Anyone know who wrote the Truth book?

by Olin Moyles Ghost 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Harry Peloyan told me he worte the Truth book. He said after the books, "Things In Which It Is Impossible for God to Lie," and then a year later, "Life Everlasting-In Freedom of the Sons of God" were not exactly literary hits with the public, something had to be done because everyone knew that these two books were not selling. No Sales, no money! So he went into Knorr's office and very carefully suggested to Knorr what he thought was needed . He told me the "Impossible" book was Knorr's idea and he was very touchy about any criticism of it, and the other book was Freddie's baby, so he had to be careful what he said about it. Harry was annoyed that Freddie always got his way with Knorr when it came to suggestions about future publications. Consequently, the Society was publishing Freddie's prophetic-type books which Harry thought were worse than stupid. So he buttered up Knorr telling him the last two books were excellent ones for the flock because they were deep, but what was needed was a simple doctrinal Bible study book to be offered to the public which could be studied for only six months. Harry helped Knorr think this idea was sort of his and then Knorr assigned Harry to write it. I clearly remember Harry proudly discussing how over the years the Truth book outsold every book other than the Bible, but at the same time he was angry over the silly maneuvering he had to go through with Knorr to get him to see what was needed. He also said that the Truth book financially saved the Society.

Barbara

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

According to Wikipedia, the second most published book in the world is Chairman Mao's little red book. Makes sense given the population of China and the fact that every child is give a copy.

Here's a link listing dozens of others. Truth book doesn't even make the list. JW's are legends in their own minds only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books#List_of_best-selling_single-volume_books

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Barbara,

Thanks for those great insights and peeps into the past -- a little like a taste of home.

All the best to you and Joe.

Frank

• loosie
    loosie

I don't know who wrote it but the song "crystal blue persuasion'' was written about the truth book.

• sinis
    sinis

Nope, that song is about Meth...

• Satanus
    Satanus

'"crystal blue persuasion'' was written about the truth book.'

'that song is about Meth...'

It's the same thing, ain't it?

S

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Satanus - It is the same thing. It kills.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

James has not publicly expressed the origins of Crystal Blue Persuasion; the oft-repeated inspiration being the Truth book may be apocryphal (though there are reasons to think he may have been receptive to the Witnesses at the time the book was being heavily promoted).

The Truth book was a Guinness Book of World Records entry for most-distributed/sold book for some time, at something like 65 million copies.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I think it was 55 million copies printed over 14-15 years. The book were aggressively taken to the public and sold in exchange for the JW leaving their front porch. Who knows how many were actually sold much less read. The DaVinci Code topped that in actual sales in a couple years and the public went to the sellers and asked for them.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Thanks for all the replies: both funny and serious.

Barbara, that's a neat story about Peloyan. Thanks for sharing that with us. I really enjoy your (and others') Bethel anecdotes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit