Our CO gave a talk to kids. Stay OUT of school!

by easyreader1970 56 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

Add to that list of why Ph.D.'s live on the streets: LIVING BEYOND ONE'S MEANS.

I don't believe that it is in the WTS best interests to encourage college because once a person takes that zombie no thinking busting class called critial thinking, it's all down hill from there for their faith. All sorts of holes get punched in their faith when people begin to think for themselves and learn how to do effective independent research into sources outside of the publications.

• VM44
    VM44

Who needs college? Remember, reading the Awake! magazine regularly gives one the equivalent of a college education!

• John Doe
    John Doe

Statistics have shown that a person holding a 4 year degree earns on average a million more dollars over the course of a lifetime. Of course, no one is guaranteed a job, but one would be foolish to discount an education because of no guarantee, given the odds of success with one.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm angry now. Add to the list again with SHIFTING THE BLAME FOR FAILURE ONTO OTHERS AND NEVER TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR ONE'S ACTIONS. You cannot learn anything if you are not willing to take responsibility for your own mistakes. We all learn from mistakes.

Add IMMATURITY to that list, as well.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

White Dove: "One poster said that a degree didn't guarantee a job and that we were foolish to think so."

If you've been in the organization for any length of time, you have heard a talk where this point (i.e., that a college degree doesn't guarantee a job) made. The application is always that because of this it's dumb to go to college.

Even when I was a card-carrying, FDS-obeying, regular pioneering JW, I disliked this reasoning. It's one of the oldest logical fallacies in the book: "the straw man." Of course a college degree doesn't guarantee a job. I've never met anyone who said that it does. But does that mean you shouldn't get one? Think about it this way: Under JW doctrine, being a JW does not guarantee salvation. Does this mean you shouldn't be a JW? Of course not! (according to their view)

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

It's tough to keep the kids on the farm after they've Paris

• rmt1
    rmt1

Although Brooklyn certainly benefits from advanced skill sets that can serve as trophies in individual congregations or as life savers in pedophilia lawsuits, the only MONEY Brooklyn needs is that generated by dopamine, the cheapest motivator on the planet. All you have to do is tell the best tall tale to solicit the most investment from your listener. If your listener is not acquainted with other, more competitive tall tales (e.g. Illiad), then they'll stick with you and keep generating the dopamine that gets them through their long blue collar day. All you need is a certain critical mass of these blue collar dopamine-driven to continue reproducing as 'proof of concept', and their fine tableau example will suck in other unfortunates, 'new ones' with elevated dopamine viewing such spiritual bliss, in order to sustain the cycle. "Keep in anticipation..." of some truly interesting new twist on present Truth. "Faith is the assured expectation of things unseen, the evident demonstration of realities not beheld." "Elevated dopmine is a result of anticipation of reward." - http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/8113/8113pittcon2.html White Dove- getting angry isn't all dark side. If you know the direction that you want to go with your years-till-life-expectancy, then plow your anger into it. There is so much to know and explore that the rate of discovery (mathematically, the slope or derivative) may be at times steep enough that it eclipses the lingering, unforgettable tragedy that was the JW experience. I say at times, because while I could be studying at this instant, I am at this moment admittedly indulging in schadenfreude, in that I delight to discovery what latest stupidity has been foisted upon the faithful, and whether or not they have fallen for it (again). Alternately, I try to cheer on those adult nontraditional students, who will reap more pure joy in unhindered exploration in a year than hardcore JWs will get in several.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit