship' was standing for the national anthem, then remain sitting. If it was standing and singing, then stand but refrain from singing.

The only documentation I can find at the moment is w.60 2/15 p.127 and w.74 1/15 p.62 - if that's any help.

• odie67
    odie67

when i first started school i was ready to defend the truth like true warrior. When I reached the 3rd grade I learned to shut up. I used to carry my bible story book around and try to preach to the kids at school and family members. The breaking point for me was when one of my male cousins told me to knock it off because i was irritating everyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit