Which is worse, Adam's sin, or God's reaction to his sin?

by Dirty Rat 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dirty Rat
    Dirty Rat
    God is Master of the Universe. As such, he has the right to make rules and HE gets to decide consequences of disobedience--and he also rightly defines what is right or wrong.

But only 1 disobeyed.

If I run through a red light, should you get the ticket also? Also, why would imperfect people pay for the error of a perfect person? I agree that Adam broke God's law, and HE should have some sort of penalty.
  • journey-on
    journey-on

Don't look at this account as literal, i.e., "Eve was tricked by Satan disguising himself as a talking snake into

disobeying the creator of the universe by eating a fruit off of a forbidden tree. Then, she, in turn, convinced Adam

who had a long-term relationship with his Maker, that the Maker was wrong and the talking snake was right, and

so if he really loved her, he would eat the fruit, too. So, Adam, being p*%sy-whipped, gave in and took a bite and

now the whole of mankind is in deep doo-doo because of it."

I cannot believe this "story" is or ever was literal. Now, try to figure out the mystery behind it and we might be

able to get past these anger issues we have with the Creator.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

...did Adam do something wrong?

Nice first thread, Dirty Rat! Hello and welcome!

Cheers,
    Baba.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    God is Master of the Universe. As such, he has the right to make rules and HE gets to decide consequences of disobedience--and he also rightly defines what is right or wrong.

It's funny how some believers always fall back on this when God's actions cannot be defended. Why did he impart humans with standards of right and wrong that he himself is not obliged to follow? How are we to view his standards as righteous, when he himself has such disregard for morality? It's like telling your child not to drink alcohol, while snorting cocaine through your nose, and then expecting the child to react by saying, "You're the parent, you know best."

• Galileo
    Galileo

The God of the bible is a big dick. I don't know how the sole creator of all things develops such self-esteem problems, but its pretty sick to torment people into loving you, whether you're the supernatural creator of all things, or anyone for that matter.

Good thing he gave me free will so I can say so. You're a Big DICK, sir. Thanks for creating me, now leave me the fuck alone Mr. Crazypants.

Maybe God needs to sit down with Dr. Phil for a few hours to really get his issues out there. That's the only way the healing can begin.

Best post ever! I laughed my ass off.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

The Potmaker and His pots? A couple of people who - for some reason - were not 'pots':

Gen. 18:23, 27, 28, 32 (KJV)"And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked? [...]And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which [am but] dust and ashes: | Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for [lack of] five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy [it]. [...] And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy [it] for ten's sake."
    Exd. 32:9-12, 14 (KJV) "And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it [is] a stiffnecked people: | Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation. | And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand? | Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people. | And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

If someone today questions the God of the Bible, it's suddenly "God can do whatever he wants, you're just clay in his hands to do with as He likes." But in the Bible, certain people were allowed to argue with, and even change God's mind. Were Moses' ethics and sense of justice better than God's? How could he change God's mind and make Him regret His rash decision?

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

HI ....Good to hear some logic from some ppl out here. This kind of reminds me of when in the Greek Scriptures, Paul i think it was said that God showed him creepy crawlies and he called them disgusting and unclean and then he was told stop calling disgusting what I call clean and ok that was about conversion stuff but principle is still evident.. no matter where you look in the Bible He seems to make the rules He seems to be able to make break bend any rule to HIS liking whenever he feels like it. He is God and its ok for him to do that but if WE did that ....Poof! your Dead!....Were not supposed to use our mental abilities to figure things out for ourselves and come to a logical conclusion ITS God that can and does that for us....well if thats the way it is then MAYBE ITS ALL MAKE- BELIEVE A folk story, myth, THe thing i find intresting is the amount of details that are missing from the initial story. In the begining God created the ....why not start by telling us about YOUR self? tell us where u came from right away, tell us all about yourself. But no all we get is an slip shod account of creation. ..AND personally for me as soon as I read (after being DFd.mind you) that GOD brought animals to Adam for him to choose a mate from it hit me..holy shit..this is MYTH!!!..how could he know the purpose for the earth if he didnt even know? who or what ?. to give Adam for a marriage mate.......so the whole adamic sin story is make believe for me.

• loosie
    loosie

What ever happened to that scripture that said " I do not hold the sons accountable for the father's sin"

Yeah Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Here's what Adam did: He ate a piece of fruit. That fruit would otherwise have rotted and gone to waste. Total damage: zero.

Here's what God did: He caused all the problems we see. He gave us hardships that were not needed. Total damage: More than 6 billion deaths, and people stagnating and suffering.

I think it's pretty obvious which is worse.

• ItalianJW
    ItalianJW

This is my first post here. I'm italian, and I'm sorry for my little English. If everything is gone as Genesis recounts, and in case of we have to read literally that story . . . I thing that, what is worse, is absolutely God's reaction. There are many reason why I believe that. In the entire question there was the Devil's influence. Something different from mankind was involved. If Adam was taking the decision for itself, without a spiritual creature's influence, then all things could have a different reading key. But in some way, becouse God has permitted to the Devil to have an influence in human decision, that has caused an displacement in human liability.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit