"Even if it isn't true" - how many of you heard this one recently?

by hamsterbait 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beksbks
    beksbks
    What's going on in those dubbie heads?

Not much.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I've said this same thing to a few friends who were on the way out over the years. I feel like a big retard now.

And when I was telling a friend about my leaving (saying goodbye basically) he said the same thing to me. I just laughed. My elder dad has said this to me when I make him admit his doubts.

Where did we all learn this anyway, I can't imagine it's in print?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That is one of the most blatantly specious arguments for staying in. "Even if it isn't the truth"--well, why would you want to support a known scam? Supporting pedophiles, spreading lies about the Bible as fact, helping start the Second Dark Ages--that is NOT the best way! The best way of living? To me, I would rather be committing fornication without some washtowel telling me not to, than going from door to door with that stupid message. Wasting all my time dressed up in an uncomfortable suit peddling littera-trash is not my idea of the best way of living. And going to the boasting sessions where I can be hounded about every little thing I choose to do is nothing more than stagnation. In fact, I eventually came to the opposite conclusion. Even if they were right, I wanted nothing more to do with them. I saw nothing more than stagnation, continued sexual repression, and Dark Ages like mentality, forever. I would rather get destroyed than have to live like that for all eternity. And why reward Jehovah for all the hell He has, and is planning to, drag me through?

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

My 34 year old son stated to his best friend, raised a jw but never bit : I don't know if it is the truth, but IT WORKS for ME....

NMG

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Yep, heard that answer in a Watchtower study by an elder years and years ago.

• logic
    logic

They should make next years text to read, "It may not be the truth , but isn"t it a wonderful way to live." No scripture needed.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel
    Where did we all learn this anyway, I can't imagine it's in print?

This is a really good question. I have heard it and said it many times too. Where did we get this from? Were they putting tape recorded messages under our pillows while we slept when we were children?

How about the flip side: when I asked friends of mine why they were leaving - before I myself woke up - some said "I know it's the truth, but..." meaning it wasn't the best way of life, and even if it was the truth, they couldn't hack it. I think it makes a lot more sense than the canned response you get from a JW.

Rachel

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    CASPER SAID:

I remember saying to my study conductor...

"What if this isn't the truth, what if you all just live in a fantasy world..?" and she replied, "Well, if it's not the truth, I'm sure Jehovah will understand and realize that we tried the best we could and will bless us for our efforts."

Oh, that's rich!! Yeah, he (Jah) understands that you ddn't "realize" and were "trying the best you could" and will bless you for your JW ignorance if it's "not the truth", but he'll slay everyone else. I see how that works and makes sense!!

(Can you say circular non-sensical logic?)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If that's the best life has to offer I'll shoot myself today.

W

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    besty said:

For me it comes down to self-justification and the difficulty we humans have in putting our hand up and saying "Yes, I am wrong"

Self-justification is fuelled by cognitive dissonance - so I suspect in the case of JW's coming up with the very lame "its the best way of life even if its all horsesh*t" are particularly troubled by some of their JW lifestyle choices and values and their perception of the way reality is unfolding for them.

Next time you hear this perhaps tactfully enquire about areas of their life they would change given a blank sheet of paper. Could get interesting.

Brilliant. I agree. With a statement like that, they are revealing there are things they have questions about... draw them out and find out what they are. Remember, the "finding common ground" for reasoning routine?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit